Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
film to watch
19 January 2012, 09:00,
RE: film to watch
I liked the film, although predictable.

One thing that confussed me was the lack of plant life and water. Considering our planet is 70% water, it would be difficult to imagine it totally disappearing. When it comes to plant life, I think the film said the earth was scorched. But even after huge forest fires, a couple of months later there is new life growing.

People will be that barbaric, but the world will have more colour than that film portrays.
19 January 2012, 09:54,
(19 January 2012, 09:00)Scythe13 Wrote: I liked the film, although predictable.

One thing that confussed me was the lack of plant life and water. Considering our planet is 70% water, it would be difficult to imagine it totally disappearing. When it comes to plant life, I think the film said the earth was scorched. But even after huge forest fires, a couple of months later there is new life growing.

People will be that barbaric, but the world will have more colour than that film portrays.

It would only take a mega conflagration to truly screw up the biosphere, some experts point out that if you nuked loads of cities not only would you destroy the cities but the massive fire storms would release huge amounts of pcps and other dealy toxins into the artmosphere that would act like a persistant defoliant similar to agent orange. Just imagine the amount of shit being released with the burning of millions of miles of PVC wrapped domestic household wiring?

19 January 2012, 10:05,
(19 January 2012, 09:54)NorthernRaider Wrote: Just imagine the amount of shit being released with the burning of millions of miles of PVC wrapped domestic household wiring?

That is the industry I work in, cables.

There are 2 main types of SWA (Steel Wire Armoured, which is power cable). PVC and LSF (although LSF also has LSOH). LSOH is Low Smoke Zero Halogen and LSF is Low Smoke & Fumes. PVC is cheaper but much of that is underground. In a house itself the majority of wiring is 2C+E (2 Core and Earth) which is relatively low fume as well. You will also find lots of CT100, but that is used in case of fires, so is pretty safe really.

The biggest concern would be the carpets and lino-flooring. Those would produce SOOOOO many more fumes!

It's the older wiring that will be a danger.
19 January 2012, 10:44,
(19 January 2012, 10:05)Scythe13 Wrote:
(19 January 2012, 09:54)NorthernRaider Wrote: Just imagine the amount of shit being released with the burning of millions of miles of PVC wrapped domestic household wiring?

That is the industry I work in, cables.

There are 2 main types of SWA (Steel Wire Armoured, which is power cable). PVC and LSF (although LSF also has LSOH). LSOH is Low Smoke Zero Halogen and LSF is Low Smoke & Fumes. PVC is cheaper but much of that is underground. In a house itself the majority of wiring is 2C+E (2 Core and Earth) which is relatively low fume as well. You will also find lots of CT100, but that is used in case of fires, so is pretty safe really.

The biggest concern would be the carpets and lino-flooring. Those would produce SOOOOO many more fumes!

It's the older wiring that will be a danger.

Thanks for that its very informative and useful. The last item I read on this issue was PCP particles were being found in increasing numbers in Antartic fish and wildlife and the ologists think its coming from a spot in China where the local oiks burn old cables and circuit boards to recover precious metals. The dopey bastards are poisoning the local land more millions of years.

19 January 2012, 11:22,
Guys,

In the timescales we think in there would be devastation. In the timescale of the planet a few million years settling down after an event is not even the blink of an eye.

There was a mural I remember at my school. They showed the life of the planet all the way around the room. So many million years to a cm or something. The dinosaurs took a clear patch of space, us humans were less than the thickness of the pen. Puts us in our place in history. We could come and go and not even be noticed by whatever creature is doing archeology in a billion years.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
19 January 2012, 11:35,
Yeah but we are here now on this little ball of rock in space with no place else to go, and we are shitting in our own nest. This generation is the first in many generations who are leaving the world in a worse mess for our kids, instead of better.

19 January 2012, 11:59,
I hear that all the time. Pollution is down in civilised countries by some way. We don't have factories belching out smoke and pollution the waterways. Rivers are monitored and are now returning life. The biggest issue is the developing worlds and we can influence that. Of course our politicians in the 'hate the West' PC way do exactly the opposite of what is needed by allowing them to pollute while we cannot. If we refused to trade with China until it met pollution levels then we could make a difference as it is China is adding a UKs worth of poullution every few months. Even if we cut our pollution to zero it would be replaced by China within a year while we went back to the stone age.

Remember when anything goes wrong. Politicians did it. Useless fucks.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
19 January 2012, 12:14,
(19 January 2012, 10:44)NorthernRaider Wrote: The last item I read on this issue was PCP particles were being found in increasing numbers in Antartic fish and wildlife and the ologists think its coming from a spot in China where the local oiks burn old cables and circuit boards to recover precious metals. The dopey bastards are poisoning the local land more millions of years.

That would make sense. The older cables were less well protected. The UK regulations, and the German (who are super efficient with technology and especially cable sophistication) are so tight, that any cable being burned, that meets regulations, would not be a big contributor.

The older cables are the ones to really F*** things up. Producing them over in China and India causes huge polution, but the UK, German and EU regulations don't apply over there. There are some companies, that I won't name for legal reasons, that import the crap low quality (and lower price) cable to use and sell in the UK market. But most of the big contractors don't touch that stuff.