Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the 12 day rule.
13 April 2013, 20:40,
RE: the 12 day rule.
sheeple seem to think they can buy food etc any time
we have friends who eat out mostdays and only keep biscuits and a few shacks in when we have it cold and lots of ice a few years ago their hill was a sheet of ice for days and they couldn't get out they went very short of food silly fxxkers
people should keep at least a week in
13 April 2013, 20:46,
(13 April 2013, 10:10)bigpaul Wrote: anybody heard of this?? seems in a large event humans need 500 calories per day, somewhere dry and warm, and need a minimum of 6 hours rest per 24 hours, failure to get all this the body shuts down and people start dying......could be then when TSHTF we would be looking at a large die off 12 days+ after the actual event.

You certainly do not need 6 hours rest in any 24 hours, soldiers do that often, so that's a complete untruth, I have done it many, many times and I still live, and provided you get food and water the body [ and mind ] will start to adjust to a lower level of rest than 6 hours over a period of time

You do not need 500 cal a day every day, there are days that you dont need to eat at all, how many of us have been really ill and not eaten,.. we are still here, we didn't die,.. the average person can go for about 3 weeks without food before death,... mind you, you will be fairly rough after a week,.. even some diets suggest that you eat one day and not the next

After 12 days without food some will have died, but providing they get water and the person was healthy, then there will be many weak people out there, [ dieing maybe,.. but maybe not yet ],.... but there will be food around for a while, either gathered, stored or stolen,.. so 12 days is too early to see much death I think
A major part of survival is invisibility.
14 April 2013, 08:54,
(13 April 2013, 20:46)Highlander Wrote: You certainly do not need 6 hours rest in any 24 hours, soldiers do that often, so that's a complete untruth, I have done it many, many times and I still live, and provided you get food and water the body [ and mind ] will start to adjust to a lower level of rest than 6 hours over a period of time

You do not need 500 cal a day every day, there are days that you dont need to eat at all, how many of us have been really ill and not eaten,.. we are still here, we didn't die,.. the average person can go for about 3 weeks without food before death,... mind you, you will be fairly rough after a week,.. even some diets suggest that you eat one day and not the next

After 12 days without food some will have died, but providing they get water and the person was healthy, then there will be many weak people out there, [ dieing maybe,.. but maybe not yet ],.... but there will be food around for a while, either gathered, stored or stolen,.. so 12 days is too early to see much death I think
sorry my friend, i have to disagree. i did 12 hour shifts when i worked in the telephone exchange, with maybe 2-3 hours sleep, and we felt really rough by the morning. yes you can go for 3 weeks without food but people arent going to be in very good condition even after 12 days without food, their going to be very weak, i think i read somewhere that if you go without food for a long time the stomach starts eating its own lining? i think a lot of food will be damaged or destroyed in the initial rioting and violence, especially in the cities where there are more people the food is not going to stretch so far and with no more supplies coming in people will start starving fairly soon on, especially those with no food stores to start with.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
14 April 2013, 11:27,
(14 April 2013, 08:54)bigpaul Wrote:
(13 April 2013, 20:46)Highlander Wrote: You certainly do not need 6 hours rest in any 24 hours, soldiers do that often, so that's a complete untruth, I have done it many, many times and I still live, and provided you get food and water the body [ and mind ] will start to adjust to a lower level of rest than 6 hours over a period of time

sorry my friend, i have to disagree. i did 12 hour shifts when i worked in the telephone exchange, with maybe 2-3 hours sleep, and we felt really rough by the morning. yes you can go for 3 weeks without food but people arent going to be in very good condition even after 12 days without food, their going to be very weak, i think i read somewhere that if you go without food for a long time the stomach starts eating its own lining? i think a lot of food will be damaged or destroyed in the initial rioting and violence, especially in the cities where there are more people the food is not going to stretch so far and with no more supplies coming in people will start starving fairly soon on, especially those with no food stores to start with.

I thought I said that in my post didn't I?
14 April 2013, 11:44,
[quote='Highlander' pid='53919' dateline='1365935244)

[/quote]

in part you did, yes.Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
14 April 2013, 12:12,
(14 April 2013, 11:44)bigpaul Wrote: [quote='Highlander' pid='53919' dateline='1365935244)

in part you did, yes.Big Grin
[/quote]

Cool man!![Image: cool-181.gif]
14 April 2013, 13:48,
(13 April 2013, 18:34)bigpaul Wrote: most sheeple only have enough food for 3 days not 12, especially here where there is a Co-op 5 minutes away. and you cannot survive 3 hours "without shelter from extreme heat or extreme cold". and yes i think people are stupider than you give them credit for. what is it we used to say" if brains were gunpowder, they wouldn't have enough to assassinate an ant" Big Grin

only 3 days... and from the coop! That's an expensive way to get ones food. I don't know many people who live like that, but perhaps Hampshire prefer monthly shops... or perhaps most of my friends are unusually thrifty (tight) I don't have any stats.

This is a most interesting thread. I have thought about this for some years, but have found very little solid evidence to work anything out from. It's sad, but for a prepper, the sooner the masses start to die off the better really.

Indeed if there was mass displacement and people needed shelter, the 12 days sounds about right. I would expect people living in their houses, even idiots, to last a bit longer though. Just the bag of flour left over from last pancake day would get you two days food.

I would be interested to know how long gravity fed water from high level reservoirs would last before they have to run the pumps again. How ones area receives it's mains water would probably be a big factor too.
14 April 2013, 14:02,
(14 April 2013, 13:48)Tonka Wrote: only 3 days... and from the coop!

for a prepper, the sooner the masses start to die off the better really.

Indeed if there was mass displacement and people needed shelter, the 12 days sounds about right.

How ones area receives it's mains water would probably be a big factor too.

Tonka, the Co-op is the only "supermarket" in the town, the next one is 8 miles away and not everyone here has a car and the bus service is lousy. i believe most people will leave this area if an event happens and go to parents/relatives houses elsewhere, only the oldies will be left and they will start dying when their medication runs out. water in most places down south is electrically pumped through the mains, that would be an issue in the towns, i have started plotting wells and springs in my area.
14 April 2013, 18:26,
Well I take the view , it will take a lot longer than twelve days, even sheeple will become more resourceful , I would not underestimate them one bit , not on mass maybe but enough to cause major trouble for the likes of us. There will be a fight for food and water and anything else come to that, the die offs will be slow to start then start to increase more an more reaching a massive peak, the time scale as I see things would take more like three to four months , at the end of which we would be at the most dangerous , depending on the time of year. Sorry to labour the point but has BP points out being well hidden and enough stores to see you though this time and laying low is the ONLY way to survive ...then the skills you have learnt will kick in THEN that's when we will see who are the men or the boys, I totally agree with BP on this approach and plan its the only game in town for me , where I am situated is by no means GOOD , but its not in a city or town , I am sorry to bang on about location all the time but it is of paramount importance ...with special regards to members living in towns or cities ..to you all I would implore you ALL to find yourselves a BOL and seek it out now and be READY and have your plan in place
15 April 2013, 00:57,
the rule of three I heard espoused by the late Ron Hood actually being;

3 seconds without cover in a firefight
3 minutes without air
3 days without water
3 weeks without food
3 months without human contact?

The 3 weeks without food is anticipating ZERO food and normal weight.

According to the records kept by physicians during the Warsaw Getto starvation the result was that if a human could get 500 calories per day, starting at normal weight, the average person would last 6 months. An overweight person can add 5 days per each pound above normal body weight.

The average American would not even be down to "below normal" on the height weight chart in 3 weeks!

As for the need for 6 hours sleep per 24; anyone that believes that was never a combat infantryman. I have gone for weeks at a time on two or three hours per night and made life or death decisions the whole event.

I do agree that the water will be the key in a mass disaster. 12 days is about right fore big time shutdown of large numbers of people due to warter borne illness. Many types do not strike for several days and do not debilitate for a couple more.