• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
April Meet Updates.
14 April 2013, 17:10,
RE: April Meet Updates.
aye they were, was even a bit o thunder an lightning Smile

will post a couple of pics later on
14 April 2013, 18:03,
got back a while back after 4 hour drive had a great time looking forward to the next one

assuming I can get everything dried out in time Smile
15 April 2013, 10:49,
Time for S13's big write-up!

We got to the site to find 2 cars parked up and 1 beast of a tent pitched on the field.

The field was facing into a gradual valley, exposed to the wind and rain. But the views were amazing.

On our arrival, SD and I-K-E let us know that the only animals they had seen were 3 birds, and the farmers sheep. They did mention some cows on the opposite side of the valley, that were very obviously there, but they didn't move all the while we were on site.....all weekend. So I figure they were just cardboard cutouts so that the farmer could feel cool like he had cows and stuff, instead of just sheep, but it was Wales and we were obviously suspicious haha.

I-K-E helped Hrusai put up the tent he'd brought for Hrusai to stay in, and by the time I had got my tent out of the bag, Hrusai's tent was up. Okay, time for my tent. The wife and I have a total of 4 tents, 2 green, 1 red, and 1 blue. With the green and red tents the poles go into the outside first, then the inside clips nicely into place. The blue one is a crook of a tent and you put the poles into the inside first, then clip the outside onto it, meaning it sucks when putting it up in the rain. Well, simply put, when it rains you can smile knowing you've got a green or red tent.........which I hadn't. I'd forgotten about the blue tent being awkward, and as such I was trying to put up the blue tent outside first. EPIC FAIL!!!! It was so embarrassing, totally failing at putting it up, especially because I'd been able to put it up in under 10 minutes in the dark before. But not this time. After I'd remembered it was inside first, low and behold, there was a break in the cloud cover (okay I'm lying. I wanted to look like God was smiling down at me. Truth is, it stopped raining for a few minutes). While there was a pause in the weather, I rushed like a bugger to get the inside up and the waterproof layer back on top. SUCCESS!!! It worked. Shelter from the elements......kind of.

Once we had all that sorted out, myself and the other member of the Fantastic 4 went on a walk. There was a nice looking outcrop of rocks on a hill that looked like it would give a good view of the surrounding area and places to check out. So we headed yonder. While walking that way, we came across an obstacle with a sign that read "Electric Fence do not touch." So, sure enough, I dared Hrusai to touch it. He didn't touch it, but I showed him how to touch an electric fence. You use the back of your hand, simple because, if you use the palm of your hand the electricity will cause your muscles to spasm and you'll grip the wire harder and enjoy more electricity. So, sure enough turning my hand palm up, I looked at Hrusai, SD and I-K-E and touched the back of my hand to the wire. "PPPZZZZZZZZZZPPP" HUGE sound of electricity surging through my body, I scream out as Hrusai nearly poops thinking I'd electrocuted myself. SD laughed and said, "Stop being silly Scythe" He'd figured out I'd faked the electrical sound and was just winding everyone up. We all laughed, except Hrusai, who was possibly carry poo in his pants haha. I'm kidding. We all laughed and just got on with the walk, up over the fence and through the field.

The views from the top were really beautiful of hills covered in cloud and fresh green vegetation. The walk took us back down the other side of the hill and across a train track. I couldn't help but to think we were the worst impressionists of the Railway Children ever!

Down across a squelchy patch of land, we ended up by the river SD and I-K-E had told Hrusai and me about. Sure enough it looked fresh enough to drink straight, but due to lack of thirst, and an excess of common sense, I opted not to try and drink from it, from off the slippery bank. Water taste test, failed. Common sense test....Pass!

Then it was a long trek back up the hill all the way into a load of brambles! As usual, youngest goes first to clear the way haha. We got through 3 more lots of barbed wire, and hey presto, back to our camping site. And, much to our amazement and happiness, nobody's tent had flown away!

In the evening we all gathered in I-K-E's super tent, that was the size of a small palace, and just chatted away about prepping, gear, bugging out, caches, GHB's, and the alike. And we all decided Barney is a disgusting communist haha, I'm kidding mate. After a few beers were enjoyed, it was back to our tents and time to sleep.

Oddly, SD didn't have a tent, so I assumed he was staying in the Tent-Palace. I was wrong. He was staying in L'Hotel Volvo, on the back seats. I'm not 100% certain, but I'm sure those cars have heaters and climate control!!! So much for roughing it haha.

And so concludes Saturday at the April meet. Well, nearly.

When we were all in our tents I called over to Hrusai about whether he had certain things ready before bed. Things like, hat, thermals, pillow (stuff sack full of clothes), and the alike. I also checked whether he had a place for his wet clothes to go, and all that. Turns out, he had at least 75% of what I'd asked. Kid knows how to camp!

One of the few things he didn't know, which is a bit of a nasty thing to know, it that if you need to pee during the night, a nasty, but effective, trick is to pee into an empty water bottle. That water bottle will then double up as a hot water bottle! But if you're going to do it, you need to get the technique right. I didn't show Hrusai how to do it, but I explained it to him. It's not a delicious trick, but it helps keep you warm!!!

Right, that's enough of a right up for me, for now. I'll start on day 2 and cover the benefits of my sleeping system in there, but for now....I'm off for food.

Speak soon.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
15 April 2013, 13:23,
I had a one man tents that wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes in the wind without my tubby torso holding it in place. I slept quite comfortably in hotel Volvo and although it does have heater and climate control it was windy and raining but not cold so it was fine.

The reason we were at the top of the hill instead of in the woods is because the farmer was told 2500 were due to turn up and this was the only space big enough. He did suggest we move when given the more realistic data but IKE's mobile home was already wet and muddy so moving was not advisable.

In the first day IKE and myself spotted 2 magpies, a hawk (unsure what but it was a FBB), sheep, cows, 2 horses and a few small birds. No pigeons, rabbits or anything else of that size which we put down to he hawk.

When Scythe and Hrusia arrived they obviously senses prey and on the last day we seen 2 pigeons, a heron and some seagulls. Still no rabbits though.

The woods were very nice though, although close to a town, major roads, motorways etc. this place would be very handy for preppers. Bring your own rabbits and livestock though.

I think Scythe was missing his Missus though. He kept on mothering Hrusia and at one stage was offering to show him something with a canteen that made Hrusia make a run for it to his tent. I just locked the doors on Hotel Vovla and ignored the knocking.

Had a good time again. Rain and wind don't bother me too much and as it was warm enough we were all soaked but OK.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
15 April 2013, 13:35, (This post was last modified: 15 April 2013, 13:36 by Metroyeti.)
(14 April 2013, 09:19)Barneyboy Wrote: make sure your tents are done up tight

Otherwise youll be top n tailing with sythe?

On a serious note, glad you all had fun and hopefully the weather will be nicer next time
15 April 2013, 15:21,
Glad you all had a good, if wet, weekend guys!

Ian said he'd stick us in that field so we could play with the bows and arrows without sticking one in an unsuspecting camper - and the other field he uses is almost at a 45 degree angle. Not much good if you have anything bigger than a 3 man tent and like it to stay upright.

The woods are great fun to camp in. Lots of good waterfalls round that area too, great for exploring.

(15 April 2013, 13:23)Skean Dhude Wrote: The woods were very nice though, although close to a town, major roads, motorways etc. this place would be very handy for preppers.

Why do you think I chose that place? Wink
15 April 2013, 21:09,
Glad you all had a good time despite the gloomy weather, I would have loved to have joined you,.... lol, next time you want to touch an electric fence, use a length of grass..Smile
A major part of survival is invisibility.
15 April 2013, 21:12,
or the urine test, getting your friends to test it naturally.
15 April 2013, 21:13,
(15 April 2013, 21:09)Highlander Wrote: Glad you all had a good time despite the gloomy weather, I would have loved to have joined you,.... lol, next time you want to touch an electric fence, use a length of grass..Smile

I just waited for some one else to test it

was safer that way ......... for me at leastAngel
16 April 2013, 09:45,
(15 April 2013, 21:13)I-K-E Wrote:
(15 April 2013, 21:09)Highlander Wrote: Glad you all had a good time despite the gloomy weather, I would have loved to have joined you,.... lol, next time you want to touch an electric fence, use a length of grass..Smile

I just waited for some one else to test it

was safer that way ......... for me at leastAngel

Good to know you've got my back mate.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin