Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tarps Tents ,Shelters and Fire
19 November 2011, 18:05,
Tarps Tents ,Shelters and Fire
I,ve been messing about with a few tarps for a few weeks,Found the camo ones on fleebay are useless ,they are thin and the eyelets rip out of them after a few camp outs .they are around 20 quid for a 8x6 good enough for 2 peaple and some gear.
All you need is a stick or pole at the front center eyelet about 2or 3 feet high.
Stick that in the ground to suport it and tie it out at the top with string either side
Peg out the rear and sides,use another tarp for the floor ,if you got frost or snow use dead leaves or branches under the floor tarp for insulation

I find the blue £1 shop tarps the strongest or the argos 10x8 ones but don't go higher than 10x8 cos it won't peg out right.
8x6 rolls up nice and tight to carry around(you,ll need2)
1 for the floor 1 for the main tent.
couple of pegs or sticks,an adjustable walking stick or a good branch of a tree will hold up the entrance door.
And bobs your uncle a portable light weight tent called a tarp !

A bit of practice in your garden and you can knock one of these up in under 5 mins
To secure it more put stones or logs around the edges and it,ll be warmer .
The hardest thing was lighting a fire in the wet but it can be done.

The best was cutting up an old inner tube into little 1 inch stips and that,ll light in the rain ,build the fire 1st in an upright position like the Indians done it Big Grin ,get the tinder in build the fire,then stack as much wood next to the fire you think you need for the night and then go and collect the same amount so you have double what you think you need .
If you can build it next to a tree you can have a tarp off the tree for shelter.
If you can get hold of a canvas tarp they are the best ,bit heavy but warmer.
Dont put your tent were it might become flooded next to a river bank when the river might over flow,or in a dried up little pond like you see on the mountains full when it starts to rain you,ll be flooded ,look above for trees that are rotted incase they fall in the night,keep the noise down ,When i go camping FREE around my place around the mountains a forrests i can hear the people down in the towns laughing and shouting ,can see head lights miles away ,Shield your fire with rocks,your spair tarp if you got one ,old rubbish you see around you or big logs , and get it in the ground a bit out of sight.
A good fire is also a screen fire that keeps the heat on going in your direction.
There should be plenty of tyres and inner tubes around to collect for extra rinder.

Tip,if the wood your burning is glowing green orange/blue color it could poisen your food or water so keep it covered wilst cooking.I found this out the hard way burning man made planted bark and tree stumps on one camping trip ,I was ill for 4 days .

Typical tarp good for two on bug outs
[Image: 003dl.jpg]
Get one of these now they are cheep
[Image: hatchat.jpg]

Keep quiet ,keep warm eat well and it,ll be fun
Out with some of the lads on a tarp night with our bikes
[Image: photo0786.jpg]

Or make a natural cover
[Image: imagescap1llx7.jpg]

Watch your six
19 November 2011, 18:25,
RE: Tarps Tents ,Shelters and Fire
Tarp night. Sounds kinda like fun. Does it involve alcohol?
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
19 November 2011, 18:50,
Yea lashings of it ,aldi special stumpy bottles and camp fire songs ,oi hey the drunken sailor oh hey the ......
One of the boys is an early bird and gets up at 5am calling us for coffee with the fire lit the lot ,fair doos for coming up 60 he's doing well the old twat
Watch your six
19 November 2011, 19:18,
I prefer using Ponchos to make bashas with, I'm old fashioned.

19 November 2011, 19:40,
They are better i recon ,you can close the front up for more warmth and stop your mate in the next tarp spying on your bird undressing
Watch your six