Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How to starve in style.....kind of
16 April 2013, 11:31,
RE: How to starve in style.....kind of
I have voluntarily fasted before myself. I like to 'break that fast', breakfast, in the morning.

Fasting seems to be a very wooly subject and depends on the person. To me fasting is a short, couple of days maximum, period without food by choice. ANything else is starvation.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
16 April 2013, 11:37,
(16 April 2013, 11:31)Skean Dhude Wrote: To me fasting is a short, couple of days maximum, period without food by choice. ANything else is starvation.

thank you SD for putting it in a nutshell.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
16 April 2013, 20:05,
(16 April 2013, 09:51)Scythe13 Wrote:
(15 April 2013, 20:10)MaryN Wrote: Fasting is a great way to help recovery from some illnesses, and really does cleanse the body. But, for 40 days in stressful conditions? You'd have to be out of your mind, well, you might be! You'd be as weak as hell, probably hallucinating, and if the weather was hot, you might be on the way out as well. No use to anyone.

I totally agree.

I'm not recommending starving yourself. I'm just trying to show that there is a much larger capability of the human body to exist without food than most people are speculating.

Let's say that the food runs out post SHTF. We all have food reserves, but we also have a good month of 'hungered' survival left with which to find food, plant fast growing crops, and stuff like that. Watercress grows fast, and although it's not a super high calorie food, it could provide the final pump of nutrition to get you through until those kidney beans start to show pods, and those peas bud up.

Hey, Scythe, I'm hoping you will have got a garden up and growing so you would have something to eat. Watercress is very good for you - full of Vit C, iron and potassium - but it is vital that the water it is grown in is clean and running. Contamination otherwise can be swift and unpleasant! Hope you are near a loo!
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
16 April 2013, 21:33,
The problem with going without food for that long is similar to dieing of cold,... when you are freezing to death, just before you die, you think you are extremely warm and start to remove clothing.

When you start to go without food for this long, towards the end you start to feed good,..as has already been said

Once you are at this stage, either from cold or lack of food,.. it is a very difficult point from which to survive,.. you may die feeling good,.. but you still die
A major part of survival is invisibility.
17 April 2013, 04:52,
(16 April 2013, 21:33)Highlander Wrote: The problem with going without food for that long is similar to dieing of cold,... when you are freezing to death, just before you die, you think you are extremely warm and start to remove clothing.

When you start to go without food for this long, towards the end you start to feed good,..as has already been said

Once you are at this stage, either from cold or lack of food,.. it is a very difficult point from which to survive,.. you may die feeling good,.. but you still die

Highlander, my OH who did the usual cold country training, said that you simply fall asleep in very cold weather. I guess the body just shuts down - from extremities inwards.
17 April 2013, 08:06,
(17 April 2013, 04:52)MaryN Wrote:
(16 April 2013, 21:33)Highlander Wrote: The problem with going without food for that long is similar to dieing of cold,... when you are freezing to death, just before you die, you think you are extremely warm and start to remove clothing.

Highlander, my OH who did the usual cold country training, said that you simply fall asleep in very cold weather. I guess the body just shuts down - from extremities inwards.

He probably spent time in Norway on a cold weather course, that's where I went to,.. he is right of course that another thing to happen before dieing of cold,..
A major part of survival is invisibility.
17 April 2013, 08:18,
Yes, you're right, it was in Norway.