Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Armex Tomcat MKII 80lb crossbow pistol review
16 April 2013, 13:31,
RE: Armex Tomcat MKII 80lb crossbow pistol review
(16 April 2013, 13:28)Digger Wrote: BP, we get approx. From .177s and .22s zero's at 10m we get an approx 1cm POI drop at 30m.

pellets used are:

.177 round nose 0.45g
.22 round nose 0.95g

30m is completely viable for taking bunnies with either calibre.

its not me you've got to convince, i think your talking to the wrong person.Dodgymy pellets are right on the button at 30 metres its after that they start dropping off.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
16 April 2013, 14:09,
I was mainly concerned with the ability of the Tomcat to aquire small game in a relatively covert manner, not as a self defence tool. When I said the Tomcat has the ability to kill a human easily, I did not mean "easily" as a substitute for "quickly". Look at the video in the link where Jorge Sprave tests out different crossbows into a 17kg block of ballistic gelatin. He shoots the very pistol Crossbow we are talking about and it penetrates over 12 inches into the block (the bolts are 6.5 inches long) I believe this test proves beyond shadow of doubt the ability of this weapon to penetrate deep enough to kill a human.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOd6r2x-j7I

Here's another video of the same pistol being shot at 75 feet into a boogie board (high density foam) and the bolts penetrate upto the flights 5 inches.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWX4MvpYcjI

This amount of penetration into the neck or chest cavity will produce a fatal wound in humans (the neck less so as the bolt has to hit an Artery or Vein I reckon)
They do mention on the video that they are unsure about the distance, but it looks to be around 25-30 yards?
The bolts come with basic points on them, if the test was carried out with mini broadheads fitted these bolts would pass through that ballistic jelly, deadly I reckon.
16 April 2013, 14:11,
OK you've convinced me, i'm off to order it now!Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
16 April 2013, 18:52,
"I believe this test proves beyond shadow of doubt the ability of this weapon to penetrate deep enough to kill a human"

I would like to see that test fired through the advised 4 layers of denim before the gelatin, and more importunately not fired into already shot up gelatin. I love the slingshot channel, but it's not really "proves beyond shadow of doubt" scientific research. It's entertainment.

This is really odd, normally I'm the one defending these little bows against people saying they are just flimsy toys. They are useful, just not a good choice against humans.
16 April 2013, 19:00,
(16 April 2013, 18:52)Tonka Wrote: "I believe this test proves beyond shadow of doubt the ability of this weapon to penetrate deep enough to kill a human"

I would like to see that test fired through the advised 4 layers of denim before the gelatin, and more importunately not fired into already shot up gelatin. I love the slingshot channel, but it's not really "proves beyond shadow of doubt" scientific research. It's entertainment.

This is really odd, normally I'm the one defending these little bows against people saying they are just flimsy toys. They are useful, just not a good choice against humans.

4 layers of denim?? thats sounds a lot, and i wear denim most of the time but not 4 layers!!Big Grin however if you got shot with one of these bolts say in an arm or a leg i think it would smart a bit, and if not treated would go septic fairly quick (we are talking theoretically & post SHTF-right?) what if the bolt where fitted with a broadhead?
16 April 2013, 21:44,
(16 April 2013, 11:26)bigpaul Wrote:
(15 April 2013, 20:56)Highlander Wrote: BP... have you got your measurements right?,.. the British Air Shooters Association suggest that you zero in your air rifle at 10 meters,.. thats 30 feet,... 30 meters is 90 feet, surely you dont shoot an air rifle at that range

yes, my air rifle is zeroed at 10metres, but at 30 metres its still dead on the button, as for not shooting an air rifle at that range-surely your joking? tell me your joking!

No,.. not joking, but not saying there is anything wrong either,..its just a hell of a shot when you could/might/should/ maybe be a bit closer to make the shot easier
A major part of survival is invisibility.
16 April 2013, 22:35,
(16 April 2013, 19:00)bigpaul Wrote: 4 layers of denim?? thats sounds a lot, and i wear denim most of the time but not 4 layers!!Big Grin however if you got shot with one of these bolts say in an arm or a leg i think it would smart a bit, and if not treated would go septic fairly quick (we are talking theoretically & post SHTF-right?) what if the bolt where fitted with a broadhead?

Well yes, 4 layers of denim many be a bit much, but it is the standard for ballistic testing of expanding ammo. It's supposed to simulate roughly going through a jacket, shirt etc.
It is possible the raider may be in a bikini!

In theory those little bows can kill a man, but in practice they rarely do. A broad head would make a difference with regards blood pressure but you are NOT going to get 12 inches of penetration... even if they are in a bikini.
In the real world these won't normally go through a duck. There are lots of cases of ducks with these bolts sticking out of them, still swimming around.
[Image: SNN3131ZZ-620_1664183a.jpg]

I fire these a lot (not at ducks) and they have impressive penetration for what they are, but they are not man stoppers... they would bloody sting though. They can help, and make people think twice, but all I'm saying is don't rely on one for that purpose.

I think I might try a couple of bolts through some of my bike leathers and see how it does.
17 April 2013, 09:03,
there was a news report within the last week i think, a pair of swans were shot with a bolt from a crossbow, the vets managed to remove one from i think it was the male. but the other swan was dead when they found it.
17 April 2013, 09:13,
(17 April 2013, 09:03)bigpaul Wrote: there was a news report within the last week i think, a pair of swans were shot with a bolt from a crossbow, the vets managed to remove one from i think it was the male. but the other swan was dead when they found it.

How long will it take the government to bring in legislation on crossbows because of idiots(i cant see it not happening at some point)
Todays mighty oak is just yesterdays nut that held its ground
In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king
17 April 2013, 11:22,
(17 April 2013, 09:13)TheFalcon Wrote:
(17 April 2013, 09:03)bigpaul Wrote: there was a news report within the last week i think, a pair of swans were shot with a bolt from a crossbow, the vets managed to remove one from i think it was the male. but the other swan was dead when they found it.

How long will it take the government to bring in legislation on crossbows because of idiots(i cant see it not happening at some point)

perhaps but what do they do about all the unlicenced ones? its ok bring in licences if no one has one and you licence every new sale but there must be thousands of various types of crossbows in the UK.