Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Armex Tomcat MKII 80lb crossbow pistol review
17 April 2013, 12:08,
RE: Armex Tomcat MKII 80lb crossbow pistol review
Pictures like the duck with a crossbow bolt through the head, or the Swans in a similar situation are emotive, and are often used as a tool for raising indignation within the animal loving population of the country, with a view to eventually banning any form of hunting or weapons.
Look at it this way, "does the picture of the Duck with a bolt through its head prove that crossbows are evil and cruel, and not suited to humane killing?, or could it prove that the person shooting it had no knowledge of shot placement or the range at which his weapon is effective? the media obviously uses the former argument, as to even entertain the idea that stringed weapons are suitable for hunting means that you have to debate the subject, and of course debate is bad in a democracy isn't it.
I'm willing to take some of your points raised Tonka with regards usefullness in a defence situation to try and get to the nitty gritty on this weapon. I agree the Tomcat will never be a "man Stopper" if you mean by dropping me dead in my tracks, is this what you mean? The only conceivable way I would see this happening is if you were lucky enough to hit the eyeball which is relatively soft allowing entry to the brain through the eye socket. That would be a lucky shot indeed and I agree very unlikely, but sometimes you are lucky, but not likely. For the sake of debate I will accept your position on the Jorge sprave gelatin test, and also the ability of clothing to stop the bolts penetrating deep enough to cause lethal wounding in the chest area.
Now consider the evidence from the Duck incident where the bolt has penetrated through both sides of the Duck's skull, I have just measured this and it is 4 and a quarter inches. If shot into a human neck there is no reason to believe the bolt would not penetrate just as far as it would in the Duck, it would probably penetrate deeper as there would be no Skull to pass through, though I will stick with the evidence from the photo. If a person was shot in the neck to a depth of four inches I for one believe it would stop them, if not kill them pretty quick due to major artery and vein damage. I know it would stop me.
17 April 2013, 12:59,
i think just pointing the crossbow at 99% of the population would make them run away, its the other 1% you'll have to actually fire the thing at.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
17 April 2013, 13:05,
Yes, I think that is about right Mr Horde.
I was using the duck shot, one of many out there, just as a counter point to the 12 inch of penetration in a man video. Obviously these are more than capable of taking a duck, these ducks survived by fluke. Just as a man could be killed, but with an equally very lucky shot.
So yes, by 'manstopper' I mean it would reliably stop a determined assailant before they could reach you with an axe or whatever. By 'reliably' I mean you can hit a moving target in a panic situation... body shot likely, neck not so likely.
So I think we are actually in agreement!

And BP is right, it is still an excellent deterrent... just make sure that is they call your bluff, you drop the thing after your first shot (hopefully a lucky one) and pull out your machete to finish the job.

Disclaimer: all references to shooting people in the neck and hacking them with machetes are based in a post apocalyptic lawless environment, and as such are to be discouraged, however tempting, while society is still ticking over.
17 April 2013, 13:31, (This post was last modified: 17 April 2013, 14:20 by bigpaul.)
i can see these items being used more for hunting (in a post SHTF scenario) where they would be a very handy tool more than as a defensive weapon.

have just rung Blades&Bows about my order, if anyone else has ordered one it might take a bit longer as they have been inundated by orders, they are working through as fast as they can!! cant say i'm surprised given the price of the thing!Big GrinBig Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
17 April 2013, 15:32,
Yes. Good for small game that you can get closeish too. The big advantage is the pretty much infinite ammo supply. It's much harder to make ammo for, and reuse ammo on more powerful bows. But these little buggers will fire anything. The 50lb ones aren't of any practical use, but an 80lb one could come in very handy... and help you make your airgun pellet stash last longer.
17 April 2013, 16:46,
had an email this afternoon, my crossbow pistol is packed and ready to go...looking forward to that.
18 April 2013, 09:39,
i`m so tempted !!!
18 April 2013, 09:42,
(18 April 2013, 09:39)Mosstrooper Wrote: i`m so tempted !!!
at £30 +£8 delivery you cant go wrong! bolts are 20 for under £10 on Ebay, spare strings £2.40 with the end caps. if you want one i'd do it soon before they run out of stock!!Big Grin
18 April 2013, 10:24,
In the last few days I have shot at least a few hundred bolts out of this little crossbow at a measured 10yds. The Achilles heel on this weapon is the quality of ammunition that is generally available. I purchased 15 bolts at first and started testing them in batches of 5. Out of those 15 bolts I found only 9 to be within acceptable tolerances regarding flying true and quality of build. There are two problems with the bolts available, 1 is the fletchings used. These tend to deform and do not always return to true straightness, and the points on the bolts tend to be crimped on allowing them to rattle a little bit. The fletchings are not a problem to cure as I have put some Turkey fletchings on them which you will have to cut down to size (no problem here). I have found some 6.5 inch bolts that have screw in points which would allow the fitting of two blade broadheads (three blade won't work) but I reckon you would have to use 100grain.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-X-6-5-Pisto...43b7bb0fe7
18 April 2013, 11:39,
why dosent the 3 blade broadhead work? and where can i buy 2 blade broadheads? cant find any from my usual suppliers.