Hello from Herts
16 April 2013, 23:02,
RE: Hello from Herts
Welcome to the forum

Cheese? Thats pricked a few ears including mine
what sort of reinactment do you do?
17 April 2013, 01:48,
Might have known it was the bl***y cheese...

I do mainly military style reenactment because I like playing with guns. My main period's 17th century (matchlock muskets and campfire cheese) but I also do Crimean War (Enfield rifle and bayonet plus Navy Colt revolver) and that's been really helpful for survival skills too - learning things like digging up brushwood roots when there's literally no other fuel available.

All right, the cheese. The campfire version is pretty nasty actually, being more like cottage cheese than anything else. All you need is whole milk (unpasteurised if possible) and a few drops of white vinegar or lemon juice and you're in business. The recipe is unchanged over centuries, and you can find versions of it here and here. The best flavour I've managed is by adding a pinch of mustard powder and nutmeg along with the salt in the last mixing stages, which seems to make it more 'cheesy'.

I think the key to a smoother harder consistency is really wringing out as much whey as you can. I'm considering making a cheese press to produce proper hard stuff after SHTF, and have found a possible method here but I haven't tried it, and can't vouch for its success. Still worth a try, I think - the prospect of a life sans cheese is truly unbearable.

Just occurred to me - should I have posted this in the 'Food' section? Would it be over-kill to put a version of it there too? It would be good to hear what variants other members have tried, which could well taste better than mine.
17 April 2013, 02:53,
Hi little Lou, I joined today to and feel much the same as what you have expressed in better words than mine!
I used to live in herts and have family there still, whenever I'm down I visit a small holding that I shoot on in a small village just outside of St. Albans.
Hope you, like me, manage to digest as much of the info on the main site as well as the forums we can!
And I think a cheesy post is just what the food section needs!!

Jack
It is my belief that to be prepared information must be deseminated and distributed as quickly as possible to those that have the ability to teach and deliver those lessons they learn
Those that can not teach must be taught to act that can not act must be protected that would mock ignore and harm be addressed.
17 April 2013, 09:07,
Thanks, Jack - it is a great place, isn't it? I've printed out a lot of material from the main site too.

Also just realized the first link in my 'cheese post' has gone AWOL, so here it is again: http://www.allotment.org.uk/allotment_fo...heese.php