Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Food Shortage?
17 April 2013, 17:17,
RE: Food Shortage?
there is always going to be the opportunity for food shortages, in this instance is because of the horrendous weather we have had, a farmers wife friend of the OH has been complaining they cant get the spring seed into the ground because the ground is still too wet.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
17 April 2013, 19:09,
(17 April 2013, 11:54)SecretPrepper Wrote:
(17 April 2013, 11:24)Straight Shooter Wrote: Right now, potatoes, onion sets, broad beans, peas, carrots, radish, lettuce, cabbage, kale, chives, parsley, ....in the greenhouse tomatoes, cucumbers, parsnips, swede, cabbage, leeks, ....wifey stuff flowers ....in the poly tunnel..... potatoes, broad beans, peas, onion sets, lettuce, radish , in general around the ground.......plums, quince, damsons, apples, pears, cherries, raspberries, red and black currants, rhubarb, blueberries, nectarines, strawberries, elder trees, gooseberries, wild strawberries, and a big chair where I have a wiff

Wow quite the garden. I just can't wait to get started.

Wow, S! I think you are hiding your gardening light under a bushel!
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
17 April 2013, 19:11,
exactly BP that's why food stuffs will be out of reach to a lot people prices will spike up.....and stay up, same for meat extra feed cereals will send prices upwards , the only way out is grow your own and as much as you can, keep chickens if you possibly can or maybe some rabbits anything to supplement you diet is better than doing sweet FA ....haul arse as they say in the U S A
17 April 2013, 22:55,
I have carrots, onions, radish, lettuce cabbage, cauliflower, peas, and potatoes [ in containers ]...all in my new polly tunnel.... coming up nicely..Smile
A major part of survival is invisibility.
18 April 2013, 06:39,
Now that the frost nights have disappeared, I planted in seed trays.
Carrots, board beans, runner beans, peas, chard, lettuce, beetroot, radishes with more to go in. The POL chickens we got a few weeks ago are coming on great 6 eggs a day at the moment on the smaller side, but 2 are laying full size double yolkers.
Failure is NOT an option
18 April 2013, 08:06,
Uks, be careful of late frosts. I found this out a few years ago. My spuds were ruined.
18 April 2013, 08:32,
(18 April 2013, 08:06)Geordie_Rob Wrote: Uks, be careful of late frosts. I found this out a few years ago. My spuds were ruined.

They are in cold frames
Failure is NOT an option
18 April 2013, 08:48,
Most all my stuff is covered with cloches or fleece , but your right rob ...always keep an eye for late frosts, check your local weather reports, anyone who grows will get caught out now and then, that's how you learn ....its a costly lesson in money but more important time investment you cannot get back