Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Canary islands mega tsunami
22 April 2013, 08:52,
RE: Canary islands mega tsunami
(21 April 2013, 21:16)Mortblanc Wrote: In open water 9k-10k miles of travel is not unusual.
10K isnt much-thats only 6 miles, OK people near the coast had better watch out, people further inland would be safe, the only exception to this is somewhere like Somerset, but then "the levels" are BELOW sea level.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
22 April 2013, 10:06,
(22 April 2013, 08:52)bigpaul Wrote:
(21 April 2013, 21:16)Mortblanc Wrote: In open water 9k-10k miles of travel is not unusual.
10K isnt much-thats only 6 miles, OK people near the coast had better watch out, people further inland would be safe, the only exception to this is somewhere like Somerset, but then "the levels" are BELOW sea level.

Not 10K BP!!!

10K miles!!!

As in 10,000 x 5,280ft

10,000 x 1760 yards

ten thousand times one mile!

The distance from Chilie to Japan!

As far as your Canery Island senerio goes, that particular show on the Discovery Channel (megatsunamis) is an old one and I believe I remember them saying the surge would reach 30 miles inland!

Makes me glad I am 1200 miles inland and sitting at 1000ft elevation. All I need worry about are tornadoes and earthquakes.
22 April 2013, 10:10,
yeah, but you are talking about open water, i am much more interested in what happens when it makes landfall, from what i've seen of the Indonisian one if you get to high land you have more chance of living through it than the poor SOB's who stay on the beach.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
22 April 2013, 20:27,
(22 April 2013, 00:58)Tonka Wrote: Anyone know what size the wave is predicted to be once it gets squeezed down the English Channel?

From what I read from the guy that really brought the magnitude of the problem up, he said there would be quite a bit of flooding as far up the Thames as Putney. There *should* be enough time to get people to safe ground.

The real big problem would be the flooding in the underground. If anyone was still in it, they would be drowned and it would take months, if not years to fix the damage from the water.

As for the Channel condensing wave, this would happen between Brest and Cornwall, between Cherbourg and Weymouth and Calais and Dover, however, a lot of the energy would not be coming in the direction of the region anyway.

I could not say how far inland the wave would go once it got through the channel, if you were on low flat ground you are going to have more problems than if not. The broads, the fens and the like would all be flooded.
22 April 2013, 21:00,
Oh hell! Always something else to worry about! Anyone got any spare waterwings?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
22 April 2013, 23:43,
You lucky lucky bugger MB
23 April 2013, 00:27,
(22 April 2013, 20:27)BDG Wrote: From what I read from the guy that really brought the magnitude of the problem up, he said there would be quite a bit of flooding as far up the Thames as Putney. There *should* be enough time to get people to safe ground.

The real big problem would be the flooding in the underground. If anyone was still in it, they would be drowned and it would take months, if not years to fix the damage from the water.

As for the Channel condensing wave, this would happen between Brest and Cornwall, between Cherbourg and Weymouth and Calais and Dover, however, a lot of the energy would not be coming in the direction of the region anyway.

I could not say how far inland the wave would go once it got through the channel, if you were on low flat ground you are going to have more problems than if not. The broads, the fens and the like would all be flooded.

That's rather interesting, thanks. I do worry about general destruction from the sea... I kind of enjoy worrying about it oddly, but I worry never the less.
I can get splashes in the sea with my catapult from my doorstep, so I'm pretty close to sea level. However I am also at the foot of a rather large hill, with both road and bridal way access (for motorbike/moutain bike). It's about 3 minutes from my house to the top by motorbike at safe speeds. It's about 20 minutes on foot (it's hard to run fast up a hill that steep. So as long as I had OK warning we hopefully won't be drowned. But will it be a case of carpet ruined or house knocked down by a tumbling warship?
It would be a nice view of the destruction form the hill anyway...
[Image: 379666_10152518370030713_716423206_n.jpg]