Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Canary islands mega tsunami
21 April 2013, 15:31, (This post was last modified: 21 April 2013, 15:34 by bigpaul.)
RE: Canary islands mega tsunami
Devon is very hilly and very high, nearly 100metres or 300ft above sea level at my location, we are about 25 miles from the west coast and 45 miles from the south with Dartmoor in between, i dont think i've got anything to worry about Big GrinBig Grin

i should say the west coast i talked about is actually in Cornwall! Devon dosent have a west coast.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
21 April 2013, 16:27,
Yeah I also seen it....as I keep saying " up high and out the way" okay we may not be able to prepp for ALL events ....but we need to do all we can all the same
21 April 2013, 17:19,
i think your alright SS, Wales is high enough surely?Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
21 April 2013, 18:25,
Not really BP only 546 ft above right now, 1352 ft in bout 9 mins though so not that bad....and that was done with wifey saying "slow down " and a pair of white knuckles .....hers not mine...before you ask
21 April 2013, 18:28,
(21 April 2013, 18:25)Straight Shooter Wrote: Not really BP only 546 ft above right now, 1352 ft in bout 9 mins though so not that bad....and that was done with wifey saying "slow down " and a pair of white knuckles .....hers not mine...before you ask

would have thought 546ft was enough, we're "only" 300 ft but we've got Dartmoor and a big chunk of Cornwall to sop up the excess before it gets to us!
21 April 2013, 19:28,
500 feet is niot nearly enough!!!

All youi need to do is go back ot 1958 and think about it.

http://geology.com/records/biggest-tsunami.shtml
21 April 2013, 20:02,
(21 April 2013, 19:28)Mortblanc Wrote: 500 feet is niot nearly enough!!!

All youi need to do is go back ot 1958 and think about it.

http://geology.com/records/biggest-tsunami.shtml

Yes,.. but that was in a very restricted body of water, any wave coming from the Canaries has to come at us from open water, and over a far greater distance,.... but that was a hell of a wave in Alaska
A major part of survival is invisibility.
21 April 2013, 21:16, (This post was last modified: 21 April 2013, 21:17 by Mortblanc.)
You will find that a tsinami is not impeeded or weakened very much by its passage through open water. It is the condition of the surface under the coastline that detirmines how high the wave rolls before comming ashore.

In open water 9k-10k miles of travel is not unusual.

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-histo...its-hawaii

That particular one occurred off the coast of Chilie and did considerable damage to Japan!

That has Canary Islands to GB beat by several thousand miles.

Better start working on that boat and whistling in the animals 2x2.
21 April 2013, 21:33,
,...mmmmm good job Ireland is where it is then..Smile
A major part of survival is invisibility.
22 April 2013, 00:58,
Having the sea a few yards from my front door, means I like to keep an eye on risks like this. I didn't see the documentary this time, but I saw one that sounds pretty much the same years back.
I live on the edge of a harbour, and we were hit by a small tsunami after a mild quake in the Solent. It was only two meters but I saw it hit the sea defenses at the harbour mouth and it was quite spectacular. By the time it reached me across the harbour it wasn't big enough to even call a wave... more an arrogant ripple. I doubt a 25 meter wave would be so easily perturbed though. Now I've survived a barrage of 20 foot waves, when a storm hit the Canary islands once (none of the islands exploded though). The airport got flooded so I couldn't get home, but that was a good thing. But 25 meters is a whole different kettle of ball games!
Anyone know what size the wave is predicted to be once it gets squeezed down the English Channel?