Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Preppers crops
19 November 2011, 21:22, (This post was last modified: 19 November 2011, 21:49 by Nemesis.)
Preppers crops
This is a big part of our planning and also one of the most dangroues, this part of our prepping is out in th open and as much as it can save us it can also get us killed, but thats another topic.

To kick off Rhubarb:

I also started my rhubarb crops this year.

Rhubarb is a preppers crop as it will look after itself once you get the plant past its first year, once planted expect to keep that area for your rhubarb because you won't have much choice as the plant root establish itself.

[Image: 20sdqp4.jpg]

[Image: 214oai1.jpg]

[Image: 11jud8n.jpg]

[Image: 2a9snsk.jpg]

[Image: awcfp5.jpg]

[Image: w2eyh3.jpg]

Have to wait a year before I can eat these, by picking some now it will weaken the plant for the rest of its life, so year one no picking.

Just took this one, all but one grew very well, as I said I will wait a year before eating these to help the root establish, the good thing about these crops you give them a good start and then they look after themselves for the most part, plus you can chop the root later on and get many plants from them.

http://uploadpic.org/storage/2011/WkN6Gu...0pT5Ms.jpg
20 November 2011, 10:48,
RE: Preppers crops
My rhubarb died this year. It wasn't the only thing either.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
20 November 2011, 11:21,
I'm going to put in loads of Butternut squash in spring, its a high yeald tasy crop my family loves, and ripe squashes will store for months. Going to try spuds as well, and many more tomatos.
I got it wrong with my carrots cos I planted em to close together so they grew stunted.

20 November 2011, 12:06,
Rhubarb Is good up here I have found several patches on the hills growing wild. People do'nt seem to make use of it or, it might be that the do'nt venture on to the hills. Kenneth Eames.
21 November 2011, 05:11,
Had a good look for pictures and can't seem to find this year’s ones of my garden crops, not long built this pc so I think maybe they are on the old one, anyway ill list with no pics.

My garden crops.

Fruit trees

Apple trees I planted five they are now 5 years old and give up vast amount of crops, not really much looking after needed, I feed them 3 times a year, and just try get rid of ants and fly.

Blackberry I have a good 25/30 feet of bush now only 3 plants in all, one of them stands at least 15 feet tall, all 3 crop heavy and are good for garden defence.

Peach tree crops heavy when I use ear bud to germinate, not really preppers tree but a morale booster and a treat.

Cherry tree placed just right so I can shoot birds if shtf birds do like a cherry.

plum tree is last year planted only gave me one fruit which i did not really expect it tasted very nice so am looking forward to next year’s crop it has grown so fast.

pear tree again planted last year has shown no sign of growth but I have seen this before and they grow like crazy, but for now it is sad looking.

Figs heavy croppers it seems nothing can kill these trees, don't be mistaken and think they only grow well in hot countries.

Elderberry I have a very large tree it gives huge amount of crop, I have read the berry help with flu and colds and other conditions.

Potatoes are easy to grow and a good heavy feeder.

Cabbage one of the best preppers crops ever as far as I am concerned, they are heavy crops one cabbage can feed many, they can survive harsh winter’s deep snow so on, and they last for ages in the ground or when pulled and best of all can make sauerkraut which should be on all prepper’s lists.

Tomatoes, I used to take great care of my toms now i just grow and feed with very little pinching, I am not really after the red toms I want the green ones to make chutney.

Leeks easy to grow again a good root heavy root type crop.

I just got an allotment late this year and will be growing heavy crops on it, I don't grow for show I grow to eat my allotment will just be rhubarb, cabbage, potatoes, and leeks.

I will give the kids quarter of the plot to grow for knowledge, things like onions, pumpkin, garlic, tomatoes.

My thinking when it comes to growing is grow to feed, heavy crops that fill the belly, can feed many if I had to pick only two crops to grow I would have to go with cabbage and potatoes in that order.

One more crop I think I should mention asparagus, these crop year after year so I would have thought a good preppers crop, not tried growing them yet but will give it a go soon enough.

Well this is my list I try keep things simple master a few and all that.