Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Portable Solar Power
23 April 2013, 22:27,
RE: Portable Solar Power
Tarrel,

I may be wrong but your calculations supply just the power needed with little spare even not taking into account losses. To charge the batteries for when no sun is available you need to have some excess. So I'd up the panels required by 25% to cover losses and give spare capacity.

I like the look of flexible panels. They look like they can be folder or rolled away.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
23 April 2013, 23:28,
THANKS FOR YOUR HELP AND ADVICE EVERYONE I AM ALOT CLEARER
30 April 2013, 14:59,
Have a look at http://www.soln1.com to get an idea on what might be possible in the near future or failing that try http://www.maplin.co.uk and look at their solar department.
2 May 2013, 19:26,
Hey all - found today on ebay, its got everything you need to get up and running. Is this good value for £230? Ive done a bit of (quick) research and bar cooking equipment it should do most smaller appliences up to a washing machine.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12v-Solar-Mobi...3cd01f1144

Thinking of getting next paycheck.
2 May 2013, 21:50,
Yes that's the one Mc ....as mentioned in my post, not by name, but that's the one I was looking at
2 May 2013, 22:17,
(2 May 2013, 19:26)MCavity Wrote: Hey all - found today on ebay, its got everything you need to get up and running. Is this good value for £230? Ive done a bit of (quick) research and bar cooking equipment it should do most smaller appliences up to a washing machine.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12v-Solar-Mobi...3cd01f1144

Thinking of getting next paycheck.

I think you are reading the advert wrongly,..its a misleading advert,... you are saying that the kit is a 300 watt unit,... but it is not, the unit is only a 40 watt unit,..with a 300 converter,..which is not the same thing,... buyer beware
A major part of survival is invisibility.
2 May 2013, 23:48,
Good point. It mentions that the solar panel will trickle charge the battery so i'm assuming it will fill the battery at 45 watts from the panel to a battery 1x 125aph, then release at 300watt.

So it will drain faster than it fills (I assume). I will give the guy another call tomorrow to clarify.
3 May 2013, 08:02,
(2 May 2013, 23:48)MCavity Wrote: Good point. It mentions that the solar panel will trickle charge the battery so i'm assuming it will fill the battery at 45 watts from the panel to a battery 1x 125aph, then release at 300watt.

So it will drain faster than it fills (I assume). I will give the guy another call tomorrow to clarify.

I am sure it would be a very useful bit of kit,.. for the smaller item, but I doubt personally that it would run the likes of fridges for very long, and that would probable be without lights or any other appliance
A major part of survival is invisibility.
3 May 2013, 09:23,
I think I will give it a miss, buying cheap is one thing , no use at all if its really not up for the job, or should I say fit for what I really want it to do , my problem is not being clear what I want this kit for. I know highlander has a good system ( mentioned in posts ) which is great, but I need some thing portable ...say to run a fridge, light, and charging stuff, because of my total lack of knowledge on this subject is why I asked for help in this post, although I have not got huge funds to throw about, I do not want to make silly mistakes as waste time and money, I would rather pay more and get the right kit. Its far better to admit you no nothing or have no understanding , and get the help from people who do, many thanks all ....if anyone can recommend something worth looking at please reply, I will go no further with this till I get the right advice from members on here.