Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What Camo are you rocking?
29 October 2013, 22:37,
RE: What Camo are you rocking?
Mort & Charles.....do huntsmen really shoot anything that moves in the states, over here nobodies finger goes near a trigger until a species has been recognised a decent backstop has been evaluated and all aspects of a safe shot considered.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
30 October 2013, 00:10,
we would never sky a round or shoot a rustling bush.....you'd go to prison for a very longtime.
30 October 2013, 05:26,
(29 October 2013, 22:37)Midnitemo Wrote: Mort & Charles.....do huntsmen really shoot anything that moves in the states, over here nobodies finger goes near a trigger until a species has been recognised a decent backstop has been evaluated and all aspects of a safe shot considered.

Absolutely not! We have the same safety requirements common sense requires everywhere

Those tales are mostly myth and folklore spun around the invasion of urban hordes into the Pennsylvania and New York farm country back in the early 1900s.

You will find some fools in every population but hunting over here is more safe than skiing, skateboarding or driving to the corner market. Fewer people killed or injured in total.

Each person in the nation as far as I know, is required to attend and pass a hunter safety course before they can acquire a hunting license. The course is normally 10 hours of classroom training and a live fire exercise.

Due to the wearing of the safety orange we require for big game season, if a hunter is killed while wearing approved colors the shooter is automatically charged with murder. Every incident involving "hunting accidents" involving the orange has resulted in a conviction since the colors became legally required. When wearing 500 sq/in of orange it is virtually impossible to mistake a target.

When I am doing normal woods bumming I wear an orange hat. I keep an orange baseball cap and an orange watch cap in each vehicle.

SHTF has not started as of yet and I intend to be obvious.

Most of my woods time is spent in local wildlife management area hunting preserves and national wilderness areas, so I take it for granted that other hunters are present. Even if I do not see them I sure intend for them to see me.

Our small game seasons last from August until February, spring turkey season goes into the spring and some species of varmints are shot year around. That means hunters are in the field almost year around, so I wear orange quite a bit.

Two weeks ago I spent several days camping in the middle of some of the best bear hunting country in the nation and I felt quite safe. Except for the fear of the dogs running a burin through the middle of the camp!
30 October 2013, 15:34,
its just the requirement to wear all that orange must have been born out of a few huntsmen being shot be other over excitable huntsmen.
30 October 2013, 16:32,
Doesn't really matter what camo pattern you use.

The most important thing is to minimise movement.

Any hunter will tell you, that most prey is spotted by their movement, and no wild animal wears camo.

Look much. Move Little !

WaylanderCool
30 October 2013, 18:01, (This post was last modified: 30 October 2013, 18:06 by Mortblanc.)
(30 October 2013, 16:32)Waylander Wrote: Doesn't really matter what camo pattern you use.

The most important thing is to minimise movement.

Any hunter will tell you, that most prey is spotted by their movement, and no wild animal wears camo.

Look much. Move Little !

WaylanderCool

While movement is a primary giveaway camo is a first line survival mechanism of most wild animals, especially prey species.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http...CDEQ9QEwAw

Where's Waldo?

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http...CC0Q9QEwAQ
30 October 2013, 18:07,
(30 October 2013, 18:01)Mortblanc Wrote: Where's Waldo?

Nice snake.

Best you'd spot him a lot easier when it moves.

Which was my point Tongue

WaylanderCool
21 April 2014, 00:39,
Getting some new camo gear. My veggie wife is helping me decide on the pattern that'll be the most versatile in the majority of settings.

Looking at a semi textured, RealTree style camo gear.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
22 April 2014, 00:37,
Faded realtree/grassland mix is good for a wide variety of Uk settings + works reasonably well in many urban environments. Does not look militarised as long as camo pants are not worn at the same time. best with lighter brown or med grey hunter type or work trousers. Passes easily in urban settings and performs well in outline breakup. Summer grasses fade to light colours. Treescapes utilize the broken torso pattern with solid leg colour. Not great in open green grass/lawns but should be following boundary/wall lines anyway.
Urban environments outdoors utilize the overall faded light yellow/brown torso with grey legs to break up the pattern. Passes well in suburban areas and without drawing OTT attention. Good in low light. Excellent in ploughed fields and rocky terrain.

Military researchers found that many conventional patterns up to the turn of the century had too much dark patination in them and while good at close to medium range, they performed poorly at medium to long range. The contrast at longer ranges with the background stood out too much. Natural environmental colouration tends to appear lighter at longer range, whereas the camo patterns often appeared dark within the lighter background. This is not ideal for a survival scenario outdoors where the country may be more open & especially for being identified from the air or with optics.

Some of the modern hunter pattern materials work better in this respect when they have some serious hours under the belt and have faded somewhat. This can be simulated but retaining the servicea[/b]bility of new clothing by artificially fading the colour dyes by a carefully limited amount. The material fibres also then appear to have a slight whitey/grey non reflective sheen at the end of the fibres and this also contributes in a small way to the fading background ability depending on the light and precipitation. Enhances blending in to winter moor & grasslands.
"How far back in time do you think our future will be?"