Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Covered during recovery?
25 April 2013, 12:32,
RE: Covered during recovery?
(25 April 2013, 12:17)Tarrel Wrote: For an account of how easily a "lone wolf" can come to a sticky end, I recommend "Into The Wild" by John Krakauer. It's a journalistic account of the true story of Chris McCandless, the young American from a privileged background who gave all his money away and strode off into the Alaskan wilderness, never to be seen again. IIRC, it was food poisoning that got him in the end.

yeah loved that film
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
25 April 2013, 13:08, (This post was last modified: 25 April 2013, 13:10 by bigpaul.)
[quote='Scythe13' pid='55041' dateline='1366886163')

That's great and all mate, but I feel my initial question has been ignored.

Let's say you get an ear infection, your hearing is gone. What now?

Being quiet means very little if they can see you.

If you're unwell, laid up in bed, how will you tend crops, harvest food, cook, and the alike? Those are the kinds of things I'm looking to learn about. Is there any medication that can make you feel normal for a hour or something?
[/quote]

an ear infection is a nuisance it wont lay you up and i dont think you'll get it in both ears at the same time! being unwell is different, but how many illnesses actually lay you out in bed 24/7? you should be able to do some work it'll just be at a reduced level.

even a broken arm..its a painful nuisance but you've got another one!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
25 April 2013, 14:15,
i think too many people think WTSHTF it'll be like now but just with no electric and less people!....unless you get something like malaria or cancer then you should be able to do some work, pruning, weeding, fetching water, bringing firewood in from where you've chopped it..... there are too many people belittleing the lone survivor, it is possible to live alone, it has been done in the past and it will be done again in the future, some people just dont NEED or WANT to be near others.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
25 April 2013, 15:22,
(25 April 2013, 14:15)bigpaul Wrote: i think too many people think WTSHTF it'll be like now but just with no electric and less people!....unless you get something like malaria or cancer then you should be able to do some work, pruning, weeding, fetching water, bringing firewood in from where you've chopped it..... there are too many people belittleing the lone survivor, it is possible to live alone, it has been done in the past and it will be done again in the future, some people just dont NEED or WANT to be near others.

Totally agree. I'm not knocking the lone survivor at all. There is that guy that inspired the Robinson Crusso story.

The reason I was asking the Lone Wolf more than the group prepper was simply because if I get funked up, I was wondering whether there was a way for me to stay mostly effective so that I can still be a valid member of the group and contribute. What with lone wolves being more independent, I was wondering whether they had thought of a way to stay effective while damaged, unwell, or anything like that, that I could use to help my group.

Maybe it was a type of tea that increased your heartrate and worked like speed for when you're feeling tired from other medication (ephedra-tea, for example), or something like that.

This was more of a fact finding thread than a 'let's knock lone wolves and show them how silly they are thread'.

I'm after help for looking after myself so that other people don't have to.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
25 April 2013, 15:33, (This post was last modified: 25 April 2013, 15:38 by bigpaul.)
i think it all depends where you are when you get injured or get an illness, in an URBAN environment you may have more people moving about who you have to avoid until you are well again, so you keep a low profile, stay hidden until you are 100% again, in a RURAL area you may be far enough out that you dont have to worry about it too much. like i said i dont think any illness will knock you off your feet for 24 hours out of every 24, 7 days a week, so some light work should be possible.

personally i dont like relying on medication too much, a few pain killers is one thing but i dont want to use stimulants to keep me going- i think thats a dangerous path to tread, i've even given up booze and fags( a long time ago) so that i can keep a clear head when all around me are going crazy!
26 April 2013, 10:05,
Notice the striking similarity between James Holmes(Aurora shootings) and Chris McCandless.Into the Wild(book):journalistic,but still excellent.
Suburban neighbours= stranger- danger.