Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
No water scenario
8 May 2013, 13:56,
RE: No water scenario
I remember watching a Ray Mears programme in the dim and distant past when he did the desert island thing. As I recall, he extolled the virtue of coconut water, especially when no other water could be found but warned of detrimental effects after I think it was 3 or 4 daily.

8 May 2013, 13:57,
didnt you know? everything is BIGGER in the states!!Big GrinBig Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
8 May 2013, 14:00, (This post was last modified: 8 May 2013, 14:04 by Grumpy Grandpa.)
Also to be fair, Jonas did say, "Drinking too much coconut milk will cause diarrhea", he didn't say don't drink it or that it has no worth...

Details - or the lack of them - can get you dead!

8 May 2013, 14:34,
was what my parents said-"everything in moderation"Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
8 May 2013, 14:49,
(8 May 2013, 14:34)bigpaul Wrote: was what my parents said-"everything in moderation"Big Grin

Mine too - I guess they all did! The devil is always in the detail though. The difference being knowing them and not can mean 'good' or 'tits up'...

8 May 2013, 14:58,
thats where having had good parents will provide us with good life skills, and where the chavs will be the ones going"tits up"!!Big Grin
8 May 2013, 15:17,
Got to say though, my folks never got round to teaching me the difference between enough coconut water and too much... Big Grin

8 May 2013, 16:30,
(8 May 2013, 15:17)Grumpy Grandpa Wrote: Got to say though, my folks never got round to teaching me the difference between enough coconut water and too much... Big Grin

i NEVER saw a coconut until i was about 12!
8 May 2013, 17:35,
(8 May 2013, 13:50)Scythe13 Wrote:
(8 May 2013, 13:40)bigpaul Wrote:
(7 May 2013, 19:19)Jonas Wrote:
(7 May 2013, 18:39)bigpaul Wrote: i read somewhere that you need 2 litres(just under half a gallon for our American cousins) MINIMUM per person per day, thats just for drinking, not including for cooking or washing, and that was for someone who didnt move around too much and wasnt doing any heavy manual labour.
1/2 gallon or 2 liters of water in 80F or 26C is barely enough for an adult doing nothing but sitting in the shade watching the grass grow. If you're gardening, mowing the lawn, cutting trees, riding your bicycle or playing baseball, you need about 1/2 quart or 1/2 liter of water per hour.
YES, thats why i said "for someone who ISNT moving around much" DUH!!Big Grin

He plans on mowing the lawn for an hour or more! Damn he's got a big lawn....I'm kidding.

I hire a lawn service now, but it takes about 3 hours on a riding mower to cut the grass and run a "weed-eater" around the border. During the Texas summer, if it's daylight it's 80+F (right now, at 11:27 local time it's 79F). I push fluids (Gatorade or "Sgt. George's sweet 'n sour ice tea") on the fellow doing the mowing, at least 16 oz/hour. If his complexion is overly red, I invite him into the house to cool down and pay him for the cool-down time. No lawn is worth heatstroke or a life.

Last year we had about a 3 week stretch of 100+F highs. I didn't get a number of deaths attributed to the hot spell, but it was not inconsiderable.

Oh, and BP, I understood your post. That's why I added the information on fluid consumption quantities for an active person in hot weather. I thought it might be helpful to someone since you didn't originally address it. JP
If at first you don't secede, try, try again!
8 May 2013, 19:00, (This post was last modified: 8 May 2013, 19:26 by bigpaul.)
(8 May 2013, 17:35)Jonas Wrote:
(8 May 2013, 13:50)Scythe13 Wrote:
(8 May 2013, 13:40)bigpaul Wrote:
(7 May 2013, 19:19)Jonas Wrote:
(7 May 2013, 18:39)bigpaul Wrote: i read somewhere that you need 2 litres(just under half a gallon for our American cousins) MINIMUM per person per day, thats just for drinking, not including for cooking or washing, and that was for someone who didnt move around too much and wasnt doing any heavy manual labour.
1/2 gallon or 2 liters of water in 80F or 26C is barely enough for an adult doing nothing but sitting in the shade watching the grass grow. If you're gardening, mowing the lawn, cutting trees, riding your bicycle or playing baseball, you need about 1/2 quart or 1/2 liter of water per hour.
YES, thats why i said "for someone who ISNT moving around much" DUH!!Big Grin

He plans on mowing the lawn for an hour or more! Damn he's got a big lawn....I'm kidding.

I hire a lawn service now, but it takes about 3 hours on a riding mower to cut the grass and run a "weed-eater" around the border. During the Texas summer, if it's daylight it's 80+F (right now, at 11:27 local time it's 79F). I push fluids (Gatorade or "Sgt. George's sweet 'n sour ice tea") on the fellow doing the mowing, at least 16 oz/hour. If his complexion is overly red, I invite him into the house to cool down and pay him for the cool-down time. No lawn is worth heatstroke or a life.

Last year we had about a 3 week stretch of 100+F highs. I didn't get a number of deaths attributed to the hot spell, but it was not inconsiderable.

Oh, and BP, I understood your post. That's why I added the information on fluid consumption quantities for an active person in hot weather. I thought it might be helpful to someone since you didn't originally address it. JP

not that it gets that hot down here, but if it did i wouldnt be moving about much Jonas, do what work i could before it got to hot, then get in the shade, then resume work in the cool of the evening.

there are lots of jobs we can do sitting in the shade, it isnt all about hacking down the overgrowth or chopping down trees!

i have to say also, there isnt a blade of grass in our gardens, we dont DO lawns! all our available space is taken up with growing plants!