Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
No water scenario
5 May 2013, 13:41,
RE: No water scenario
Like I need another one!! My head's exploding already and I've barely started the Risk Register yet!!!

5 May 2013, 13:42,
(5 May 2013, 13:41)Grumpy Grandpa Wrote: Like I need another one!! My head's exploding already and I've barely started the Risk Register yet!!!

Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin slow down you dont need to do it all at once, shtf wont happen tomorrow.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
5 May 2013, 14:15,
Fingers crossed then and keep on ticking boxes... Big Grin

5 May 2013, 17:27,
(5 May 2013, 13:42)bigpaul Wrote:
(5 May 2013, 13:41)Grumpy Grandpa Wrote: Like I need another one!! My head's exploding already and I've barely started the Risk Register yet!!!

Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin slow down you don't need to do it all at once, shtf wont happen tomorrow.

NO, SHTF is actually scheduled for Tuesday! Big Grin
If at first you don't secede, try, try again!
5 May 2013, 17:29,
That's a relief then... plenty of time! Big Grin

5 May 2013, 17:36,
(5 May 2013, 17:27)Jonas Wrote:
(5 May 2013, 13:42)bigpaul Wrote:

Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin slow down you don't need to do it all at once, shtf wont happen tomorrow.

NO, SHTF is actually scheduled for Tuesday! Big Grin

yeah right, if you say soBig Grin when TSHTF the first thing you'll know of it is when the power grid shuts down.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
5 May 2013, 18:28,
I am not sure how long I could hold out.

First, I would have to use up the 2500 gallons in the cistern. Using 3 gallons a day for drinking, washing and cooking that should last oh, I don't know, maybe 800 days?

Then I would have to start hauling water from the Lake.

How long does it take to drink up a lake 2 miles long and 1/2 mile wide?

We have never in history suffered a drought that gave us no rain for a full year. It simply does not happen in my area. It is an equally unlikely scenario in GB.

As for the power shut off being the warning???

Usually power shut off is the catalyst that starts SHTF in the urban setting. In most rural areas power shut off is merely an inconvenience one prepares for as normal course of country life.

I would think that the first sign of SHTF in the rural setting would be seeing a flow of refugees with back packs, on bicycles, motorbikes and in overloaded small cars trying desperately to find the BOL they always dreamed of.
6 May 2013, 14:52,
We have a garden pond. Last year we dredged it and effectively started from scratch. When filling it, I checked the volume - 2,000 litres, and it's only a modest size. The pond is now a balanced eco-system with a good mix of plants, insects, amphibians, etc. The water remains relatively clear. This is our emergency water supply (after filtering, naturally). We also have the sea and distillation as a back-up - just a few minutes' walk, but this means using precious firewood and also leaving the bug-in location.

Good scenario. Lack of water is one of the few things that'll kill you short-term in a post-SHTF situation (apart from bacteria and other people!)
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.
6 May 2013, 16:35,
(5 May 2013, 13:34)Grumpy Grandpa Wrote: Hi M, I found that bit I knew I had read (it was bugging me, so I had to convince myself I hadn't been dreaming!) Here it is:

"With respect to the healthfulness of the water, most health experts that are up to date on current research are no longer recommending drinking RO or distilled water on a long-term basis because these methods remove all the beneficial minerals from the water making the water an acidic "hypotonic" solution. A chemist will tell you that any time a hypotonic (de-mineralized) solution comes into contact with a "hypertonic" (mineralized) solution, the minerals within the hypertonic solution will transfer out and into the hypotonic solution until equilibrium is achieved. What this means is simply that when one drinks hypotonic water, the minerals in the blood and lymphatic system, which are hypertonic, transfer into the hypotonic RO or distilled water that is consumed and the minerals are flushed out of the body upon urination.

In an effort to re-mineralize, the blood and lymphatic systems then begin to scavenge for minerals from other parts of the body, such as bones and other organs, and this process repeats itself every time de-mineralized hypotonic water is re-consumed. Several studies suggest that people who drink de-mineralized water (hypotonic) over a long period of time tend to be more prone to degenerative diseases such as osteoporosis."

It is a long term use issue and I'd definitely rather drink it than die but it's worth being aware of...

With the greatest of respect, that is absolute quackery. It is based on fallacious science.
6 May 2013, 16:43,
ive been checking out these,
http://www.amazon.co.uk/stainless-purifi...=lifesaver
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Drinksafe-Waters...=lifestraw

both cheap and useable
i may even save up and get this, probably better, cos you can use it to fill a flask, or kettle
http://www.amazon.co.uk/LIFESAVER-System...=lifesaver