Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
No water scenario
6 May 2013, 16:54,
RE: No water scenario
I have a small Katadyn Mini filter which I got from Penrith Survival years ago. It's proved its worth in Africa. I took it on the coast-to-coast across Scotland the other year, as it's so light and compact, but ended up mailing it home half way across as there was plenty of fresh water to be had from burns and rivers.
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.
6 May 2013, 18:06,
(6 May 2013, 16:35)BDG Wrote: With the greatest of respect, that is absolute quackery. It is based on fallacious science.

Now - I'm just not entirely sure who you're accusing of being a quack and fallacious, so maybe you could just back off a tad till we have that clear. Just by the way, it can hardly be respectful, no matter how great your emphasis upon it, to make such an accusation of anyone!

Either way, don't shoot the messenger. Back in Post 71, I said I'd read it - I was reporting it (within the context), not preaching it! Sad

6 May 2013, 18:22,
(6 May 2013, 18:06)Grumpy Grandpa Wrote:
(6 May 2013, 16:35)BDG Wrote: With the greatest of respect, that is absolute quackery. It is based on fallacious science.

Now - I'm just not entirely sure who you're accusing of being a quack and fallacious, so maybe you could just back off a tad till we have that clear. Just by the way, it can hardly be respectful, no matter how great your emphasis upon it, to make such an accusation of anyone!

Either way, don't shoot the messenger. Back in Post 71, I said I'd read it - I was reporting it (within the context), not preaching it! Sad

He did say `with the greatest respect` so he is clearly not talking about you,.. but the facts in the written piece
A major part of survival is invisibility.
6 May 2013, 18:27,
Yes he did say that but no, it did not make that clear...

6 May 2013, 19:18,
(6 May 2013, 18:06)Grumpy Grandpa Wrote: Now - I'm just not entirely sure who you're accusing of being a quack and fallacious, so maybe you could just back off a tad till we have that clear.

I am stating anyone who is pushing the idea and claiming they are qualified to do so, for that is a quack is - a charlatan and seller of mistruths.

(6 May 2013, 18:06)Grumpy Grandpa Wrote: Just by the way, it can hardly be respectful, no matter how great your emphasis upon it, to make such an accusation of anyone!

The greatest of respect was directed at you. The "accusation" was directed at the one committing health fraud. That is unless you are claiming to be scientifically qualified and making the claims yourself.

Cooking in distilled water can leach slightly more nutrients from food than in water containing impurities. That is all. To overcome any problems this could cause (which would not be a lot if you had a balanced diet), drink the water your veg was cooked in or use it for other things.

Should TSHTF I imagine a lot of our meals would be stews, broths and pottages for simplicity and efficiency of cooking. As such we would have few problems using distilled water.
6 May 2013, 22:25,
I live near the thames (not in town). There are several streams etc near me as well as the river itself, so for me I have an abundace of unclean water.
From what I have seen the Katadyn Pocket Microfilter Water Filter seems to be a good idea: http://www.katadyn.com/en/katadyn-produc...yn-pocket/

Would that be good enough to filter water from a main river such as the thames, bearing in mind it has been found to have that Weils disease http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-11625889 ?

If i'm gonna spend around £250 its gotta do what is says on the tin.
6 May 2013, 23:11,
I am a few miles from the sea and about 200 meters from a large (Ish) River. But if those were unavailable to me then I would be forced to seek an alternative either a well of some form or bugging out. You don't really have time to think in those situations. It could be potentially disastrous to ponder.
6 May 2013, 23:38,
DAAMMNNN

just did a massive reply and it vanished when I tried to post it!

Cant be bothered to rewrite the whole thing because I'm on my phone at the moment.

I'll write it half up and maybe the whole thing if I can charge my phone.

I'm stunned nobody has even suggested using less water!

1. Reduce daily physical effort to reduce sweat and water required to replenish that lost via sweat.

2. Maximise static cooling, preferably via non-mains appliances, e.g. Solar powered fans. The cooler you are the less you sweat.

3. Minimise air con exposure. Might seem contradictory, but aircon dries out the circulated air so makes you thirsty.

4. Maximise water non-liquid water intake. Eat more fruits like apples and water melons. Stuff like cucumber will be high on the consumption list.

5. Reduce protein intake. Your bodu uses loads of water to digest protein. Time to drop that.

6. Focus physical work at cooler times of the day....for obvious reasons.

7. Do as the Mexicans do....midday sleep. Reduce exertion at hottest time of the day.

8. Distill as much water as possible. Solar stills all day! Only collect water early AM to get cool water not hot midday water.

9. Collect all bodily removed fluid. Sounds minging, but if it's survive or die, I'll.do it. Sweat soaked tshirt.....into a solar still. Pee in buckets.....solar still.

10. Find alternative water. Everyone saying about natural lakes etc....everyone will be after them. They would be drying out too. Ground water should be safer though. Plastic bag wrapped around a leafy branch will collect water from the tree.

11. Bathe less. Simple. Sun shower, out in the light, naked or in boxers.....all good.

12. Look into digging up cached water...if need be.

I can't be bothered to rewrite the whole list, but these are the main ones.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
7 May 2013, 00:32,
BDG,

While there are a couple of reasons for me having had a poor day, there are NO excuses for my unpleasant attitude earlier and for that, I apologise. I overreacted and I was wrong.

Without going into - 'what I said was' and ' what I meant was' and that sort of crap, the information came from Berkey water filters, I remembered having read it and passed in on in good faith.

Once again, my apologies.

7 May 2013, 12:10,
Cutting down on your water consumption could be a good idea for any scenario.

In the Western world, do we consume too much water? I remember watching a program a while ago about a group of westerners who were kidnapped in the Columbian jungle. Their guides were laughing at them due to their high water consumption. Also, I was in Tunisia recently and did the touristy thing of going to the desert. There is no way that the locals were consuming the Western recommended consumption rate.