Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The Earth Sheltered Dwelling
30 April 2013, 18:16,
The Earth Sheltered Dwelling
A novel way of making a hideaway in a TSHFT situation, not sure I can try it out in my garden though!!
http://selousscouts.blogspot.co.uk/2013/...tered.html
30 April 2013, 18:30,
RE: The Earth Sheltered Dwelling
I like it....big time..... easy to build.....you could use the natural lay of the land to hide the structure , plant a few bushes.... grass it over, good post jan!
30 April 2013, 19:02,
looks good ..... simple to build with a bit of effort and as SS say would be easy to hide if you use the lay of the land and have a bit of time to let the grass grow over it use bushes to cover the entrance and break up the shape of the structure
30 April 2013, 19:29,
you could also use earth rammed tyres.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
30 April 2013, 19:54,
looks good ,lived in alot worse
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
30 April 2013, 19:57,
it seems to use an awful lot of timber...i wonder if it could be done using old pallets??
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
30 April 2013, 20:45,
will depend on how much dirt is loaded on top ..... pallets may not fair as well as the lumber shown
30 April 2013, 21:06,
There is probably sort of waterproof material between the wood and the soil, even with a slope like there would be a risk of a leak otherwise, and it would be a pity to get all the soil on and then find out you need a plastic sheet.. I have made what we call the `bunker` a lot smaller than that, but the same sort of design,... I used eight inch diameter logs, but my `bunker` is only eight feet long, so they are laid lengthways in an arch shape, rather than a conical,... well worth making a little hidy-hole somewhere if you have the space
A major part of survival is invisibility.
30 April 2013, 21:21,
if your digging a hole that long and deep, why not just bury a small caravan? or cargo container? both be stronger than wood, easy to insulate, and you can still conceal the doors.
30 April 2013, 21:30, (This post was last modified: 30 April 2013, 21:44 by Straight Shooter.)
If you take a closer look at the pics , the main strength is centralized, (where the main weight is directed and transferred from the roof rafters , as for the conical shape this adds to the strength of the opposing rafters , the top level of the structure (tier) along with the conical shape directs the smoke from a fire to terminate centrally ...acts as chimney / flue ....a plastic DPM sheet or tarp would be required slung over roof timbers before earth AND gravel stones were applied , you could lay grass lawn turf over for instant camouflage .....do not forget a bolt/escape hole

No need to dig a big hole at all ....where two hill intercept one another at a rough angle of 90 degs that would work....BUT where the V is , don't forget to dig this out / or place rocks in at this point...at that point there is already a natural DRAIN water flow or raised floor of timber ....even better.

Camouflage could also be veg.....

LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION

Dig out for a plastic drum ( water supply )