Poll: CROSBOWS would you have one in your kit?
This poll is closed.
Yes a Recurve bow
50.00%
3 50.00%
Yes a Compound bow
0%
0 0%
Yes undecided
50.00%
3 50.00%
No cant justify it
0%
0 0%
Total 6 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
About Crossbows
21 November 2011, 13:57,
Exclamation  About Crossbows
I've seen the thread below about pistol and rifle bows, I already have a pistol bow of the same type as the 80 lb bow listed in the link, I also had an old Barnett wildcat I think it was.
But today I'm questioning the need to possibly buy a better bow, BUT which one and why ?

I wondered if we could debate pros and cons of X bows, and try some combined research to see if we can find a bow that is best suited to the needs of preppers.

I would like a rifle bow for example, but recurve or compound,
alloy or metal prod,
how long can I leave a compound strung for,
how long will the string or cable last for on either type.
What length / size bolts are best etc.
Wooden Stock or synthetic
How many spare strings, cables would you keep
how many bolts would you keep
what is a good alround draw weight
can you " rest the draw weight on an uncocked compund bow for storage?

I wonder if Skean could assist by setting up a debate to draw out information and opinion on this important issue..

I already have a recurve traditional 3 piece bow plus all the extras a prepper could dream of, BUT its simply to big for my needs.

My dream bow is over 100lb but under 200lb draw weight, light, compact and being a prepper always trying to be ready a bow that can be left strung for long periods. I dont want to grab it in a hurry only to find it had deteriated to a point of uselessness.

Can this community help me find a good bow and perhaps work out a common standard type for prepping?
Thanks in advance
NR

21 November 2011, 15:00, (This post was last modified: 21 November 2011, 15:08 by Skvez.)
RE: About Crossbows
If you're considering defending your location (either bugging in or defending the location you bug out to) you want some form of range weapon.
Bows and catapults have the advantage of being a lot quieter than a gun.
There is little point in killing the first gremlin with a shot that attracts 20 more.

I'm pondering whether I want to buy a good bow that I can't maintain or build a mediocre one that I should be able to repair indefinitely.

> how many bolts would you keep
Lots.
I managed to damage two arrows over the weekend just target shooting.
If you only want it for defence 20 to 50 might be sufficient (remember you'll need and loose some at practice too).
If you plan to hunt with it too expect to loose one per hunting trip. So if you plan to go hunting twice a week for 10 years you'd need 1000!
That seems like a lot but it's low compared to what our US colleagues store in terms of (0.22) ammo.
Suddenly the slingshot becomes more attractive as ball bearings are a lot less expensive. Stones are free but because they are irregular they tumble and aren't as accurate.
Doctor Prepper: What's the worst that could happen?
21 November 2011, 15:16,
Got the slingshot, dont know where though, and my BSA Ultra Carbine does 99% of what I want, its the last 1% I need to address.

21 November 2011, 20:52,
I need something for hunting ,Price range on bows are expensive but air rifles are way cheep these days so i think i,ll go with a few 22's with a few tins of normal and some tins of pointed dart type pellets for the zombies Big Grin
Watch your six
21 November 2011, 21:33,
Your not supposed to use broadheads in the uk (for hunting)I dont think from memory, but like most things you can get them if you know where to go.
the boe I'd like would be a traditional bare bow about a 5 foot longbow with about 100lb draw weight and some nice broadheads to suit. If you check out certain websites they give recipies for poisons to tip arrows with (anti zombie).catty's are the biz as well, I wouldnt fancy a ballbearing from one in the face...
"Some say the end is near, some say we will see Armageddon soon...
I certainly hope we will, I sure could use a vacation from this silly shit."
21 November 2011, 22:24,
Not that I'm saying this is a perfect backup to "proper" bolts, but I used to make my own crossbow rounds out of dowel rod and ball bearings (from my old slingshot) stuck on with Araldite. Flights were made of 3 printer labels stuck and cut accordingly. In a pinch you could improvise your own broadhead with, for example, scalpel blades (albeit not the strongest due to their flat thinness).

As for stock, synthetic always - we're talking survival situations, which could mean long periods of use in the wet and cold, so for me wood is inferior in protracted hardcore scenarios.

I've read it (but never tried it) that strings can be improvised if you have enough dental floss!
21 November 2011, 23:23,
You can still buy Broadheads on ebay, mostly made in China though so I dont know what the quality is like, there are also a few online shops that sell them in the UK (usually imported from the US) but they aren't cheap

I watched a utube vid of a bloke making some out of china plates, he was "knapping" them like the way you would work flint. Obviously not as good as the real thing but more effective than a standard "target" arrow which is designed to penetrate but cause little damage. Tea Spoons, flattened and cut to shape are another good option

21 November 2011, 23:35,
Make some petrol style rombo war heads ,wooorarrr
Watch your six
22 February 2012, 21:53, (This post was last modified: 22 February 2012, 21:56 by Timelord.)
Quote by Skvez "Suddenly the slingshot becomes more attractive as ball bearings are a lot less expensive. Stones are free but because they are irregular they tumble and aren't as accurate."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Simples... Clay balls or pellets, hardened near a gentle heatsource or in the sun have been used effectively in history and still are in the middle east. Also lead pellets can be made by pressing the thumbtip into damp sand and then pouring in molten lead. This is simple tech and easy around a campfire. These pellets have far more destructive power than steel ballbearings. The same reasons as for gun use. More symmetrical stones can be sourced over time whilst on ones wanderings. Other objects such a nuts and bolts can be launched from a slingshot - in fact a whole multitude of expedient projectiles can be foraged. these can be used as is or simply modified to improve performance.
The lead pellet one is particularily effective though and easy to aquire/manufacture. In fact it would be obvious that a simple small lead ball firearm mold would be perfect for slingshot use and so the bullets would be cast repeatedly uniform as lead spheres. the accuracy would be maintained and the effectiveness greater than steel bearings. Simples! TL.
(21 November 2011, 20:52)Twoesme Wrote: I need something for hunting ,Price range on bows are expensive but air rifles are way cheep these days so i think i,ll go with a few 22's with a few tins of normal and some tins of pointed dart type pellets for the zombies Big Grin

You'll just make them angry! lol