Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Read as your appliances may become useless
4 May 2013, 15:47,
RE: Read as your appliances may become useless
(4 May 2013, 03:27)Ellen Wrote: Mortblanc
I personally don't want either and I sure hate the idea of doing without a refrigerator if the SHTF.
But my point was if your appliances are old and you think they may not make it then purchase a new one now, before the 3 years stated in the article.
And why should they be allowed acess to our stuff. Gives me the creeps. Worse than cameras all over the place watching you pick your nose.

They are not accessing 'your stuff'. You buy an appliance with the chip on it. If the grid is stretched, the frequency of the electricity drops below 50hz. The chip switches off the appliance.

Just as you can buy a hacked satellite or cable TV box or games console, a crappy switch of chip will be no problem to bypass.

http://forum.survivaluk.net/showthread.php?tid=4851
4 May 2013, 16:24,
or just buy an older model that dosent have the chip in it. maybe second hand.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
4 May 2013, 16:48,
Whatever way you look at it, it's another sign of the UKs massive overpopulation problem.
4 May 2013, 16:52,
yep, services are stretched to the limit. NHS A&E services cant cope at the weekends.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
4 May 2013, 17:01,
(4 May 2013, 16:48)MCavity Wrote: Whatever way you look at it, it's another sign of the UKs massive overpopulation problem.

Perhaps you are not overpopulated.

Perhaps you are underserved technologically.

You were overpopulated in 1850.

At 1850 population levels and today's technology you would have surplus of everything.

In spite of our avoidance of technology as preppers, if tptb put everything they have access to in place we would be much better off materially.

In the 1960s-1980s I was driving small cars that got 40mpg. Today my small car gets a whopping 30mpg.

They can make a solar car that crosses Australia but they can not give me an electric that will get to the corner store and back on a charge.

I am sure if they put 4" of foam insulation and cold pack material in my fridge whey could make it store food for 24 hours on one hour of operation.

After all, I do have camping coolers that will keep ice for a week!
4 May 2013, 18:03, (This post was last modified: 4 May 2013, 18:05 by I-K-E.)
seen this first handish ...... OH had very bad pain due to a gallbladder problem on Friday evening the pain got that bad that she got took into A&E. The doctor basically said that if had not been weekend then they would have admitted her for an emergency operation

same thing happened on the sunday and she was admitted and had the gallbladder out with in hours

taking about the over stretched NHS that BP mentioned
4 May 2013, 18:08,
(4 May 2013, 18:03)I-K-E Wrote: seen this first handish ...... OH had very bad pain due to a gallbladder problem on Friday evening the pain got that bad that she got took into A&E. The doctor basically said that if had not been weekend then they would have admitted her for an emergency operation

same thing happened on the sunday and she was admitted and had the gallbladder out with in hours

taking about the over stretched NHS that BP mentioned

that was what happened to me EXACTLY back in 1995!Big Grin
4 May 2013, 19:46,
Hold up there BarneyBoy
The US is indeed bigger. But we small people have to be down right stingy with our usage. The Green peacers and EPAer's are giving our gov'ment a snow job and we are getting the dirty end of the stick here.
The biggest usage is those Refrigeration units. They eat it up even when you don't use them, well it seems that way.
I have tried to tell my Sister, Daughter and grand daughter that you can run a Water cooler all day and all night and it not cost near what refrigeration does. I am always amazed that those that have refrigeration run fans to circulate the air hence double usage.
People are down right spoiled and in the end they will suffer worse than if they did without little by little now.
As far as China goes they need to invent a big sucker machine to suck out all that industrial waste smog they have. No wonders the H whatever number chicken/bird/teradactyle (spelling) flu goes rampant.
Big Paul
I do know they kept baked goods in them. They may have been an Amish invention so that they could store food as they did only what was necessary on Sunday's. But who knows.
4 May 2013, 21:58, (This post was last modified: 4 May 2013, 21:58 by Tarrel.)
If anyone is worried about keeping food cool off-the-grid or post-SHTF, one solution is to get a chest freezer and convert it to a fridge. There are conversion kits available on ebay for about £25.00.

A chest freezer has two advantages over a fridge:
- The lid opens from the top, keeping the (heavy) cool air inside, and
- They are much better insulated than the best fridges.

What this means is that if you run a freezer at the temperature of a fridge (around +4 degrees), instead of at the temperature of a freezer (-18 degrees), it costs a tiny amount of energy to run. This means you can run one with a very modest solar PV array and battery, or something like a small marine wind turbine.

I read that an A-rated chest freezer, running as a fridge, consumes only around 0.15 kWh per day. That's around 12 Ah at 12 V, meaning a 100 Ah battery would keep you going for a week without any charging.

Personally, my preps involve not using a fridge post-SHTF.
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.
4 May 2013, 23:06,
thats interesting Tarrel

and I think that it would be worth investing in for a post SHTF as whilst most preps will not be needing a fridge but once we get back to living and possible farming and hunting the ability to store food stuffs for a few days will be valuable.

if you buy the kit and just use a chest freezer as normal you've got the option of turning it to a highly efficient fridge if needed