Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Why you need hibiscus
7 May 2013, 00:13,
Why you need hibiscus
If you're not already growing it, you should be.

Hibiscus is fast growing and grows almost anywhere. The leaves are strong and soft. When folded over or doubled up, make awesome toilet paper!

The bark is easily stripped, and when beaten, becomes thin strong fibres that make brilliant rope.

The plant is easy to train to make straight arrows.

The internal pulp makes great tinder when dried.

There's probably more to this plant, but that's all I can remember. Don's ask me what made me think of hibiscus, but I really should have mentioned it before....I must have.....somewhere.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
7 May 2013, 08:08,
RE: Why you need hibiscus
If you can make rope you can make bow strings
7 May 2013, 16:08, (This post was last modified: 7 May 2013, 16:13 by Scythe13.)
(7 May 2013, 08:08)Metroyeti Wrote: If you can make rope you can make bow strings

Spot on.

You can also make thin threads for clothing! Sewing thread. Stitches. Show laces (not recommended, but can work for flip-flops).

http://www.bukisa.com/articles/40951_50-...f-hibiscus
7 May 2013, 21:45,
Since the plant is said to 'thrive on humidity', is it not difficult to cultivate in the UK? I'd imagine it'd be near impossible in more northern climes! Any northern/Scots gardeners out there?

8 May 2013, 13:43,
(7 May 2013, 21:45)Grumpy Grandpa Wrote: Since the plant is said to 'thrive on humidity', is it not difficult to cultivate in the UK? I'd imagine it'd be near impossible in more northern climes! Any northern/Scots gardeners out there?

Indoors or in a greenhouse if you want it to 'thrive', but it grows fine in the UK. We used to have some up North in Warrington when we lived up there. So you got me thinking whether it was a specific type of hibiscus.

http://www.gardentoday.co.uk/plant-encyc...s/hibiscus
8 May 2013, 14:06,
My thanks - good lead...