Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
forget gold in a Mad Max scenario.
10 May 2013, 19:17,
forget gold in a Mad Max scenario.
http://www.thedailysheeple.com/forget-go...rio_052013
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
10 May 2013, 21:17,
RE: forget gold in a Mad Max scenario.
(10 May 2013, 19:17)bigpaul Wrote: http://www.thedailysheeple.com/forget-go...rio_052013

dont think gold and silver will get you a pint of piss wtshtf
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
10 May 2013, 22:33,
Best thing to do with it then is put it in a sock and use it as a weapon.
10 May 2013, 23:16,
(10 May 2013, 22:33)BDG Wrote: Best thing to do with it then is put it in a sock and use it as a weapon.

Use the gold to buy the only real measure of wealth, Land.
10 May 2013, 23:29,
My personal opinion is post SHTF the new currency wil be canned food
11 May 2013, 08:45,
(10 May 2013, 23:29)SecretPrepper Wrote: My personal opinion is post SHTF the new currency wil be canned food

yep you got that right!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
11 May 2013, 12:07,
It is a perrenial debate whether precious metals will be of any value in a post collapse scenario. It is also a common thread that "The Dark Ages" proves the above premise, but this is very misleading. The below quote from a "Historian" shows a lack of understanding of the basic terminology, and the facts that were extant in Europe at the time, he has used flawed and vague argument and terminology to "prove" his position. Look at the first statement below

A number of readers have asked ‘doesn’t gold survive a Mad Max event?’

Historically, the answer to that is no. Dark Ages seem to be the total collapse of all economic activity on a collective basis.

First of all "The Dark Ages" is a term that has no real meaning in History as Historians refer to this period as the "Early Medieval". Saying the "Dark Ages seems to be the total collapse of all economic activity on a collective basis" is a convoluted way of pointing out an obvious fact that is used in a contrived way as proof. The Roman Empire controlled many mints, below is a list with their corresponding mint marks. Is it not obvious that these mints would cease production on the collapse of the Western Empire, ceasing economic activity, "what is his point"?
http://finds.org.uk/romancoins/articles/...tury-mints

The next statement just emphasises the same flawed argument.

"This is why there are huge gaps in the monetary history in Greece, Western Europe after the fall of Rome"

So because the Western Roman Empire collapsed there were huge gaps in monetary History, of course there is because the mints stopped working!!. The author conveniently forgets The Eastern Roman Empire known as Byzantium that existed up to 1453 and was immensly rich. The Vacuum left by the Fall of the Western Empire was taken up by Byzantium, which continued to mint Gold and Silver coins which found their way through trade to Scandinavia, Russia, Britain and all other European countries. It was only the Western Roman economy that collapsed, and it was rapidly replaced by that of Byzantium, so to talk of an economic wasteland is wrong and has no basis in fact. The "Dark Ages" were never dark at all, it was a dynamic period of trade, movement of peoples and changing attitudes. At no time did Gold or Silver become "useless", as trade continued across borders and Gold and Silver were the universal coinage of the known world. To say becuse of the Roman collapse money became worthless is plainly wrong and can be borne out by historical fact. Many Preppers poo poo the idea of the actual worth of PM's and this is a valid viewpoint for them, I do not take that view though as I only have to look at the fact that for 99+% of recorded human history the only two things people have relied on as a form of portable wealth is Gold and Silver, and that will not change.
11 May 2013, 13:20, (This post was last modified: 11 May 2013, 13:29 by RoadWarrior.)
Yes my thoughts too BP, gold will be not be of much use post SHTF.....silver is probs abit more usefull ..not much tho !! canned food and obviously water will be the only real" money."....after all the only use shit loadsa gold to make teknologee....i pads ,pods n that sorta crap...i cant see it having any real use unless you wanna collect it , melt it down to make a crown for yourself...and be a king of your allotment !!! or make a big phallic object to worship and start your own religion (also useless IMO) RW

also .... returning to Gold and silver will signal the return to square 1, as in starting this civilised system of primitive banking ...meaning someones gonna be at the top ..in charge AGAIN ...i dont want this....bartering..i dont have a problem with that ..i like swapping stuff( not the wife tho !!) there will if you think about it loadsa gold as in teeth ,wedding rings.jewellry etc... i doesnt mean much to me anyway just my thoughts as i dont own any gold...not a materialistic person where that stuff is anyway.
11 May 2013, 13:45,
yes i agree RW, even if we had a stock of gold or silver in a post civilisation scenario, who is going to decide what the exchange rate is for that tin of beans, or that disposable lighter, or whatever? it will have to be like for like-a straight swap, non of this pussy footing about, do the swap(on neutral ground) and leave-fast, make sure they dont follow you home.
11 May 2013, 16:25,
(11 May 2013, 13:45)bigpaul Wrote: yes i agree RW, even if we had a stock of gold or silver in a post civilisation scenario, who is going to decide what the exchange rate is for that tin of beans, or that disposable lighter, or whatever? it will have to be like for like-a straight swap, non of this pussy footing about, do the swap(on neutral ground) and leave-fast, make sure they dont follow you home.

The exchange rate will not be set by one person or a government, but rather by the market itself. 1 can of beans will be worth whatever people are willing to pay for it.

Straight swaps are great if you want a can of beans which I own, and I want the disposable lighter that you own. But what if I want a dozen eggs and the guy with the eggs doesn't want my tin of beans, but roller-gauze bandages, and the person with the bandages wants your lighter, but not a dozen eggs? At some point in time (probably sooner than later), currency will develop. One thing I'll bet with a good deal of certainty though: paper money will NOT be used!
If at first you don't secede, try, try again!