Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
prepping in small spaces.
11 May 2013, 09:56,
prepping in small spaces.
http://readynutrition.com/resources/sust..._06052013/
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
11 May 2013, 10:20,
RE: prepping in small spaces.
Already living this. it isn't as easy but it is doable. i personally think water is the hardest thing t store in an a apartment.
11 May 2013, 13:55,
(11 May 2013, 10:20)SecretPrepper Wrote: Already living this. it isn't as easy but it is doable. i personally think water is the hardest thing t store in an a apartment.

with water is the weight you've got to watch, especially if your putting it in a roof space or loft.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
11 May 2013, 14:18,
we live in a two bed terrace so storgage is not too much of an issue yet as we are using under the stairs and the shed/loft are an option later but I'm thinking about some secret storage such as under the units in the kitchen behind the kick boards, may be a false wall in a walk-in cupboard and finally under the floorboards in the front of the property (the back is all concrete)
12 May 2013, 13:01, (This post was last modified: 12 May 2013, 13:03 by RoadWarrior.)
Im only in a 2 bedroom house at moment, space is a huge premium when u got kids...toys virtually eat all our storage space !! ive had some mad ideas about outside storage that im gonna tell you ! havent done this yet ..!! okay grey or white plasic drain pipe ...the stuff is usually sold in 3/4 /5 mtr lengths , a one that goes from a drain area to an area around the roof guttering...a hopper top that you seal with pipe weld/solvent is best. about 6 or so clips to fasten securely to the brick work ,then on the botton pipe section you cut a " CAN" or slightly bigger area then put a normal into the drain spout fitting on and seal this end to from the inside....then cut a larger "door " cover to overlap the hole you made to fit your hand/cans thru....then you feed the cans up ...one at a time and you now have a concealed but in plain sight "gravity fed can system ...poss holding 25 or more cans /tins...obviously a 2015/16 use by date is gonna be best ,then seal/solvent weld the door and forget about it !! the thing i would say is the weight may justify a brick or block of wood underneath it. no one is gonna steal or weigh in you grey guttering !!obviously..lol....and in an emergency you rip it off the wall or leave it ....and open with a hacksaw at nite preferably ...when u wud also fill it up ......cheers RW

also when the door cover is back on you turn it to face the brickwork .
12 May 2013, 16:33, (This post was last modified: 12 May 2013, 16:46 by Mortblanc.)
If you are going to use fake gutters why not go one step farther and use fake rain barrels?

I have several friends that have sealed plastic 55gallon barrels buried on and off their property. The ones they have on site are under flower beds and bird baths for easy location and retrieval.

One friend's raised garden beds are over a concrete vault.

My own 2,500 gallon water storage tank is disguised as a patio/porch.

As for apartment dwellers, I think I would use closed cabinet furniture, closed bookcases, file cabinets, wardrobes, stacking units, attic space. Even in my present situation I have huge under bed storage areas I created by eliminating my box springs and using a huge box with a hinged lid the size of the bed and almost a foot deep.

On several occasions I have used off site storage units until I could secure items at home.

SHTF the public storage will be a target but not as large a target as you might think. Few people store really valuable items in them anyway.

There is also the factor that if SHTF the first thing you would do would be transfer the contents to the apartment or house and stack it in the closets or a spare room and the he!! with the kids toy space, with the primary intent of beating the looters to the stash.
12 May 2013, 17:50,
I have thought long and hard about the pros and cons about burying caches on your own property food or other items...and remember in England ....we don't have huge Texan backyards ! were are lucky to get 13 feet by 18 feet im guessing as an average back yard area/garden. now call me paranoid .....but TPTB may be able to find your cache in the garden...ive been on a walk this afternoon and think ive found a place less than 1 mile away from my "Castle Road Warrior"...to put a small 1st tub. the OH wont let me rip up the front rooms floor boards even with the offer of a new carpet !! I did for a time fancy under the cupboards in the kitchen ....but its all tied in with the laminate flooring so will leave that for the time being .it makes me think about that film "the Burbs" when there in the yard digging....and the neighbours seeing them thinking WTF they doing ....that's what my neighbours wud probs think ! RW
15 May 2013, 12:56,
I found a good spot for storing packets is by Velcro taping them (you can buy sticky backed Velcro 2cm dots) to the back of book cases and wardrobes and recently saw a prepper who'd created a hidden slide at the top of all her doors in which she had a thin plastic wire type mesh pouch packed with mre's it held around 30+ in each door.
22 May 2013, 16:26,
(12 May 2013, 17:50)RoadWarrior Wrote: I have thought long and hard about the pros and cons about burying caches on your own property food or other items...and remember in England ....we don't have huge Texan backyards ! were are lucky to get 13 feet by 18 feet im guessing as an average back yard area/garden. now call me paranoid .....but TPTB may be able to find your cache in the garden...ive been on a walk this afternoon and think ive found a place less than 1 mile away from my "Castle Road Warrior"...to put a small 1st tub. the OH wont let me rip up the front rooms floor boards even with the offer of a new carpet !! I did for a time fancy under the cupboards in the kitchen ....but its all tied in with the laminate flooring so will leave that for the time being .it makes me think about that film "the Burbs" when there in the yard digging....and the neighbours seeing them thinking WTF they doing ....that's what my neighbours wud probs think ! RW

I love the idea of storing items under cupboards and floor boards. At the moment I have items on my bookcases. I have extra deep ones so I can hide items behind the books.