Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
gonna attempt another North East RV...
17 May 2013, 23:40,
RE: gonna attempt another North East RV...
Either the angel or the derwent walk. Angel is actually better if you want to learn to recognise terrain an potential BOLs. Good walk down into the valley, have a pint at the Ravensworth and so on. If you wanted to keep away from cameras park at the angel pub and walk across over the farm and down the track to the bottom of the team valley where it is still rural.

People would be more likely to accept a group of people that look like 'certain types' there, especially if some one has a greyhound or a lurcher (lots of rabbits) rather than the Dewent walk that WILL have Timothy, Tabetha and young Tamara and Teddy on their £1k mountain bikes feeling vunerable for no reason.
18 May 2013, 12:34,
(17 May 2013, 22:13)RoadWarrior Wrote: yes mate we are going with the Sunday 9th june date at the location you suggested and will PM you the exact times, code word etc......RW

Have we got a definite date and location for the meet? I am up for it.
[/quote]

No problem. I might be bringing my wife and kids and our adhd Dog. He is small and friendly just a bit stupid. If anyone had a problem with dogs I can leave him at home.
An old scout is full of rescource, that is he can find a way out of any difficulty or discomfort. (Lord Robert Baden Powell)
18 May 2013, 12:52,
I'm a Southerner by location, a female, and a newbie, but I'd really, really like to come. I could get a train and walk it from there, and it would be damn good training for my fat unfit body too.

The last problem is that I don't have my proper walking boots with me - it's a long story, but they're in Cumbria with my sister, and until July I'll have to make do with trainers. I can walk a few miles in those, but if the terrain is very rough over a prolonged stretch then it's probably best if I don't.

I'll totally understand if this combination of hideousness makes you all run for the hills, and a short PM to the effect of 'Bog off' will be quite enough to keep me away from both the thread and the RV. But if any of you feel you could bear it, I promise a) not to hold you up, and b) to match you pint for pint at the pub. I'm just a desperate prepper who's never yet had a chance to meet with other people who won't think she's mad, and would kind of like to take this chance if I can.

Fully expecting to be told to go away, but I thought I'd try anyway.

Louise
18 May 2013, 12:53,
No one is ever going to turn away a new prepper from a NE rendezvous, its not in their or our nature.

18 May 2013, 13:14, (This post was last modified: 18 May 2013, 13:14 by Northumbriman.)
(18 May 2013, 12:52)Little Lou Wrote: I'm a Southerner by location, a female, and a newbie, but I'd really, really like to come. I could get a train and walk it from there, and it would be damn good training for my fat unfit body too.

The last problem is that I don't have my proper walking boots with me - it's a long story, but they're in Cumbria with my sister, and until July I'll have to make do with trainers. I can walk a few miles in those, but if the terrain is very rough over a prolonged stretch then it's probably best if I don't.

I'll totally understand if this combination of hideousness makes you all run for the hills, and a short PM to the effect of 'Bog off' will be quite enough to keep me away from both the thread and the RV. But if any of you feel you could bear it, I promise a) not to hold you up, and b) to match you pint for pint at the pub. I'm just a desperate prepper who's never yet had a chance to meet with other people who won't think she's mad, and would kind of like to take this chance if I can.

Louise
Definitely welcome as far as I am concerned. The walk in mind is easy going and on good paths so no problem for non hiking boots.

(18 May 2013, 12:52)Little Lou Wrote: I'm a Southerner by location, a female, and a newbie, but I'd really, really like to come. I could get a train and walk it from there, and it would be damn good training for my fat unfit body too.

Louise
Definitely welcome as far as I am concerned. The walk in mind is easy going and on good paths so no problem for non hiking boots.
An old scout is full of rescource, that is he can find a way out of any difficulty or discomfort. (Lord Robert Baden Powell)
18 May 2013, 14:04,
More the merrier, where you traveling from?
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have" Thomas Jefferson
18 May 2013, 14:52,
Hi Little Lou, please feel free to come if you want ! its a long way to come !! this is only gonna be my 2nd meet up, I just wanna have some craic and share my ideas too, im not looking to form a post event group.....just preppers that I hope to meet up with every 2/3 months for a pint/walk...or probs walk/pint..maybe swap bits of surplus kit etc. Im easy for location as long as we go on that sunday as I unfortunately work bloody shifts....and also on the afternoon with a window of around 4 hours . also cameras...! there everywhere we know but I wanted to bring some bits n pieces to show you....not really weapons ...but wud look sus if I started unloading stuff on a sheet of tarp in the pub car park....also Northumbriman bring your family if you want, this is an informal affair....all welcome etc ..cheers RW
18 May 2013, 23:18,
Thank you so much to everyone - you're all really kind and welcoming.

Unfortunately it's now become academic, as I see belatedly that June 9th is a Sunday which really b*ggers me for trains. The best station is Chester-le-Street, and the earliest I could get in would be after 2pm, while there wouldn't be a train back until Monday morning. I tried Dunston too, but that doesn't seem to offer a route at all.
I've looked at campsites for an overnight stay (there are two near Rowland's Gill), but that would mean an eight mile hike with full BOL as well as a proper tent before I even made it to the rv. Even for the sake of meeting other preppers I think that might be pushing it. There's getting fit, and there's dropping dead, and I know which one I'm aiming for.

So unless I've missed a devastatingly obvious solution (always likely) then I'm afraid that's me out. Sorry to have wasted everyone's time like this.

Never mind - my own fault for considering something so far afield. But if you ever do another one on a different day I'd be totally up for it. This location is particularly good for me, as I had a cunning plan to sneak in a visit to the Bowes Railway, which would be legitimate research for my next book - and thus make the whole train fare tax deductible.

I hope you all have a really great time - and expect to see pictures on your return.

Louise
19 May 2013, 09:14,
The Tanfield Railway and Causy Arch is far more interesting if yu are interested in pre grouping railways, and of course the NRM at Shildon, theres plenty of places to stay up here and you could probably come up on a sat using DHM sta and its excellent bus network, I'd bet one of RW mob would be able to pick you up.

19 May 2013, 09:27, (This post was last modified: 19 May 2013, 09:32 by RoadWarrior.)
don't sweat it LL, your intentions were good, Sunday was to fit in with other peoples work etc, NR I actually thought about Causey arch/Tanfield railway !! its great wandering round the old rusty trains outside .....a deffo post apoco feel IMO....but thought of somewhere easier to get to like the Angel area. also im sure I cud drive by Casa del Raider....on the way to this RV ?Wink

Also LL, if your a "southerner by location" how far from the Watford gap are you .....roughly....and do you mean your a northern lass ?Big Grin
just curious as for members in the North or south tribes !! lol