Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Surprise Super Food Prep Knife
15 May 2013, 15:40,
Surprise Super Food Prep Knife
Hello everyone

Just a really quick post about something that genuinely impressed me in regard to knives!

As some of you know, I love to cook healthy food. As a result, I have a bit of a girly love, which is buying high quality cooking equipment. I love my Denby (Denby Dale) dutch oven. I love my Oxo Good Grip range of tongs. I have a craving for more lint free micro fibre towels. Next month I'm getting a £40 garlic press (It's so worth it, I promise!!! haha). I'm also looking at getting a £65 pepper grinder...I love the one I've got, but it's highly recommended by a friend, so I might just have to give it a go.

For breakfast today I had gazpacho and roast garlic soup, and a protein shake haha. Yes I roasted my own garlic and made my own gazpacho (cold tomato soup, incase you were wondering).

I love food and cooking. What does all of this have to do with prepping?

Well, I have been trying out various knives for what would be best for chopping up food, and prepping meat. Aside from the meat cleaver style knives, many of which are brilliant for most jobs, I found a need for a smaller knife for finer detail work. There were so many more things that I needed to do that I wasn't able to do with a cleaver.

Calling in the Kuhn Rikon Paring Knife!

I love Kuhn Rikon cooking gear, so thought I was going to be a bit bias. With that in mind, I decided I was going to try and hate the knife. I got it from Home Sense, for £4.50, I think (I was looking for stainless steel mixing bowls to make sauerkraut, and came across the knife section...what are the odds hu?).

I got this little beauty (and the mixing bowls....great success!!!) and took it home. I've been chopping all sorts with this, and I can genuinely say, this is as sharp as a razor. A doctor could perform surgery with it, it's that good a blade. On the recent camping weekend in South Wales, that Beardy organised, I handed a knife to SD to use and said it was the sharpest knife I've ever known. Later that knife smoothly sliced through my snowboarding waterproof without any effort....total accident, and I'm not please it happened. Well, this Kuhn Rikon is easily as sharp as the Boker I lent to SD.

Not only that, but it's VERY easy to use and clean. Ergonomic design, great construction and materials used! For me, this is a perfect knife....for it's purposes! Please bare that in mind...for it's purposes.

The weight of the knife is minimal, and is thus an easy adage to any pack you have. Ideal for camping or anything else outdoorsy.

But, back to the....for it's purposes, comment.

The knife comes with an easy storage sheath, to keep the blade nice and sharp, which is always a bonus. It's strong plastic, and very good fitting!

This is not a knife you would split wood with. It's not a primary tool that you'd use for heavy duty work! FAR from it!!!

This is, however, the knife that you'd use for skinning an animal. For chopping fruit and veg. It makes short work of everything I've put it against, including steak, peppers, strawberries, and almonds. I know those listed don't seem too impressive, but I don't know many knives that can chop an almond cleanly, and be able to slice steak. Then from strong enough to divide steak to being smooth enough to cut strawberries, without making them into some kind of pulp!

Whether for us in kitchen cooking, or wilderness cooking, I really do recommend getting a Kuhn Rikon paring knife.

http://bettersalesweb959.webs.com/apps/b...d=24276165

For me, and for it's uses with food, this gets a MASSIVE 5* rating!!!
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
15 May 2013, 16:51,
RE: Surprise Super Food Prep Knife
sounds brilliant S13, shame there isn't one near me
Do not rush to meet Death, he may not wish to see you.
16 May 2013, 23:33, (This post was last modified: 16 May 2013, 23:37 by Scythe13.)
RE: Surprise Super Food Prep Knife
(15 May 2013, 16:51)preservefreak Wrote: sounds brilliant S13, shame there isn't one near me

You can get them online cheaply. Only about £6 including postGe. John Lewis sells them, I think.

I forgot to mention this.

Yesterday my wife decided to use MY cooking equipment.

What can I say, she appreciates my prepping and readily available first aid kits. Her words were "That knife is stupidly sharp. No human needs a knife that sharp!"

It's not my fault is went smoothly through her thumb flesh.

This knife is a beast!
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin