Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trapping
11 April 2013, 01:40,
RE: Trapping
[attachment=176]

this is an interesting pdf file regarding trapping pigeons. trap looks easy enough to make. i know there is a thread for this but for some reason i cant add attachments there.
in the thread some express concerns about pigeons carrying diseases. the following i picked up from a website of a firm that catches pigeons commercially, so you'd think they really want to scare people. as always, each to his/her own.

Health-Related Problems

The most common problem associated with feral pigeons nesting in buildings is bird mites invading the human occupied space during or after the nesting season. Bird mites, like northern fowl mite and tropical fowl mite, will bite humans and cause a small pustule, similar to a chigger bite. Pigeons are also important reservoirs and vectors of reintroduction of fowl mites into previously treated poultry houses. Pigeon nests canalso be a source of stick-tight fleas, soft ticks, bed bugs, and dermestid (carpet) beetles invading buildings.

Pigeons have been long associated with disease organisms transmissible to humans and livestock. These include: 13 bacterial diseases including salmonellosis ( Salmonella food poisoning), fowl typhoid, paratyphoid, pasteurellosis , streptococcosis , and tuberculosis ; five fungal diseases including aspergillosis, blastomycosis and histoplasmosis ; six protozoan diseases including toxoplasmosis and coccidiosis; chlamydiosis ; the rickettsial disease Q Fever; eight viral diseases including eastern equine and St. Louis encephalitis, Newcastle disease and fowl pox of poultry; the tapeworms in the genus Taenia, Davainea proglottina, and Railletina tetragona ; four genera of parasitic nematodes of poultry including Tetramares (2 sp.), Capillaria (5 sp.), and Acuaria spiralis ; and 14 parasitic flukes of poultry, livestock, and humans.

Pigeons are generally a more serious disease vector to livestock, especially poultry and egg producers, and wildlife than to humans. Still, the presence of pigeons where food is prepared or people eat-such as picnic areas and outdoor restaurants-should be a cause for concern about the spread of Salmonella bacteria.
13 April 2013, 02:36,
I find this a really difficult area to reconcile. Although I never say never and accept there are advantages to trapping in some circumstances I have major issues with it. First thing is that its so indiscriminate. You set a trap to catch a rabbit only to find you caught a hedgehog or badger using the rabbit run as a shortcut. Another issue is that there are way too many domestic animals out there to be certain you won't catch someones pet unless you are in a really remote area. Then there is the legal issue to overcome. I am not averse to ignoring or bending pointless laws but trapping laws were introduced to the uk to protect not to prevent.

Fish traps and baited lines no problem, but I can foresee little that can be gained from trapping in the uk. In current conditions hunting will get a better return to effort.
An old scout is full of rescource, that is he can find a way out of any difficulty or discomfort. (Lord Robert Baden Powell)
13 April 2013, 12:50,
the good thing about the box type trap is it does no harm to the animal. I have caught some cats, just opened the door and released unharmed. One reason i had the trap set was trying to catch multiple racoons that had taken up residence INSIDE the structure of our residence. They cause a lot of damage and stay up all night fighting. I released the animals in a wilderness area. Currently I have trap set to catch whatever has been munching on the garden at night. yesterday there were 2 birds caught. released unharmed.
PSHTF trapping some believe may be more efficient than hunting. One could have dozens or more of traps set within a very small radius (birds,fish,mammals). These traps are working 24/7 even when the owner is hunting.They arent mutually exclusive. Hunting normally requires covering more distance and thus burning more calories, maybe more calories than the food gained. Trapping can also be used for larger animals such as deer, wolves,etc.
Personally I like to have multiple options for procuring food available PSHTF, the more the better. to each his/her own
13 April 2013, 21:34,
(13 April 2013, 02:36)Northumbriman Wrote: I find this a really difficult area to reconcile. Although I never say never and accept there are advantages to trapping in some circumstances I have major issues with it. First thing is that its so indiscriminate. You set a trap to catch a rabbit only to find you caught a hedgehog or badger using the rabbit run as a shortcut. Another issue is that there are way too many domestic animals out there to be certain you won't catch someones pet unless you are in a really remote area. Then there is the legal issue to overcome. I am not averse to ignoring or bending pointless laws but trapping laws were introduced to the uk to protect not to prevent.

Well remember that we are really talking about after the shtf,.. although we do all need to practice these skills from time to time

I guess this comes down to two things, the location in which you are planning to trap,..and the `woodsman` in you

To trap a rabbit,... well rabbits use the same area as cats do, but cats dont always go where rabbits go,.. for instance you could try trapping a rabbit right outside its burrow,.. to the best of my knowledge I have never heard of a cat in a rabbit warren,... and of course you can also trap out of town where the risk of cats are minimum

A used rabbit run, is usually well used and so the ground over which the rabbits run is soft,.. you should be able to see tracks in the soft ground,.. if you only see rabbit tracks, then you should be fairly certain that cats dont use that same path
A major part of survival is invisibility.
14 April 2013, 14:48,
it is in fact possible to snare a wild boar.
he never planned to fail, he just failed to plan. like lambs to the slaughter the wolfs look down from the hill tops. we are those wolfs!!!
16 May 2013, 23:52,
I came across this wee article recently. It was within the last couple of weeks, so it was probably posted by someone in the Forum in another thread! Smile Anyway, the design should ease any worries over the wrong or domestic, animals being damaged.

http://www.thehuntinglife.com/breakaway-rabbit-snare/