Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shelters
15 May 2013, 23:46,
RE: Shelters
(15 May 2013, 23:25)Highlander Wrote:
(15 May 2013, 23:05)Anything Really Wrote: If you can choose only one form of shelter what would it be?

I'm yet to buy one for my BOB so I'm very interested in your views.

For emergency, light weight, and versatility, you cant beat something like this, you can create so many different types of shelters with it depending on the weather, and what you have around you, i.e. trees, banks, walls etc, you can even just roll up in it, use it to keep other things dry, hell you can even make a boat from it, or at least a floatation devise

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mil-Com-DPM-Mi...35bfa76d3c

I'd still carry my tent but I agree, a tarp is a very versatile item to have with you, and doesn't take much space or weight.
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.
16 May 2013, 00:30,
(15 May 2013, 21:13)Tarrel Wrote: Vaude Taurus Ultralight. 1.8 kg and packs down to the size of a can of beans plus the poles. Goes up in 2 mins. Good headroom. Could get two in at a pinch.

Just watched a video of a German guy setting one out. It looked as though (I'm probably wrong here...) it needed a separate groundsheet. I also wouldn't like to try erecting that in anything over a Force 2 - his looked as though it would have disappeared!.

The best lightweight I ever owned was a Peapod by Mountain Equipment. I expect they've long since done away with them but the inner had a fitted groundsheet, was detachable from the fly (if you wanted to, I always left it attached except for drying/airing once home,) and as a unit, could be put up in about two minutes. Fix two rear pegs on shockcord loops (then it's going nowhere, no matter what the wind's doing), stick in two hoops (small at the rear, larger at the front), then two more pegs on shockcord at the front. Job done. It could be further secured with pegs around the base and on two guys but I seldom bothered, other than the four corners.

Used that thing in a Force 10 and while it was an uncomfortable night (the hoops would bend right down on top of you!), it wouldn't go anywhere, as long as the arse-end was into the wind, while many others (Vango Force 10's!) were lost in the distance. Can't remember for the life of me what the packed weight was but I'm sure it was less than 1.5kg, (rucksack weight was something of a competition in those days! Smile) and was about 18" long by 6 or 7" diameter at the most. (Hope that's not just rose-tinted memories! Smile)

If I saw one now in good nick, I'd buy it in a flash - not that I can use one anymore - but for my son or granddaughters. I've honestly never come across better and I've been around a few.

(Hell's teeth! That was a whole lot more rabbiting than I intended... Big Grin)

16 May 2013, 01:30,
58Patt Poncho(in rainy season) + IR Tarp + Bivi bag.

versatile in that maybe only 2 carried depending on conditions & plan.
"How far back in time do you think our future will be?"
16 May 2013, 05:30,
if i could only carry one, i would take the tarp + basha route, more versatile, and quicker for overnight stops. tent is better if your staying in place for a few days though. A lot of camp sites, tend to disapprove of people digging holes and roofing them with tarps, and wood.
16 May 2013, 12:01,
In a SHTF situation I think the tarp would be a better route. A bit less visable. Cheers all.
16 May 2013, 13:35,
(16 May 2013, 00:30)Grumpy Grandpa Wrote:
(15 May 2013, 21:13)Tarrel Wrote: Vaude Taurus Ultralight. 1.8 kg and packs down to the size of a can of beans plus the poles. Goes up in 2 mins. Good headroom. Could get two in at a pinch.

Just watched a video of a German guy setting one out. It looked as though (I'm probably wrong here...) it needed a separate groundsheet. I also wouldn't like to try erecting that in anything over a Force 2 - his looked as though it would have disappeared!.

The best lightweight I ever owned was a Peapod by Mountain Equipment. I expect they've long since done away with them but the inner had a fitted groundsheet, was detachable from the fly (if you wanted to, I always left it attached except for drying/airing once home,) and as a unit, could be put up in about two minutes. Fix two rear pegs on shockcord loops (then it's going nowhere, no matter what the wind's doing), stick in two hoops (small at the rear, larger at the front), then two more pegs on shockcord at the front. Job done. It could be further secured with pegs around the base and on two guys but I seldom bothered, other than the four corners.

Used that thing in a Force 10 and while it was an uncomfortable night (the hoops would bend right down on top of you!), it wouldn't go anywhere, as long as the arse-end was into the wind, while many others (Vango Force 10's!) were lost in the distance. Can't remember for the life of me what the packed weight was but I'm sure it was less than 1.5kg, (rucksack weight was something of a competition in those days! Smile) and was about 18" long by 6 or 7" diameter at the most. (Hope that's not just rose-tinted memories! Smile)

If I saw one now in good nick, I'd buy it in a flash - not that I can use one anymore - but for my son or granddaughters. I've honestly never come across better and I've been around a few.

(Hell's teeth! That was a whole lot more rabbiting than I intended... Big Grin)

It has a separate Inner (obviously with groundsheet attached), but you can pitch it "as one" (or outer-first if you wish). No problem putting it up in strong winds. One peg to hold the back end down while you put the two poles in, then peg down either end of the "hoop" and it's secure.
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.
16 May 2013, 17:06,
Are we talking about shelter for a bug out scenario or a little weekend backpacking trip?

There is a difference.
16 May 2013, 18:14,
shelter for me would be more about shelter over night in between locations

such as me walking home from work and I'll be looking at the tarp option first but it is useful to know about other shelters
16 May 2013, 21:47,
(16 May 2013, 17:06)Mortblanc Wrote: Are we talking about shelter for a bug out scenario or a little weekend backpacking trip?

There is a difference.

I am talking emergency shelters, one night only,... maybe for more than one night until your destination has been reached,..and before any sort of permanent shelter can be made

Having said that, many emergency shelters, i.e. teepee type shelters using three main poles and smaller ones tied in can be both a very fast emergency shelter, but with some more work dont to it can be turned into something that could last for years, if made big enough
A major part of survival is invisibility.
17 May 2013, 23:09,
While out walking the dogs today, [my day off],.. I was thinking about this thread, and as I had a camera with me, thought I would make an emergency shelter, a one night shelter, for `that` emergency

I gave myself 45 mins

First I found a good spread of natural branches

[Image: _5170216_zps1255c1b3.jpg]

Made a framework and started to lay wood against the sides

[Image: _5170221_zpsce2264d4.jpg]
[Image: _5170223_zpsae8e4739.jpg]
[Image: _5170221_zpsce2264d4.jpg]

Started to add Heather and moss,

[Image: _5170227_zpsb91d2b2c.jpg]
[Image: _5170230_zps2241f299.jpg]

I have left the job half finished to show how I did it, but clearly to complete the job you need to fill in all the holes,... inside there is plenty of room showed here by my dog Sam,... put in plenty of moss to keep you off the ground, and Bobs your uncle

[Image: _5170235_zps1a50cc0f.jpg]
A major part of survival is invisibility.