Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shelters
18 May 2013, 08:39,
RE: Shelters
(15 May 2013, 23:05)Anything Really Wrote: If you can choose only one form of shelter what would it be?

I'm yet to buy one for my BOB so I'm very interested in your views.

Gore-tex bivvie bag in DPM

21 May 2013, 22:06,
I would only use a tent if I really needed to. Would rather stop early and set up a lean to or wigwam. I always found that even camo tents are too easily spotted. I am big in staying invisible.
21 May 2013, 23:14,
If we are speaking of a "bug out situation" where one is in danger, I want no tent.

The last thing you want in the world is to fall sound asleep inside a closed shelter. It's sure death if you are found, unless you are with a group and guards are set out.

In the Army I carried a poncho and quilted liner, rolled up in them and usually leaned against a tree or down in a well dug hole to catch a few winks if it was possible on patrols.

After 30 years of civilian use I wore out the poncho and replaced it with a silon tarp.

Even backpacking I do not carry a tent, especially when in bear country. I don't want them sneaking up on me and batting me and a zipped up tent down the hill into a gully.

For general car camping they are fine, take your pick, there are hundreds of good ones out there at fair prices.
22 May 2013, 11:26,
I fancy one of those tepee type tents with one pole made out of 2 button together ponchos, sort of dual use.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
23 May 2013, 00:12,
For an overnight or bug out scenario, IMO it would be wise to have a type of shelter that could be carried on foot with the rest of your gear if necessary.
"How far back in time do you think our future will be?"
23 May 2013, 09:13,
I've got a good warm bag but she doesnt like camping Smile