Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
s h t f stress
16 May 2013, 19:46,
RE: s h t f stress
We adapt. Simple as that. Not that long ago the kids could go out. Now we can't take our eyes off them. We adapted to that.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
16 May 2013, 20:41,
This is something I was talking to SD about, only 1 or 2 days ago. Was going to boost up a big thread on it, but this seems as good a time as any, so here goes.

Post SHTF, as we all know, the way people live their lives will change dramatically! No going outside without checking escape routes, packing a weapon, waiting for dark, etc. This isn't an ideal way to live. Infact, it will be downright miserable for most people.

I've brought up the idea of TSHTF at some dinner parties and conversation is seldom presented without someone saying "I think I'd rather kill myself." met with frequent humms and nods of agreement, with the occassional "Yes, me too."

With that in mind, I began to wonder whether I'd be able to cope. Considering my high pressure jobs, and outdoors experiences, I do think I'd be alright...at least for a few months.

But then I think, I left my last job and started this one when my dad passed away, and I couldn't cope with it. I believed I was ready for him to pass. We all knew it was happening. We had warning enough. But it still devestated my world when it happened. The meaning for this isn't a heart to heart online, it's totally the opposite. No matter how ready you are for something, there's no telling how you'll really react.

Post SHTF, I believe that if I were to lose my wife, I'd sink harder than when dad passed. So whose to know how bad that would be?!?!

This trail of optimistic thinking came to one conclusion, it'd probably be worth stocking up on anti-depressants and anti-anxiety remedies and medication, if and when available. No because I believe it would be needed. But because it MIGHT be required.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
16 May 2013, 21:19, (This post was last modified: 16 May 2013, 21:21 by Highlander.)
The art to dealing with stress is to try and live as normal a live as you can, as often as you can,... I would like to give an example that is about as close to post shtf as its possible to get, that I and others had to live through

When in Northern Ireland I spent time in a woolen mill, some might even know it, it was called Flax street Mill, which is on Crumlin road, right on the edge of the Ardoyne.

We used to have to wear bullet proof jackets to watch telly in, to eat our meals to relax in,.. the only place we didnt have to wear a bullet proof jacket was in bed.... honest

When we went out, we went out in a very simular way to how many of us would venture out after tshtf,.. so the situation is quiet simular.

We simply lived those four months as best we could, when we heard a bullet hit the sandbags [ where there was once windows,.. we joked about watching the western in 3D sound,... when we heard an RPG7 going off, we sung, `one more brick in the wall`

What I am trying to say,.. when the time comes, if it comes, try not to dwell on it too much as SD says learn to adjust, and before long a new way of life starts to develop,.. but in order for that to happen you will still require one element,... humor
A major part of survival is invisibility.
16 May 2013, 22:56, (This post was last modified: 16 May 2013, 22:59 by Grumpy Grandpa.)
Humour - always the squaddies' number one fall back position. (I remember the mill - went there a few times in a Saracen.) Same thing, I recall, when 6 toms slept under a Scammell recovery truck in the field, rather than bothering to put up bashas and it sank into the soft ground during the night, killing them. Then, it was, 'those guys that got Scammell rash'. I understand what you're saying - the coping mechanism there is laugh or you might cry.

I understand what S13's saying too. When disability hit me, I went from fit and active, climbing and canoeing, to a wheelchair and a hospital bed in the front room - my walls caved in. That was 7 tears ago and I'm only just climbing out of the depression.

A stock of anti-depressant and ant-anxiety meds would be no bad thing - I plan on growing them - herbal (or other) meds will help some but each of us will have to find our own ways to cope and adjust. Those that don't, will be gonners...

I imagine the skill of hard-targeting in and out of a home location will be no bad thing to have...

16 May 2013, 23:01,
Have an achievable goal. So long as you have one, you will be able to brush off, laugh about or ignore the bad.
16 May 2013, 23:56,
(16 May 2013, 23:01)BDG Wrote: Have an achievable goal. So long as you have one, you will be able to brush off, laugh about or ignore the bad.

Much easier said than done...

17 May 2013, 09:35,
But lets not be too downbeat. The will to survive is an amazing force, history is full of amazing feats of survival. If your preperations work out you will have a massive advantage over the general population.

Smile - its only the end of the world!!
17 May 2013, 15:32,
I don't think I've ever been in a stressful situation ( apart from my second divorce and that a whole different story), I've always been an optimist, a "glass half full" kind of person, i'm more likely to cry when my dog eventually dies than when my parents passed away.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
17 May 2013, 19:40,
agree with what BP said. Take it one day at a time. Don't worry about next week and all the what if scenarios, just survive today. Its like what recovering addicts do: don't think about not having a drink/drugs for the rest of your life, just focus on not having it today.
Secondly try to keep everyone busy doing something. If we sit around thinking of how bad things are, it will make it worse.

As it seems most of the folks on here are of the more mature variety, think back to all the ups and downs in your life. Did worrying help? Did the bad times last forever? In times of stress I like to repeat to myself the phrase: " This too shall pass."
17 May 2013, 19:55,
I watched one of those US prepper shows when visiting a neighbour and we got into a discussion on what we'd do in the worst case happened and I was surprised by the answer....which was "we'd be alright here we'd look after each other"

And he was right I live in what was a was once a nunnery made into a small housing area, but had always made prepping plans just for myself, but he's right....most of my neighbours are either in my Rugby team or fight with my martial arts club (with the odd poets here and there for culture) and we've always been a close community and have always been there for each other, from buying food for the old folks when it snows over to doing charity fundraising events together.

Just because things go bad doesn't mean everyone is going to turn feral and many communities may even get stronger because of it....Sometimes it only takes the bucket being kicked over to get everyone to work together to clean it up.