Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Part of the Bug in or Bug out conundrum
17 May 2013, 08:50,

©NR

In the UK many of us have already done the math and decided that Bugging in makes more sense tactically and logistically than Bugging out, it’s not like we live on Tristan Da Cuhna or Saint Helena islands and simply have no choice about leaving in a hurry if TSHTF. In our case it tends to be a combination of geography, population demographics, politics and economics and of course family ties that affects our choices.

I still remember the reports that came out after the Hurricane Andrew and Hurricane Katrina of well organised preppers in the US still getting stuck in slow moving traffic on clogged roads from freeways to backwoods paths running out of fuel after crawling along in first gear for over 14 hours.

But there are plenty of other all too common examples that could bugger up our bug out plans

Anyway I thought I would take a brief look at what sort of thing could prevent us from actually bugging out especially by vehicle but in general by using the highway system.

First of all you’re BOV simply not starting (EMP to mechanical failure)

Then your BOV breaking down shortly after bugging out (frame failure on a bike to a blown engine)

The roads being closed by the authorities

The roads being clogged solid by refugees

The roads being flooded

The road being snowed under

Landslip

Subsidence

Fallen trees

Radiological fallout

High strong winds affecting your loaded vehicles stability

Roads taken over by military for priority traffic

Collapsed buildings or walls

Abandoned vehicles

Roadblocks by troops or nasty people

Roads clogged with holiday traffic

Roads clogged by commuters

Wild Fire and smoke closing route

Roads clogged by masses attending large public events

Bridges and overpasses being blown up or dropped onto the road

Not enough fuel set aside and you exhaust your supply crawling in slow moving traffic

Road traffic accidents

Railway crossing barriers locked down

Nasty people shooting at anyone passing by

Canal locks closed off

Section of canal closed or drained

Cycle routes deliberately blocked

Those examples are just off the top of my head and all need to be seriously considered in your plans if you are adamant that bugging out is still your primary response to an incident.

Just another bit of food for thought

NR
17 May 2013, 10:02,
RE: Part of the Bug in or Bug out conundrum
Looking at this I still think walking is the best option. I don't mean on the roads but cross country. However, in a country surrounded by water perhaps a boat would be the best option. That means any BOL needs to be coastal or on a river.
17 May 2013, 14:33,
I definitely expect the roads to become clogged.
On a any average Friday afternoon after 3 PM the streets near my home always get clogged and it happens really quickly. Sometimes in the space of 10 to 15 minutes.
My bug out plan therefore involves a lot of walking and staying off the roads but using them to plot my route out.
Prepper Kid: when will the sheeple wake up to the reality?
Prepper Parent: When it is too late to begin prepping for it.
17 May 2013, 19:25,
I think you have hit the nail on the head here ! i really dont know how far people think they will get, these little already overcrowded roads will be clogged in seconds (try a bug out situation during a school run and times it by 100 !) in any event the areas that are rural are so far and few with limited natural food source that surely cant maintain mass hunting. Sure a family can up root and walk, safety in such a situation though ?? i can reach the south downs in 15 mins on a normal day but then so can every other bugger here lol. I have 2 plans of action which i consider are evacuation under only the most extreme conditions. The only serious means to bug out i'd consider is a well stocked decent sized sea going boat and that idea is pending on a lottery win lol.
Return to old watering holes for more than water; friends and dreams are there to meet you.
17 May 2013, 19:31,
(17 May 2013, 19:25)Preppergirl Wrote: in any event the areas that are rural are so far and few with limited natural food source that surely cant maintain mass hunting.

thank you! the more people that think like this the safer I will be!TongueAngel
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
17 May 2013, 19:37,
I agree, bug in with all the home comforts, it took years to get my armchair just right and I don't intend giving it up just because of an apocalypse.

I do recommend a bug in room (If Possible) in case to have to hide from scavengers... which can be easily hidden behind a book case or special built panel such as a cellar or some houses have those large dressing rooms just off the bedroom which is really a walk in closet which with some handy wood work can be a wardrobe with walk in hidden room behind.

also unused fire places can be converted into a great secret compartment for food and stores etc.
17 May 2013, 20:12,
My plan is to bug in.Where I am is rural and away from the city,i'm pretty tucked in where I am and I have my allotment which is within spitting distance of me.There's a river nearby and lots of woodland which will give me access to game.I do have my mountain bike and van handy,along with a bug out bag but for the time being bugging in seems to offer the best chance,at least in the short to medium term.