Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Domestic emergency repair preps list
17 May 2013, 08:51,
Domestic emergency repair preps list
Domestic emergency repair preps list .
© NR 2013

One issue we often ignore is the security, repair and maintenance of our homes after TSHTF, our homes are very often the ONLY really practical place we can live during and after an event and of course emotionally and psychologically we also have close bonds to our homes. These bonds of familiarity and continuity will be much needed in the aftermath of a major event or social collapse so we need to be able to keep the basic infrastructure of our homes intact without call to contract tradesmen who simply won’t be around after the crunch.

So I think it’s time we addressed what sort of tools and supplies we need to consider keeping incase our homes are damaged during the disaster that befalls us.

For example it’s an absolute must we keep enough basic hand tools around to be able to tend our veg gardens, keep our gutters cleaned, unblock clogged drains, repair damaged doors, windows and internal fittings, deal with water leaks, gas leaks, blown fuses and circuit breakers etcetera.

So a good basic tool kit is a must that contains the usual essentials

Hammer claw
Hammer 4lb
Pry bar and or Crowbar
Pliers long nosed
Pliers Blunt
Screwdriver 5 mm flat
Screwdriver 3 mm flat
Selection of insulated screwdrivers
Large bench screwdriver
Philips / Posi-drive Screwdriver no’s 1 ,2 ,3
Mole grips
Cold chisel
Wood chisels
G Clamps
Adjustable spanner
Tap Spanner
Water shutoff key
Stanley knife (plus 10 blades)
Craft knife (plus 10 blades)
Nail puller / lifter
Set Allan keys
Set Torx keys
Cable stripper
Cable snips
Wood files
Metal files
Centre punch
Wire brush
Flat scraper
Junior hacksaw plus wood and metal blades

Above are just the basic essentials you can add other useful tools and items as you see fit.

If you decide to buy some cordless rechargeable power tools please ensure you have some suitable off grid method of recharging them otherwise they will only be expensive ornaments when the batteries go flat after TSHTF.

Other highly rated essential tools should be

Border Spade
Border fork
Rake
Hatchet and Axe
Log splitting wedge
Sledge hammer
Garden hose
Syphon for pumping water or fuel
Wood saw
Pruning shears / secateurs
Hedge shears
Hand trowel
Medium sweeping brush
Window cleaning squeegee wiper
Portable vice 3 inch
Ladders
Drain Rods
Multi meter
Solar / rechargeable flashlights
Roll HD Green garden waste / rubble bags
Roll 100 Black bin bags
Roll garden green tie back wire
Chimney sweep brushes (if you have wood / coal burner)
Barrow or 4 wheeled cart
Bow saw plus spare blades
Solar rechargeable garden lights
Sealant gun
Snow shovel

Materials list (suggested)

Boxes of assorted passivated or coated wood screws
Box assorted nails from 25mm to 100mm
Box assorted rawl plugs (shelves, cupboards etc)
Box assorted rawl bolts (refitting door frames, windows or Heavy duty fittings)
Box assorted metric nuts and bolts
Hose clips
Assorted Cable Ties
O rings
Fuses / Circuit breakers
Spare Light Bulbs
Spare tap washers
4 in diameter Fence posts 1.8 meter
4 in Hammer in fencing Met posts
Two by one PSE timber 8 ft lengths pack of 10
Four by two PSE timber 8 ft lengths pack of 10
Eight by four boards of ½ marine grade plywood
Eight by four HD waterproof tarpaulins
Coil of polypropylene rope
100 meters of paracord
Weedkiller
Insecticide
Wasp killer
Slug killer
Roll of chicken wire / U nails (if planning on keeping rabbits or chooks)
Tubes of silicone and mastic sealants
Rolls of duct tape
Insulating tape
Gas proof PTFE tape
Double sided tape
Large sheets of UV stabilised clear plastic sheeting (temp window covers)
Sealed 5kg bag of ready mixed mortar cement.

Nice extras

Hand cranked winch
Hydraulic Log Splitter
Portable work bench
Trolley jack
Block and tackle

Please remember this is only a basic kit and its designed around my own specific needs, your own home may have a different layout or structure thus requiring different materials.
NR
17 May 2013, 08:59,
RE: Domestic emergency repair preps list
As far as I can see, no mention of a drill?

Granted an electric drill may turn useless, but a hand-cranked-drill will be SUPER helpful for so many jobs. Also helps keep you entertained if you pretend it's a speed camera gun thing! haha
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
17 May 2013, 19:30,
NR you're back!

All that stuff sounds like the contents of our garage! Add all the gardening accessories and horse bits and bobs and you've got it!
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
26 April 2015, 19:17, (This post was last modified: 26 April 2015, 19:20 by Straight Shooter.)
NR lives.....good sound advice lasts the test of time !

oh and a drill for S13.....who also lives on !
28 April 2015, 09:33,
My other half is unable to understand my enthusiasm for 'collecting' tools and associated stuff.
Have to say that I have been doing it ever since I started to pay my own way.
Super list.
29 April 2015, 00:06,
I have caught NR out at last........he has failed miserably .....................................only a bloody Geordie could miss this.......................what about ?..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................a packet of Wine gums.....you stupid twat ! most important...you know how they make you concentrate....the more you chew the more intense flavour release ...i actually double chew for a bigger high...the trouble is you need more of the buggers...to counter this post shtf i intend to remove my dentures...yea i know....SS your flashing nodes of thought are priceless and inspirational...that welsh bastard got me in the end ...how could i forget wine gums....fuck i can never return to SUK ever again.....and that spiteful bastard will keep re posting old threads of mine ...even worse claim all the credit......then some gargled Geordie stuff i cannot translate .
29 April 2015, 18:05,
Someone closer in global distance than myself needs to do a welfare check on SS!

Someone, anyone, go check and see that he is OK.
29 April 2015, 20:45, (This post was last modified: 29 April 2015, 21:07 by Straight Shooter.)
I,m okay MB ....it was an attempt to cunningly get NR to come back on and keep you in check buddy....its hard to get the humour for you yanks over there...its what we do over here a lot ...take the piss ...but in a good hearted way.... especially NR only being Half WELSH ....it must be a terrible burden for him wanting so much to be like me...WELSH first class.

um your move MB.....have you ever considered the use of laughing gas ...small amounts even...just to start...FOR THE BENEFIT OF USA readers this is a joke...please can someone check up for me that Mort does actually laugh now and then. also a joke !
30 April 2015, 13:27,
(29 April 2015, 20:45)Straight Shooter Wrote: ....it was an attempt to cunningly get NR to come back.

you've got more chance of raising the dead SS, even I cant get hold of NR.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
30 April 2015, 14:02,
If you're after NR, he comments regularly on posts on the main site. His last comment was around 1030am this morning.