Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
But would you?
23 May 2013, 19:08, (This post was last modified: 23 May 2013, 19:10 by NorthernRaider.)
RE: But would you?
(23 May 2013, 15:50)Steve Wrote:
(23 May 2013, 12:58)NorthernRaider Wrote: That leave the legally held guns in locked cabinets our of useful reach when they are most needed, thats where it leaves them. A gun like any other survival tool is only useful if you have it when you need it.
Locked away at home or at the club means its just another ornament.

And how long do you think it would take the average gun owner to get his safe open ?

Quite a while if your getting the snot kicked out of you in the highstreet !!!!

(23 May 2013, 18:55)Steve Wrote:
(23 May 2013, 16:45)Mortblanc Wrote: From where I set at the computer it just took me 67 seconds to get the safe open and the shotgun loaded and back to the computer.

That's plenty of time to get the door kicked in and you killed!

But if TSHTF and looters were in your town would you still have had it in the safe ?

That is AFTER tshtf, this debate is still talking about how we would like to law to be as it is now, before TSHTF Smile sorry for any confusion.

23 May 2013, 20:39,
(23 May 2013, 19:08)NorthernRaider Wrote: That is AFTER tshtf, this debate is still talking about how we would like to law to be as it is now, before TSHTF Smile sorry for any confusion.

I missed that Undecided.

So, in fantasy gunland, a Beretta semi-auto 12g with 24" barrel and extended mag capacity ( at least 8 shots), a mixture of 32g no6 shot for game and 50g AAA cartridges for larger quarry.

Sidearm, S&W 686, .357, stainless steel, 6" barrel for the wife, and for me a CZ75 9mm semi-auto.

Long arm, Remington 700 in .308, synthetic stock, harris bipod, S&B 8x56 scope.
23 May 2013, 21:16,
I'd still stick with a good 22LR carbine it does all I want from Rabbits to Shop Stewards Smile

23 May 2013, 23:19, (This post was last modified: 23 May 2013, 23:36 by Mortblanc.)
(23 May 2013, 19:08)NorthernRaider Wrote:
(23 May 2013, 15:50)Steve Wrote:
(23 May 2013, 12:58)NorthernRaider Wrote: That leave the legally held guns in locked cabinets our of useful reach when they are most needed, thats where it leaves them. A gun like any other survival tool is only useful if you have it when you need it.
Locked away at home or at the club means its just another ornament.

And how long do you think it would take the average gun owner to get his safe open ?

Quite a while if your getting the snot kicked out of you in the highstreet !!!!

(23 May 2013, 18:55)Steve Wrote:
(23 May 2013, 16:45)Mortblanc Wrote: From where I set at the computer it just took me 67 seconds to get the safe open and the shotgun loaded and back to the computer.

That's plenty of time to get the door kicked in and you killed!

But if TSHTF and looters were in your town would you still have had it in the safe ?

That is AFTER tshtf, this debate is still talking about how we would like to law to be as it is now, before TSHTF Smile sorry for any confusion.

You forget, I am in the States. I only keep the really valuable stuff in the safe.

I had to walk past two shotguns and a 9mm pistol and ignore the EDC pistol in my pocket to get that time/efficiency information!

After the apocalypse is only one aspect of SHTF. Hearing the door cave in when no one officially declared SHTF is another scenario. I also think facing down two big guys that don't like your tee shirt is another SHTF situation that might immediate response with force.

Some places here have more strict storage laws. My state only worries about access limitations when children are present.

How you would like your laws is between you and your lawmakers.

I also remember that someone told me the storage restrictions were not as strict in the rural areas of GB. After all, the firearms are needed for varmint control and those critters are just as fast in GB as they are in the States. If you have to take a full minute to retrieve you gun a fox can take out half a dozen chickens before you get back to the door.