Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fun but interesting the ultimate zombie survival gun.
18 May 2013, 17:12,
RE: Fun but interesting the ultimate zombie survival gun.
(18 May 2013, 14:52)Metroyeti Wrote: Sod the guns and swords my zombiedefence will be a combine harvester to turn them into mince meat

that would do the jobSmile
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
18 May 2013, 20:46,
I used to collect swords for years, I have still kept nine of them, some I would use if shtf, and some I wouldn't, one I would use is an American cavalry sword dated 1839, made by NP Ames of Springfield,... it would make a great machete

Scaled by my knife and lens cap

[Image: _5180236_zps0bf75d58.jpg]

[Image: _5180237_zpsf1647e20.jpg]

[Image: _5180239_zps85038524.jpg]
A major part of survival is invisibility.
18 May 2013, 23:32, (This post was last modified: 18 May 2013, 23:49 by Timelord.)
The hand and a half and two handed swords are very good in a loose melee, supported by mixed weapon type troops but are not much use in a pressing melee. They tend to get bound up easily and then are just a useless bar of steel pinned against you. This is where the shorter "single handed" sword and a free offhand comes into its own. Whilst still being adequate in a looser melee and easily capable of dispatching zombies, the shorter sword is much easier to wield in a close melee. The most useful types for the situation proposed would be like a "falchion" type blade form, which is like a sword sized Bowie knife. This sword type is first recorded in paintings depicting the 2nd Crusade and was in use through to the 16th Century. It is theorised that it was a European modification of an Eastern style sword. Sort of a cross between a straight traditional type and an early scimitar. It was even carried by some knights and is shown in paintings used on horseback and cleaving straight through an opponent knights crusader flat top helmet and half way down to the neckline! It has considerable mass in the blade which creates an incredible impact/cleaving force but is also shorter than say a Viking type sword and so the weight and balance is still good - in fact the direction of the sword movement and recovery can be altered faster due to these physical characteristics. The blade edge starts off straight like a traditional European sword and then curves upwards gently towards a clip point. This makes it cut on a curved edge and also has the clip point for considerable thrusts. The sword can be used for cut or thrust and is pretty indestructible physically. It has a hand guard that bends back to cover the fingers and is chunky enough to allow a punching blow, like a knuckle duster but with the added weight of the sword behind it. This is useful if the edge does get caught up.
Alexander the Great's infantry cleaved their way through all opponents with a blade form of similar characteristics. It was again a single handed shorter blade of maybe 24 to 26 inches in length. It had a blade shape like a sword version of a "Parang" (not one of the Bear Grylls ones that is actually a machete/cleaver). This put the blade mass more towards the front with a pronounced upwards curve and it is recorded that the blades cut through their opponents helmets and down into their shields with a heavy overhand blow.
Another classic sword that is designed for close quarter hard pressing melee is the "Cutlass". Again, single edged for strength, a curved front part to the blade and possible a concave curve back towards the hilt for a running cut - also with a clip point but less angular than a true "Bowie" type clip point. This sword excelled in close confined spaces and especially below decks and urban raids where a longer type blade would be seriously disadvantaged. The hilt also incorporated a shell type hand guard that protected the vulnerable hand & wrist which was projected outwards while using the sword. Again they usually had a heavy solid pommel cap, that had a projecting rivet head that also secured the tang. this would easily fracture skulls if used so. They often incorporated a solid curved iron bar in front of the fingers as part of the shell guard design (similar to the earlier Falchion). This doubled up as a knuckle duster.
An important aspect to use of any sword, is the ability to carry it safely & securely in all manner of situations. This is one reason why the shorter single hander is by far the most common sword type throughout history. It could be carried in a scabbard on the belt or suspended by a leather strap in many environments without being too encumbering.
A single handed sword, not overly long, has plenty enough power to perform the task in any melee, especially against essentially unarmoured Zombies and is also excellent if the melee presses in or if using indoors etc. It also is not so easily bound up in a press and can effectively still be raised for a chop or the point be thrust if room is even more restrictive. This type of weapon use leaves the offhand free to be used proactively in some other way.

Hello Highlander. the sword you have posted a pic of looks unfamiliar to me as any type of cavalry sword I am aware of from the early 19th Century. Cavalry swords were normally long single handers that in the 19thC also curved throughout their length. This was the era of Sabres. The sword you posted does however look just like the ones issued to infantry like artillery units who were not expected to commit in the front line but who may unfortunately have to perform desperate defensive actions if the enemy attempted to overrun their positions. The blades forms for this were single handed and of a shorter & heavier profile than a cavalry sword. Also they had to be tough because infantry were noted for a tendency to use their short swords for collecting firewood and other tasks, no matter how often they were instructed not to do so. The hilt is of the classic Napoleonic period which was "apeing" after the classical Greco-Roman designs of antiquity. Please really do let me know if this is definitely a cavalry sword as I am always keen to improve my knowledge on the vast subject. By the way, that sword form is excellent for the Zombie despatching role and fulfils the requirements already mentioned :-)
If any members would like to chat about any area of this subject or poll weapons or even come round and get to grips with them for real, then I would be a happy prepper. TL.

It is indeed --->

http://www.relicman.com/weapons/zArchive...32Ames.htm
Regards, TL.

And in very nice condition. A valuable relic perhaps? :-)
"How far back in time do you think our future will be?"
19 May 2013, 00:01,
My apologizes TL,... The reason I have said it is cavalry is because I have seen photos of US cavalry wearing this sword so I know they did use them from time to time,... but I should have read my notes more carefully, [ its been many years since they were collected. over 20 yrs ]

The were made for the US Artillery, but I think were open to being used by many different units, not so much for fighting but as a general working tool

This site shows the sword well, in particular the second paragraph, and the second photo [ in blue ],.. that sword is dated 1838, the year they were modified, a year before mine,...mine is in better condition than the one in the photo, including my scabbard

http://www.angelfire.com/wa/swordcollect...page1.html
19 May 2013, 00:11,
Please do not apologise. It is a fascinating subject. Also, I need to remind myself that these implements led long lives and could have been used in numerous conflict & peacetime roles, so an 1837 sword could easily have been used in other parts of the world decades later.. The one you have is in very nice condition. What is it like to handle?
"How far back in time do you think our future will be?"
19 May 2013, 08:19,
(19 May 2013, 00:11)Timelord Wrote: Please do not apologise. It is a fascinating subject. Also, I need to remind myself that these implements led long lives and could have been used in numerous conflict & peacetime roles, so an 1837 sword could easily have been used in other parts of the world decades later.. The one you have is in very nice condition. What is it like to handle?

Because the sword is short it swings quiet well, and has weight in the blade, what would worry me if I was working hard though would be the grip, I am guessing that it wouldn't be the easiest handle to hold when wet
19 May 2013, 09:21,
(18 May 2013, 14:44)Talon Wrote:
(18 May 2013, 13:01)Tartar Horde Wrote: I like your preference for a single handed type X Scandinavian blade, as a well made one would cut all day without any fear of damage, something like this would be nice, I'll pop it in the post for youTongue
http://www.castlekeep.co.uk/gallery.asp?galleryid=212
Me personally I'd go with a good Type XIIIa. The FORTE of the blade "blunt" so it can be "half sworded", just before COP and to the tip i want the blade sharp enough to cut paper, but not to lift hair, as this is too sharp. At around 3-3.5Lbs it is light enough to use one handed, but when used with two they become very fast and agile. The blade profile is Lenticular and they are dedicated cutters like your Type X, but still retain excellent thrusting ability. You could slice n dice the undead hordes all day long with a good XIIIaBig Grin
Now I am going to open a HUGE can of worms here and say a Katana would be the last sword I would ever reach forTongue

Rob Miller is a genius, funny you should post a link to his type H as it's a sword I've been wanting for awhile,hopefully I can commission one next year.
The XIIIa is a favourite of mine (i have a great fondness for big two handed cutters) i own a XIIIa with a type R pommel (i had a bit of a Kurgan fanboy thing going on at the time) a lovely balanced cleaver of a bladeBig Grin,i agree on paper cutting sharp,anything more is too fragile for me,hell even blunt a large cutting sword would do major damage.
With regard's to the Katana,it would be my last choice, especially a traditional differentially hardened one.That's a bit of a raw nerve for me.
The katana is massively overhyped and has a (very false) mythical status as the supreme cutting weapon.
whereas our European swords are often touted as being nothing more than ill balanced poorly thought out sharpened crowbars, as ludicrous as the myth that knights had to be winched up onto their horses
Rob Miller makes swords that have "soul", his "Suontaka" reproduction Sword is a stunning piece of craftmanship Talon, and his work is a perfect example of beauty and functionality. I have lost count of the times I have had a conversation about "knights in armour" vs "Samurai" etc, and to be honest Talon it is an up-hill battle to get most people to drop their pre-conceived idead about Medieval European fighting ability, the "winching knights onto Horses" is a perfect example.
19 May 2013, 09:34,
My Light Sabre trumps all the above Smile

19 May 2013, 09:44,
(19 May 2013, 09:34)NorthernRaider Wrote: My Light Sabre trumps all the above Smile
If only NR, us "swordies" are just waiting for some bugger to invent one, and you all know you'd buy one so don't pull a faceTongue
19 May 2013, 20:43, (This post was last modified: 19 May 2013, 20:54 by Tartar Horde.)
I agree Talon for a single handed weapon dedicated to cutting you can't go far wrong with a good Falchion, or a Sabre (but that's a whole different discussion). As you point out the Falchion has definate lineage, originating in the Middle East as a European engineered version of the Scimitar. There are many depictions of the "proffesional Warrior Class" of Europe using such weapons in the melee[i] but I would like to challenge your point when you say
"The hand and a half and two handed swords are very good in a loose melee, supported by mixed weapon type troops but are not much use in a pressing melee. They tend to get bound up easily and then are just a useless bar of steel pinned against you."
The fighting system employed by the European warrior class encompassed a wide variety of techniques dedicated to combat during melee. Although I agree on the effectiveness of the Falchion during close combat Talon, we have to appreciate the technique of "half Swording" where the "longsword" is effectively turned into a "short Sword", as shown in many medieval texts. Used with the correct technique the Longsword can be used as an effective "close in" weapon, the added "leverage" being used as an advantage in deflecting enemy attacks.
Saying that Talon if I had to rely on ANY type of short sword I would pick the [i]GLADIUS HISPANIENSIS
(Mainz pattern) simply the finest short sword ever devised (but I'm willing to argue the point)

Sorry I meant Timelord instead of Talon when quoting in parentheses, my apologies chaps.