Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
interesting U tube snippet
18 May 2013, 18:35,
RE: interesting U tube snippet
(18 May 2013, 18:28)Grumpy Grandpa Wrote:
(18 May 2013, 17:35)bigpaul Wrote: we are always 9 meals from anarchy!

Lord Cameron of Dillington, I presume...

sorry, don't get the connection.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
18 May 2013, 19:44,
He was the guy who coined the phrase, "Nine meals from anarchy" when he was Minister for Farming (or some-such), appointed by Tony Blair. He was describing just how delicate the UK's food supply really was, even in those days.

I'm pretty sure the phrase or one(s) with very close meanings have been around for longer than that but he was credited with it.

18 May 2013, 20:52,
When anything go's short , most people will panic buy, just look what happened when we were told to keep a ( jerry can ) of spare fuel, the minister later said he meant a five litre can not the 20 litre JERRY CAN , I remember bread was in real short supply in the seventies ( flour strike or shortages ) same thing bakers with flour sold out in 20 mins so you can put it down to the human condition of fear of running out, We however , prepare for just about all devastating events WE know better WE will not get caught out that easy...least that's our plan and aim, that's why we prepare
19 May 2013, 09:33,
our supermarkets have a "just in time" delivery system, which most of the time is adequate but if something ,however small, interrupts the supply chain, that (9 meals) is the amount of food in the shops which if not replaced will lead to riots and anarchy in the streets.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
19 May 2013, 11:06,
A few years ago we lost all the mains water supply in the area due to someone crashing into an electricity sub station and the water pumping station went 'off the air'. At least that is what we were told at the time. Normal service was resumed later during the day. As we do not have any tanks in our property we are somewhat dependent upon the mains supply being there 24/7.
So I went round to our local shop to see what was available. The first thing that I noticed was the orderly queue. The second thing that I noticed was that each customer for water was being rationed to a maximum amount in any 24 hours per household. As we live in a very small community most folk know who is who and it is not too difficult to know who does what and when. Whilst some folk were getting a bit loud on the subject a few minutes of quiet reasoning from the proprietor seemed to work in most cases.
I have to say that I am glad I live where I do, amongst mostly sane folks who just want to 'get on with getting on'.
If the reporting on the water situation in the video was overdone then that just goes to indicate how panic stricken that national community becomes, seemingly at the drop of a hat - so to speak. Perhaps living from one crisis to the next becomes a way of life. Maybe some people like to have it that way.
19 May 2013, 11:14,
(19 May 2013, 11:06)iaaems Wrote: A few years ago we lost all the mains water supply in the area due to someone crashing into an electricity sub station and the water pumping station went 'off the air'. At least that is what we were told at the time. Normal service was resumed later during the day. As we do not have any tanks in our property we are somewhat dependent upon the mains supply being there 24/7.
So I went round to our local shop to see what was available. The first thing that I noticed was the orderly queue. The second thing that I noticed was that each customer for water was being rationed to a maximum amount in any 24 hours per household. As we live in a very small community most folk know who is who and it is not too difficult to know who does what and when. Whilst some folk were getting a bit loud on the subject a few minutes of quiet reasoning from the proprietor seemed to work in most cases.
I have to say that I am glad I live where I do, amongst mostly sane folks who just want to 'get on with getting on'.
If the reporting on the water situation in the video was overdone then that just goes to indicate how panic stricken that national community becomes, seemingly at the drop of a hat - so to speak. Perhaps living from one crisis to the next becomes a way of life. Maybe some people like to have it that way.

yes, I agree, the rioting situation would seem to be relevant to an urban situation, in my area where everyone knows who you are and where you live it will probably not happen, at least not on a sort of burst main, sub station off type of situation, don't know about the big ONE thought, I reckon anything could happen. .even here....!