Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
My BOB
20 May 2013, 22:50, (This post was last modified: 20 May 2013, 23:04 by Northumbriman.)
RE: My BOB
I have a Vango ultralite 3 sleeping bag. I thought when I got it it might do me as a 2 season bag as it was so thin and light no way would it make for 3. It's been used now several times and in all sorts of conditions and it's the warmest bag I've ever owned. It was only about 30 quid so great value and small pack size too.

I have a Vango ultralite 3 sleeping bag. I thought when I got it it might do me as a 2 season bag as it was so thin and light no way would it make for 3. It's been used now several times and in all sorts of conditions and it's the warmest bag I've ever owned. It was only about 30 quid so great value and small pack size too.
An old scout is full of rescource, that is he can find a way out of any difficulty or discomfort. (Lord Robert Baden Powell)
20 May 2013, 23:08,
(20 May 2013, 22:50)Northumbriman Wrote: I have a Vango ultralite 3 sleeping bag. I thought when I got it it might do me as a 2 season bag as it was so thin and light no way would it make for 3. It's been used now several times and in all sorts of conditions and it's the warmest bag I've ever owned. It was only about 30 quid so great value and small pack size too.

Is that the Planet 50, Planet 100, or another model?
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
20 May 2013, 23:30,
(20 May 2013, 23:08)Scythe13 Wrote:
(20 May 2013, 22:50)Northumbriman Wrote: I have a Vango ultralite 3 sleeping bag. I thought when I got it it might do me as a 2 season bag as it was so thin and light no way would it make for 3. It's been used now several times and in all sorts of conditions and it's the warmest bag I've ever owned. It was only about 30 quid so great value and small pack size too.

Is that the Planet 50, Planet 100, or another model?

It's the ultralight 350. Got mine on offer at gooutdoors
An old scout is full of rescource, that is he can find a way out of any difficulty or discomfort. (Lord Robert Baden Powell)
20 May 2013, 23:37,
(20 May 2013, 23:30)Northumbriman Wrote: It's the ultralight 350. Got mine on offer at gooutdoors

It's on my shopping list!

Nice one NM.
21 May 2013, 07:38,
i'll be honest guys, i wouldnt consider anything less than 3-4 seasons.

personally i use my old faithful british army arctic sleeping bag in all conditions, the lowest temp ive ever used it in was -5c, and i was too hot, that was without a mat or bed too!!

if you have to bug out in winter, you'll thank me!
in some cases, those with the least to say, say the most.....
21 May 2013, 07:52,
Yep that's why I like my vango...it's been too warm quite a few times but I can open it both from the bottom or the top to cool off, I can pull the hood and inner shoulder baffle in tight to keep extra heat in and so far have not needed more than that. To increase the seasons I can add an inner. If you are on a budget like I an getting one bag is likely to be the only option. If you go for an extreme season bag then you will spend most of your night out of it in the UK unless you are in the Scottish mountains in winter. Layer up as you would your clothes. Plus a lighter bag stuffs down small and light in your pack!
21 May 2013, 08:39,
I use a Coleman -18 mummy bag.

21 May 2013, 10:44,
I'm with NM......lightweight all the way!
21 May 2013, 10:58,
US Army modular sleep system. Warmest bag I've ever slept in. Shame it's so bloody big though.

I want to ditch that and go for a bed roll instead, spotted a nice Duluth one, but it's $360 + P&P. Need to work out how to assimilate it into my stores without the wife noticing.
21 May 2013, 11:53,
My new Puppy ripped open my BOB and my GHB and ate all my food supplies and pretty much made the bags unusable... So I guess this is an opportunity to buy new gear, but perhaps by the front door isn't the best place for a BOB when you have puppies.