Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
East Anglia HI
20 May 2013, 21:37,
RE: East Anglia HI
Hello and welcome to the forum.

What got you into survival and prepping?
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
20 May 2013, 21:44,
Howdo!
20 May 2013, 21:45,
Hi De Hi
20 May 2013, 21:53,
Hello there River Song ! greetings from a nearly top secret bunker....at least 12" deep underground ....in the beautiful countryside of Durham Big Grin
20 May 2013, 21:55,
Hello from londonistan
Todays mighty oak is just yesterdays nut that held its ground
In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king
20 May 2013, 22:40,
Hello and welcome.
Prepper Kid: when will the sheeple wake up to the reality?
Prepper Parent: When it is too late to begin prepping for it.
21 May 2013, 07:32, (This post was last modified: 21 May 2013, 08:05 by River Song.)
(20 May 2013, 21:22)Highlander Wrote: Welcome to the forum, from the Scottish Highlands,.... but hang on a mo,.. arnt you dead...Smile

A real believe will know that I am only plugged in at the library

(20 May 2013, 21:37)Scythe13 Wrote: What got you into survival and prepping?

It's difficult to say really. It was a number of factors. I don't really like the terms "survivalist" or "prepper". They suggest the wild, extreme right wing, gun totting, government hating guys in Montana. Don't get me wrong. I respect their views but the context in the UK is totally different. For what it's worth, the social infrastructure here is more "together" than in the USA where it's all down to volunteerism.

I'm happier using the term 'resilience' which is the term that HMG uses (Bless their hearts)

The biggest factor that got me into this was an appreciation of the single biggest risk to UK resilience which is Pandemic Flu followed by Coastal Flooding (and surface water) followed by Terrorist activity followed by Volcanic Weather. Those are the four biggest threats with Pandemic being the biggie with a chance of 1 in 2 to 1 in 20.

It's not if, it's when. Once I understood the threat I started taking action. As I said, I live in East Anglia in a village (mixed housing) with good neighbours but the village sits on a major 'A' road.

I'm not expecting zombies unless you count the 'hoodies' and other people from a major town around 5 miles away who could spread out.
They are a real danger and protection of the home will be a major expense. I can't bug out. I've got nowhere to do and frankly I'm far too old. We plan for one year holed up. I might be able to do something after that, but if things don't look like being restored within say 12 - 18 months, then I probably will be happy to let the good Lord take me home.

So far - we have about one month food and I'm looking at dehydrating stuff. I can't afford the Mountain House freeze dried stuff.

First aid preps are pretty good and although I don't really want to carry out any operations (!!) I'm fairly well equipped from band-aids through wound and israeli dressings and Swat-T tourniquets through to a small supply of Oral Morphine and injectable dia-morphine

Security. Well we don't have guns in the UK (un)fortunately but if anyone wants the plans for that gun that can be created in plastic which was in the news and got taken down by the US Government then let me know. (When will they realise that you can't put toothpaste back in).

If someone comes through the door the first thing they need is a big shock - paint gun/pepper spray followed by a quick stun gun and then take a garden hoe thats been sharpened and go through the head. Or take a very sharp knife and duct tape it to a broom handle.

Windows can be lined with that 3M plastic stick on sheets which makes it unsmashable.

One thing I don't have despite my name is a 'sonic screwdriver'

That's it for now.

If you are interested in HMG's breakdown of risk then go to

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicatio...mergencies

and download the latest.

Take care sweeties
21 May 2013, 10:44,
Hi River and welcome from S W Scotland. I stumbled in here by accident almost a month ago and had my eyes opened! I've found the members here to be friendly and very helpful. If you need advice on anything, just ask. Smile

Don't ignore Survival UK Main or older posts though - there's a wealth of information waiting for you!

21 May 2013, 12:01,
Aye welcome to the forum
21 May 2013, 17:01,
Hello from Norfolk!
Woe to those who add house to house and join field to field, Until there is no more room, So that you have to live alone in the midst of the land!
Isaiah 5:8