Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bartering
23 May 2013, 11:41,
RE: Bartering
I think that after TSHTF AND any violence subsides I will pretty soon be able to trade and barter is Sea Salt, Open cast coal,Filtered water, homeopathic remedies,Charcoal and Rabbit pelts, as well as my wifes medical skills so i have to disagree with my mate BP on this one.

23 May 2013, 11:51,
Nice Post LL

even if you have enough and even if you have surplus, you might want to start stocking up as a trading post.
IMHO Forget Gold and Silver -- you can't eat those. As NR says after the SHTF AND after violence then that will be the time.

I had also thought of medical skills. Problem is here in the UK we have such a 'rights' entitlement that people will think that your skills are on the NHS.

My Vet told me that someone had come in to get this dog seen to and then wouldn't pay.

"I'm on benefits", he said.
23 May 2013, 12:39,
all I am saying is post shtf most people will be eating what their growing and what their hunting, they wont have any EXTRA to trade with even if they wanted to. if you think you'll have a surplus to barter with then good on you but most people will be lucky if they have enough to eat never mind trade.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
26 May 2013, 15:39,
some one else with actual experience of bartering in a shtf environment: http://shtfschool.com/resources/some-tho...bartering/
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
26 May 2013, 19:05,
And in that real life SHTF scenario, in the Bosnian War, a barter economy sprang up instantly!

Same happened in GB during both Wars and in Germany after WW2 in all sectors.

Same thing is happening in every part of the world where the normal supply and demand channels break down.

Most folks do not realize that the U.S. recognized the coin of every major power as specie until nearly 1840. We minted very little of our own coin and bartered most goods locally, then used the gold and silver of any nation we had on hand as hard money. Coins were cut into pieces to make smaller denominations and we still refer to .25 cents as "2 bits" due to the Spanish silver milled dollar usually being cut into 8 segments.

In the early days one could pay taxes, pay salaries and maintain accounts based on pounds of tobacco as the standard barter item. Bushels of corn were also used as a standard as well as deer skins. We still refer to our money as "bucks.
27 May 2013, 14:12,
A few have said they will not be bartering full stop, I will not be bartering but then again we could find ourselves in a situation where we have to barter,Smile maybe even for or lives so never say never people!
27 May 2013, 14:37, (This post was last modified: 27 May 2013, 14:39 by bigpaul.)
(27 May 2013, 14:12)David075 Wrote: A few have said they will not be bartering full stop, I will not be bartering but then again we could find ourselves in a situation where we have to barter

trouble with bartering is other people, best not to have anything to do with them.

I use the old saying in everyday life: "if you don't know them, if you haven't worked with them or spent time with them, then DONT trust them", that sums up my whole attitude to bartering and life in general post shtf.
11 June 2013, 10:24,
Well I'd have to barter my body
11 June 2013, 11:13,
Many of us are generating that surplus by buying more than we need.

There will always be a requirement to trade. People may choose not to participate and accept the consequences. That is their right.

But there are many things we can trade.

1) Something we put aside now and barter later
Tea
Coffee
Cheap spectacles
Tobacco
Alcohol
Tools
Salt
Sugar
Water
Medical Stuff
2) Something we can make for someone.
Medical Skills
Engineering Skills (Remember the little guy on Mad Max Thunderdome)
Mercenary skills.
Farming skillls
3) Just supplying labour to help build a fence, dig a well etc.

There is usually something that can be traded and remember in a trade both parties usually feel they are happy with the outcome. Nobody should feel they are being ripped off although I have no doubt that will happen as the price of commodities is adjusted. How much Gold is that egg worth? How many hours labour for treating my childs diarrhea? It'll settle down but not before a few headed discussions. Flexibitity will be required but as I said there will always be a few who will take advantage. Try not to be in the situation where you have nothing to offer.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
11 June 2013, 11:21,
well, I guess i'm different, if I've got extra i'll be keeping them for myself, what I haven't got i'll go without, in the end we'll all have to get used to not having this or that as stocks of it start running out anyway.