Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bartering
11 June 2013, 11:48,
RE: Bartering
BP, Thats the point. They may run out of your stores but somewhere, someone will be making or have a replacement. If you are willing to pay something.

As I said though you can choose not to join in. Your choice but most of us will be bartering in the same way we shop now.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
11 June 2013, 11:54,
I don't think I live in a large enough urban area to see much in the way of bartering going on, this area is very poor, high unemployment, basic wage, people don't have much to start with, so will probably hold onto what they have.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
11 June 2013, 13:39,
(22 May 2013, 19:11)bigpaul Wrote: a person can survive without trading, post shtf the best prepping tool will be knowledge .with knowledge we can survive anything.

I agree knowledge goes a long way but you also need skill.
Lets you are looking at a nice deer, with your bow and arrow.
Probability is that without practice you may well miss, so there goes your dinner.
Even lighting a fire with a lighter or matches, using a piece of glass or sticks, again without some practice it means you are practising when you need it most.
So skill in things goes a long way as well.

To put it another way.

A big ship is safer than a small life boat; therefore, you should only man the life boats and leave the big ship if you are pretty sure that it will really sink. Even a big ship in trouble is far more stable, has more resources, and can better stand a storm, than small life boats.

My viewpoint would be, that we are on a ship that may potentially get in big trouble, but that is still not yet sinking, it is not even really damaged yet. If you leave the ship now, the ship will sail on, leaving you behind, all on your own. The big ship may collide with an iceberg and sink, but it is far better prepared to sail through a heavy storm than a small life boat.

Let’s keep working the analogy.
"Manning" the lifeboats is at least one step before "deploying" the lifeboats. If and when it becomes clear you should abandon ship, you want to be near or on a lifeboat. The other choice will be standing at the back in the crowd pressing to get a seat on a boat precisely at the moment it becomes clear to everyone that the lifeboats need to deploy and the ship needs to be abandoned. Hope you are a good swimmer!

So for me, "manning" the lifeboat means taking what small, hard earned wealth I possess now and either purchasing some property alone or with others. This property needs to be usable to at least provide subsistence agriculture. Where I live, these kinds of properties are already rising in value faster than other real estate. As a lifeboat it need not ever float completely on its own until the ship crashes and starts going down. If the ship is only listing and struggling, we will still be tethered and floating alongside.

Will this little lifeboat be able to float on its own? That could be the hard test. Waiting until it is desperately needed to float to begin learning how to sail and test its sea worthiness would be an extremely stressful and risky plan in my way of thinking. So my suggestion to anyone else who is planning to have a little boat similar as me, take all the "sailing" lessons you can now with your own agricultural efforts, however big or small. Gather all the hard earned advice you can from the old seafaring salts.
If others take this course of action then may be, just may be, my lifeboat tethered together with other lifeboats might just manage to come through the storm.

What I'm sure about, is that for my family and those close to me, I don't want to have our only choice to be "swimming lessons". And waiting for those lessons to begin at the time when we need to be exiting the ship and leaving shark infested waters for the nearest rock or shore.

This is my personal stance at the time of writing but as nothing is written in stone it may change through circumstance as time passes and things develop.
This as I say and reiterate is MY PERSONAL VIEW.
11 June 2013, 13:56, (This post was last modified: 11 June 2013, 14:00 by bigpaul.)
sorry John, aren't you the one who said he wouldn't survive post shtf(health reasons)??Big Grin

I mean you said it enough times.

I think your on the wrong thread John, we were talking about bartering not "skills".
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
11 June 2013, 14:04,
I have a decent amount of spare hand tools and self weapons to trade if need be.
I have no friends,wonder why
11 June 2013, 14:11,
I've got stuff I COULD trade, small knives and lighters, saws and stuff like that, I just think that given how poor my rural area is I don't think anyone would have anything to trade, and if their short of food with nothing to trade they will resort to ANY means to get that food, including violence, which is why I said I wouldn't trust anyone and would prefer not to have anything to do with other people. just my PERSONAL thoughts and observations.
11 June 2013, 15:54,
There must be a "best fit" range of items that one could acquire now for trading later, that are:
a) cheap to buy
b) easy to store in quantity (i.e. small)
c) have a long shelf-life
d) will be of value post-SHTF

Disposable razors? Batteries? Soap? Scalpels? Matches? Reels of cotton? Needles? etc.?
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.
11 June 2013, 15:58,
disposable lighters...4 for 50p in our local weekly market.
11 June 2013, 18:02,
Just want into your localpound shops with a tenner and come out with ten items that could be traded easily. Items freely available cheaply that will be of great value after TSHTF.

There are other lists but five minutes in a pound shop and you can write your own.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin