Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next Month's Food Experimentation
24 May 2013, 10:03,
Next Month's Food Experimentation
This should be an interesting one.

Next month I'm going to be heading into a realm unwalked by many British citizens over the age of 4.

I'm hoping to compile a list of recipes for eating crickets, and will be making them, eating them, and hopefully serving them to friends....whom might not be too happy to find out they were eating crickets (so we probably just won't tell them...right? Glad you agree).

So far I have a recipe for fajitas, and a protein bar style snack!

Any other recipes would be appreciated.

I'm thinking about frying some and using them in place of chicken in sweat n' sour stir fry.

Other ideas would be appreciated.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
24 May 2013, 10:18, (This post was last modified: 24 May 2013, 10:19 by bigpaul.)
RE: Next Month's Food Experimentation
any reasons WHY crickets? and will you be buying them from somewhere or will you be catching them? I know there has been this thing in the news about eating insects but we have enough rabbits, squirrels and other vermin in this country to go around without resorting to insects and much more appetising too.

why don't you try cooking and eating roadkill instead. free food and someone else has killed it for youTongue
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
24 May 2013, 10:37,
(24 May 2013, 10:18)bigpaul Wrote: any reasons WHY crickets? and will you be buying them from somewhere or will you be catching them? I know there has been this thing in the news about eating insects but we have enough rabbits, squirrels and other vermin in this country to go around without resorting to insects and much more appetising too.

why don't you try cooking and eating roadkill instead. free food and someone else has killed it for youTongue

Crickets because of the ease of reproduction.

If you have chickens or rabbits, or any other animal, the amount of food they use will produce a limited amount of meat/eggs/etc. The same amount of feed for those animals will produce over 5 times more crickets.

10 lbs of feed/grain produces 1lb of beef. However, 10lbs of feed/grain produces 9lbs of crickets!!! It's a brilliant natural resource.

Initially I'll be buying the crickets. If it goes to plan, and I make reasonable meals, then I'll look towards breeding. But for now, I just want to try and cook them.
24 May 2013, 10:42,
in a survival event where you cant get meat I might agree with you but post shtf there will be plenty of meat animals around and as a confirmed carnivore I know which i'll be eating.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
24 May 2013, 10:54,
(24 May 2013, 10:42)bigpaul Wrote: in a survival event where you cant get meat I might agree with you but post shtf there will be plenty of meat animals around and as a confirmed carnivore I know which i'll be eating.

I agree. But it's easier to sweep a net through some grass than it is to stalk and shoot a deer, then stalk it some more. When you bring back the deer, I'll be full with a smile on my face from a meal haha.

It's just another string to the bow, so to speak.
24 May 2013, 10:59,
I like a bit of lateral thinking Scythe and many cultures eat insects as a part of their daily diet. Check out Mexican cuisine as they have a wide range of insects they eat.
24 May 2013, 10:59,
(24 May 2013, 10:54)Scythe13 Wrote:
(24 May 2013, 10:42)bigpaul Wrote: in a survival event where you cant get meat I might agree with you but post shtf there will be plenty of meat animals around and as a confirmed carnivore I know which i'll be eating.

I agree. But it's easier to sweep a net through some grass than it is to stalk and shoot a deer, then stalk it some more. When you bring back the deer, I'll be full with a smile on my face from a meal haha.

It's just another string to the bow, so to speak.
yes I see where your coming from.
24 May 2013, 11:04, (This post was last modified: 24 May 2013, 11:09 by Scythe13.)
Just found this

http://www.today.com/food/pan-fried-cric...-1C9004902

http://chapul.com
24 May 2013, 12:34,
Heston?????? i thought i recognised those glasses on your avatar!!

good plan, i hope it goes well!
in some cases, those with the least to say, say the most.....
24 May 2013, 13:09,
I have eaten fried crickets, but I couldn't tell you what they tasted like, because they were mixed in with worms and nettles

I will be interested in any recipe you care to share
A major part of survival is invisibility.