Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
free heat and hot water for 20 yrs
24 May 2013, 12:42,
free heat and hot water for 20 yrs
in my home i have a cast iron fire with a back boiler this also heats 8 radiators.
When i first moved in i burnt coal even then this cost a lot so i soon started looking around for free wood to burn.
it did not take long to spot good places to look skips if they are having a new kitchen fitted the old one will burn great plus most people are more than happy for you to take it [more room in skip average cost med size £100].
also try kitchen fitters yards they often have a skip in the back and are more than happy for you to ask.
many factorys also have left over wood from all sorts of stuff , just look and always ask , they all have to pay to have it removed.
so why not give it a go iv been doing this for 20 yrs now the more you do it the eazyer it gets .

good luck happy hunting.....
Survive the jive (youtube )
24 May 2013, 12:58,
RE: free heat and hot water for 20 yrs
we have been skip diving for the last 13 years, its surprising what you find.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
24 May 2013, 13:01, (This post was last modified: 24 May 2013, 13:02 by Highlander.)
We also have a multi-fueled stove that heats our hot water and 8 radiators, we are able to go to the Forestry Commission and take tree logs under 8 feet long, [ multi thicknesses ]

We do buy coat to, but we have already started buying now for next winter, a little at a time, and the cost is not noticed

Of course that's meant to say, ` we do buy COAL`
A major part of survival is invisibility.
26 June 2013, 15:36,
if youe got an existing good system (say a combi cindenser type) and you want to add a solid fuel to it as a shtf back up you may want to consider one of these.....

http://www.dunsleyheat.co.uk/neutralizer.html

they have multiple input and even allow wet solar to be hooked upCool

Alterego
26 June 2013, 19:51,
where I work, we have loads of "useless" wood, thrown in the skip. I wish someone would take it cause as Sunna mentioned, we have to pay for a company to haul it away.
not just for burning either, we've made shelving, garden borders, etc using scrap wood.
26 June 2013, 20:55,
There is a sawmill near me, the lads there sell potato crates full of softwood offcuts at £45 each on Saturday mornings. No shortage of takers. Personally I'd consider it to make kindling from, not as a main burn.
27 June 2013, 16:03,
(26 June 2013, 20:55)Steve Wrote: There is a sawmill near me, the lads there sell potato crates full of softwood offcuts at £45 each on Saturday mornings. No shortage of takers. Personally I'd consider it to make kindling from, not as a main burn.

yes steve its everywhere ,all you have to do is look i get very upset when i visit my local tip theirs one set aside for wood and they wont let me take it tons of it going to land fill .
why not let people[offenders]chop/smash it up theirs plenty of old folk near me paying loads for logs/coal its just going to waste. why ??
Survive the jive (youtube )