Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best SHTF clothes question and discussion
26 May 2013, 13:10,
RE: Best SHTF clothes question and discussion
Just to add my thanks to Grumpy Grandpa's to everyone who's posted in this thread - especially NR for pointing out the drawback of jeans.

I had no idea. I knew I needed warm clothing, I've stashed lots of it, but the importance of pockets in particular had completely passed me by. If I can spread the weight down my legs as well as round my body then I can carry that much more in my BOB. I wish I'd had GG's guts to ask the question in the first place, and am just desperately grateful that he did.Heart

For myself, I've little of value to contribute, except maybe a couple of pointers I've picked up from night location work in TV. These are:

The importance of thermal underwear, especially the unglamorous long-johns. Sorry, River Song, but they're even more crucial for girlies. The less leg-fur we have, the more we need the extra coverage.

The usefulness of large size women's tights to be worn by men as well as women under their trousers. Honest. If you can't find a pair big enough then cut off the toes, but try it for yourself and you'll see how much warmer it makes you. Naturally I take no responsibility for any subsequent complications in your personal lives.Big Grin

A hat. Any hat. Couldn't be more crucial, a) for warmth, and b) for security. The last bit only applies to those of us with longer hair, but I was taught this when working on a film project on a 'peace line' in N.I. and subsequently discovered the painful truth of it during my first battle re-enactment.
Long hair, especially in a pony tail, can and will be grabbed by anyone wanting to get you, and needs to be as much hidden and under your control as possible. My second time in battle I had my own hair squashed under a helmet, and enjoyed the delightful experience of spinning a male 'Spanish' warrior three times my weight in a dizzying circle because the idiot was sporting a pony tail.
It was rather fun, actually... Wink

Fleeing the thread quickly before our more hirsute members take umbrage...

Louise

Messages In This Thread
RE: Best SHTF clothes question and discussion - by Little Lou - 26 May 2013, 13:10