Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crossbow stringing problem
30 May 2013, 11:47,
Crossbow stringing problem
I've had a problem stinging up a new Armex crossbow.

I used the stringing aid in exactly the same way as I have on another Armex.

End caps were fully engaged on the ends of the pros.

When I fired the coking aide, one of the end caps split and effectively disintegrated.

This is the first stinging of a brand new bow. The prod is 95lb if that is relevant.

Is this a manufacturing defect of the end cap? I've ordered some more but want to ensure that it isn't a problem of technique on my part. For sure I do not want to be busting end caps repeatedly.

Any advice appreciated.
conscius et paratum
30 May 2013, 12:07, (This post was last modified: 30 May 2013, 12:08 by NorthernRaider.)
RE: Crossbow stringing problem
Its a common fault, the end caps often split either when first used or as happened to me if left strung for a long time the string can on occasion gradually spilt the end cap. I had two end caps go over two years on the same left hand side of only one of my three pistol bows, in the end I gently sanded the end of the prod to ensure no sharp bit were damaging the end cap. I have always encouraged preppers to buy multiple strings, multiple end caps and at least one spare prod for each crossbow.

On these type of bows I believe the end caps are for want of a better word Sacrificial, the end caps are meant to bust rather than see the string or limb get damaged.

30 May 2013, 12:34,
RE: Crossbow stringing problem
(30 May 2013, 12:07)NorthernRaider Wrote: Its a common fault, the end caps often split either when first used or as happened to me if left strung for a long time the string can on occasion gradually spilt the end cap. I had two end caps go over two years on the same left hand side of only one of my three pistol bows, in the end I gently sanded the end of the prod to ensure no sharp bit were damaging the end cap. I have always encouraged preppers to buy multiple strings, multiple end caps and at least one spare prod for each crossbow.

On these type of bows I believe the end caps are for want of a better word Sacrificial, the end caps are meant to bust rather than see the string or limb get damaged.

Good idea about sanding the ends of the prod.

Mine failed on the left hand side too. Curious.

I did have one spare set of caps and two spare strings, but didn't want to risk these getting damaged if the problem was operator error.

The failure has demonstrated the weakness and I have already ordered multiple spares in contingency of the same happening further down the line. However this is making me consider what else could be used as an end caps in the long term.

Thanks for the feedback. I will not be able to discuss further for a little while as I will be away.

Thanks again
conscius et paratum