Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Food and meds storage disastor
29 May 2013, 20:27,
Food and meds storage disastor
Been storing my food in plastic storage boxes just went to remove a few cans that were getting near the end of there shelflife. I noticed some of the cans have gone abit rusty at the bottom. My main concern is with my rice/pasta and a few meds ive got.i carnt see any mould in the bags of rice but will it be safe? I dont want to risk botulism if tshf tomorrow, should I bin it and get a fresh supply?(aswel as aload of oxygen absorbers)
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have" Thomas Jefferson
29 May 2013, 20:33,
RE: Food and meds storage disastor
The cans will certainly be safe if they are not punctured which I doubt, the same goes for any other stores as long as the food/stores and sealed they should still be good

Where were you storing them?, it might be a good lesson to learn from and find a drier place to put them if possible,.. or add a couple of silicon sachets to catch any moisture
A major part of survival is invisibility.
29 May 2013, 20:39,
My flats cold, no central heating so im thinking the best place to store them will be my front room as its the onlt room that will get heated. I didnt realize quite how cold my flat was, so im going to stock up on oxy absorbers. The meds be ok? Got antibiotics and strong painkillers that I carnt get with ease
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have" Thomas Jefferson
29 May 2013, 20:50,
The meds should be fine too. If they're still in either bottles or those foil 'blister packs', then the damp won't have penetrated.

Damp rice or pasta might be more iffy. Were they in boxes? Are the bottoms of the boxes stained or soft with damp? If so, then discard the lowest layer of rice or pasta that's been in contact with it, but anything 'free-running' will still be fine and just needs repackaging.

While you're waiting for oxy-absorbers, you can try wrapping boxes or bags in aluminium foil. I've kept things dry in a damp garden shed that way, and never had a problem.
29 May 2013, 20:57,
Meds should be fine. Keeping them in cold temps is recommended.

If they're sealed, they're fine. That's my simple rule of thumb.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
29 May 2013, 21:24,
Cold isn't the issue. The damp is. I would guess that there isn't a lot you can do about it so the solution is to dry the outside of everything off, check what is sealed and what isn't. you can put what you can in a bigger container that can be sealed and put oxy obsorbers in those containers. I would not put the rusty tins in the container, put new tins in and eat the contents of the rusty tiins. They will be fine to eat.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
29 May 2013, 22:49, (This post was last modified: 29 May 2013, 22:51 by Straight Shooter.)
Just about finished my pepps room M Y the major thing with storage is ventilation , air flow , you must have a dry cool place , and air flow, because you have no heating you are probably keeping your windows shut to keep the little heat you have IN no good pal ! if you are using say a gas fire ...they create CO2 ....when you breath you create CO2, ventilate the room where you prepps are , buy some 6mm insulation 10 sq mtr roll from WICKS £10 put this under your tins and storage bins and around the sides stick it with gaffer tape that should do the trick

put down a bowl of salt this will collect damp air
30 May 2013, 09:35,
(29 May 2013, 22:49)Straight Shooter Wrote: Just about finished my pepps room M Y the major thing with storage is ventilation , air flow , you must have a dry cool place , and air flow, because you have no heating you are probably keeping your windows shut to keep the little heat you have IN no good pal ! if you are using say a gas fire ...they create CO2 ....when you breath you create CO2, ventilate the room where you prepps are , buy some 6mm insulation 10 sq mtr roll from WICKS £10 put this under your tins and storage bins and around the sides stick it with gaffer tape that should do the trick

put down a bowl of salt this will collect damp air

Hi SS,

I'd forgotten the bowl of salt trick. Thanks for the reminder.

I have a damp problem caused by respiration in a very cold out house...this will sort it perfectly.

Cheers
conscius et paratum