Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recommend me a GPS unit!
30 May 2013, 13:28,
RE: Recommend me a GPS unit!
(30 May 2013, 13:23)Scythe13 Wrote: I was looking into a Garmin eTrek a while back. Cost was about £150 mark.

Didn't bother getting one as my phone had pretty good satnav and maps system, so I just kept to that instead.

Not sure the scale it goes to though. I think it was 1:25000.

Aye, looked at the eTreks. Can't find the 1:25000 maps though. I know they come with the 1:50000 for the whole of the UK, but I want to be able to see springs etc on there.

Hhmmmm, doesn't seem like what I want actually exists. May have to use an android tablet and pinch the full UK maps of t'interwebs. Be less than £100 then, but no running on AA batteries Sad
30 May 2013, 13:35,
From what I can tell, you can download the 'explorer' maps (I think they're about £100) and that gives you the 1:25000 you're looking for.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
30 May 2013, 15:32,
(30 May 2013, 13:23)Scythe13 Wrote: I was looking into a Garmin eTrek a while back. Cost was about £150 mark.

Didn't bother getting one as my phone had pretty good satnav and maps system, so I just kept to that instead.

Not sure the scale it goes to though. I think it was 1:25000.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-eTrex-Out...b_title_ce

ive got one of these little yellow etrex which came in very handy when we were lost in heavy fog/snow and it proved invaluable as it gave me a grid ref and I new exactly were I was on the map which is also essential.
cheap - http://www.handtec.co.uk/garmin-etrex-h-...tAodYlYA-A
a good solid unit which I use as a backup with a map though.

I also have a garmin Oregon 300 (obsolete now) which has the os maps on it, but I wouldn't recommend buying one its a battery eater.
also had it repaired once (ouchy).

if you really want a gps unit with maps try satmap http://www.shop.ordnancesurveyleisure.co...tAodszsAwg
I havent used one but have heard good reviews on it
hope this helps .....?
30 May 2013, 16:18,
Looks like a good unit MT, but it's 1:50000. I'm sure there must be a downloadble hack that gets you to the 1:25000?
30 May 2013, 16:29,
(30 May 2013, 16:18)Scythe13 Wrote: Looks like a good unit MT, but it's 1:50000. I'm sure there must be a downloadble hack that gets you to the 1:25000?

Screen's a bit small for me Rolleyes

Think I may have found one though....

http://www.shop.ordnancesurveyleisure.co...tAodszsAwg

Just need to buy the 1:25000 maps, which appear to be about £100ish per area. Which would do I suppose, I'm not going to find myself wandering around up north, so I just need the ones for my route home.
30 May 2013, 18:41,
Nice. Glad you got it sorted.

Remember to give us a review after a few months testing.
30 May 2013, 22:49,
This maybe or may not be of any use, but I got myself a new smart phone the other week, and one of the few apps I down loaded was a GPS app.

The scale of the map isnt really important because the system uses google earth, so you [ the little animated person] is standing, and moving over the photo

I have yet to test it properly though, so cant recommend it yet, I want to see if it will get me off the hill and to safety [ I will pretend it is foggy]

Its just that although I always thought I knew the hills around here like the back of my hand, I got lost this last winter in fog,..which was a bit worrying,... hence I will try this app

I am hoping that it will be a handy emergency application
A major part of survival is invisibility.
30 May 2013, 23:59,
All smart phones now have a Maps App that tracks your location. They're really helpful...if you have phone signal.

Not sure about your phone HL, but when I lose signal, my map app loses me :-(
26 June 2013, 19:21,
Just a wild guess you all understand, but I have this sneaky feeling that the moment the SHTF, the GPS systems will either be shut down completely, or more likely the signals will be scrambled by TPTB to preclude civilian use . Couldn't give the regular people an even break, could they?
If at first you don't secede, try, try again!
26 June 2013, 22:32,
I'm now using an iPad mini (3G version) with the Outdoors mapping application. Delighted with it.

The OS maps (1:25,000, 1:50,000 and 1:250,000 available) are the cheapest I've seen. The screen is ideal; much better than a phone or dedicated GPS. Battery life is excellent; at least 10 hours continuous use. Much, much more if you just turn it on for a quick position fix every now and then. It fits comfortably in the map pocket of my jacket. It's a bit smaller than a folded OS map. The maps are downloaded to the unit and it uses the internal GPS receiver, so no phone signal required. Plus, of course, you've got all the other iPad functionality; music, podcasts, books, connectivity, etc.

My 16Gb, 3G version was £369.
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.