Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strips or sutures?
23 November 2011, 10:32,
Strips or sutures?
I've scrapped the suturing kit I had for years cos I never had the where with all to use it, so I replaced the suture kit with two other items Medical Super Glue and Steri-Strips, I've used the glue one when I slipped whilst using a craft knife, it worked but the bottle went off after it had only been used to dispense one drop??? dunno if I did not refit the top properly or not. The Steri-Strips work great on incisions and wounds providing the skin is dry in the area around the cut, if its infected or fungussed and the skin is sloughing steri strips wont hold. What I have found useful in holding cuts closed whilst I dress or seal it is a pair of locking fauceps I blagged from a modelling shop.
NR

23 November 2011, 16:16,
RE: Strips or sutures?
I buy my super glue in small tubes for that reason. Poundland sell a strip of 10 for £1. OK, you don't get much from a tube but they don't dry out as quickly. Most tops don't seal that well so you probably did your best anyway. Also when I use one I find all the little bits I've put aside for repair and use the remaining glue rather than waste it.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
23 November 2011, 17:23,
Good information here from both of you. I have used both myself. I hope more people take note of this for in a survival situation they will need all of the wisdom contained on this site. As their stocks deplete this knowledge will be a must. Print it all out, it makes sense. Kenneth Eames.
23 November 2011, 19:09,
I have superglue from the poundshop and strips in my FAK's.

I used to know an old Toolmaker who used to swear by superglue. He had lods of warnings about using it, about the various chemicals etc but it never did him any harm, mind you he was a nutter to start with so it would have been hard to tell.
5 July 2012, 12:48,
rumour has it superglue was designed by the military for sealing wounds in the field, so i have no reservations about using it!
5 July 2012, 16:34,
(23 November 2011, 16:16)Skean Dhude Wrote: I buy my super glue in small tubes for that reason. Poundland sell a strip of 10 for £1. OK, you don't get much from a tube but they don't dry out as quickly. Most tops don't seal that well so you probably did your best anyway. Also when I use one I find all the little bits I've put aside for repair and use the remaining glue rather than waste it.

bin thinking about that so you can use standed super glue for that then SD
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
5 July 2012, 19:17,
I prefer steri strips and surgical super glue where I can use them.

5 July 2012, 19:38,
Superglue and I parted ways a while back when I trapped a speck of dirt in a cut.
It took weeks to heal.

I now use 12mm micropore tape.
It's breathable so the wound doesn't get soggy and pulls wounds together easily.
Keep it dry and it's great.
Soaks off easily when it needs changing.

Cheap and versatile.

22 August 2012, 18:02,
Only got glue, need to get seri strips. nr were did you get your suture kit?
22 August 2012, 18:14,
(22 August 2012, 18:02)Metroyeti Wrote: Only got glue, need to get seri strips. nr were did you get your suture kit?

Collected it in bits n pieces over the years, but got the odd tweezers and fauceps off E bay