Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strips or sutures?
16 May 2013, 21:19,
RE: Strips or sutures?
(5 July 2012, 12:48)Hrusai Wrote: rumour has it superglue was designed by the military for sealing wounds in the field, so i have no reservations about using it!

Fact has it,that superglue was invented by the American Army during Vietnam, to replace stitches. Regular stitches were rotting from the humidity in the area. The government needed something faster sealing that wouldn't rot. That's the story of superglue. Why do you think superglue bonds to skin faster than to any other material?

Modern superglue does have a load of chemicals in it, but not enough where a drop to seal a wound will kill you. Having said that, pour a load of superglue into a swirling pool of tap water and you can make arsnic.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
16 May 2013, 21:32,
(16 May 2013, 21:19)Scythe13 Wrote:
(5 July 2012, 12:48)Hrusai Wrote: rumour has it superglue was designed by the military for sealing wounds in the field, so i have no reservations about using it!

Fact has it,that superglue was invented by the American Army during Vietnam, to replace stitches. Regular stitches were rotting from the humidity in the area. The government needed something faster sealing that wouldn't rot. That's the story of superglue. Why do you think superglue bonds to skin faster than to any other material?

Modern superglue does have a load of chemicals in it, but not enough where a drop to seal a wound will kill you. Having said that, pour a load of superglue into a swirling pool of tap water and you can make arsnic.

im sorry arsnic really?
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
17 May 2013, 01:09,
Even though the military had it designed for them and then that they used it - in their field hospitals with trained staff who would clean the wounds out first, this scenario does not directly translate to individual or small groups of preppers out in the field under adverse conditions. While it may be quite possible for an individual to clean a wound out adequately, it should be strongly taken into account that under adverse conditions, then the superglue method should be considered carefully and so any posts that are made should not imply to others that this method is fool-proof. regards, TL
"How far back in time do you think our future will be?"
17 May 2013, 06:07,
(16 May 2013, 21:32)Barneyboy Wrote:
(16 May 2013, 21:19)Scythe13 Wrote: [quote='Hrusai'
im sorry arsnic really?

Yes really. But it's large quantities you have to mix.

To comment on what TL pointed out. The idea of the superglue was in emergencies in the field. Wounds were later reopened and cleaned out, properly at a later date, and then resealed with superglue.

Don't think superglue is a one stop shop kind of application! Clean it out, then seal it up.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
17 May 2013, 08:04,
I use steristrips and superglue.
29 June 2013, 12:43,
Cheap super glue made in gods knows where? Non medical superglue contains some chemical componds you would not want in your blood stream.
29 June 2013, 12:56,
I think where possible I wouldn't use superglue in a wound,.. what I might do is use duct tape to draw a wound closed,..using supper glue to secure the ends of the tape if necessary.

Having said this, I have Celox which I would prefer
A major part of survival is invisibility.
29 June 2013, 18:19,
Keep an opened superglue tube/bottle in the fridge, you can get the lid off easier, and it lasts for AGES compared to keeping it at ambient temp.

I also have steri strips in my FAK
in some cases, those with the least to say, say the most.....
20 August 2013, 11:46,
Medical surgical glue is adapted from superglue, it was used by the American GIs during the Vietnam war as they found small wounds got easily infected, leading to sepsis and potentially death, simply using glue closes the wound and also puts a synthetic 'scab' over it aiding in the healing process. Using glue you must get the opposing edges together first then apply the glue over the top, NEVER put glue into a wound then close it, this can lead to horrible after effects as you are stopping the wound underneath healing so the skin heals and you can end up with nasty fungigating access under the skin.
My advice is have all 3, the general rule of thumb I use is:
1. Steroids trips are fine to close simple wounds on flat skin which isn't going to be under much tension, such as foreheads, they will not last on joints and will simply come off.
2. Glue can be used on all wound but is water soluble, so isn't that good on hands if you intend to wash every now and again, once open the tube is done with and will set within 24 hours most medical supplies can't be resealed.
3. Sutures are best for using over joints as they will last the longest and give the strongest closure, but bear in mind there are two types of sutures dissolvable and removable or vicryl and ethilon.

But don't for get there is no reason you can use sterns trips and glue to give very good healing.

My evidence, 12 years as an ED nurse and 6 as an emergency nurse practitioner Smile
And not to blow my own trumpet but I am quite happy to help out with advice if anyone can suggest anything I would be happy to write a bit about things or suggest reading material etc
20 August 2013, 21:27, (This post was last modified: 20 August 2013, 21:28 by Highlander.)
(20 August 2013, 11:46)Bonnox Wrote: I am quite happy to help out with advice if anyone can suggest anything I would be happy to write a bit about things or suggest reading material etc

We always welcome this kind of advice

advice on setting bones maybe,... there maybe no-one else around to help with the bigger medical problems
A major part of survival is invisibility.