Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Compass
3 June 2013, 23:10,
RE: Compass
To be fair, as long as you don't get a small button compass, you should be pretty fine with whatever you choose. Before you buy, check the strength of the construction and housing! That's what will keep your compass alive.

Remember to buy a magnet and keep it the far side of your BOB from your compass (swipe the compass needle with the magnet to realign the North pole, incase the magnet is depolorised or has polarity reversed).
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
4 June 2013, 07:22,
i'd advise against a cheap silva copy, i had one, it was crap,

any of the baseplate silva's for the win!
in some cases, those with the least to say, say the most.....
4 June 2013, 08:51,
Silva compasses are really a mine field for someone like River who is looking for their first compass, they can range in price from £5 to over £150 giving some idea of how big that mine field is

I would certainly not suggest you buy the cheapest, when it comes to compasses, your life could be in danger,.. but I also would never pay out the stupid prices at the top of the range

This is the one I have, in fact I have two, and being ex military I can vouch for them being able to do the job well

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silva-Expediti...43b3909d48
A major part of survival is invisibility.
4 June 2013, 11:56,
unless your going to be doing long military route marches get a basic compass, all you need is something to point you in the right direction.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
4 June 2013, 13:18,
Well what about that! How long have I been hibernating? I didn't know Silva did button, keyring and whistle compasses! Of course, it would have to be a baseplate model to use efficiently with a map...Blush

4 June 2013, 13:54,
(4 June 2013, 11:56)bigpaul Wrote: unless your going to be doing long military route marches get a basic compass, all you need is something to point you in the right direction.

thats quite a general statement and possibly duff info"

if you just need pointed in the right direction you dont need a compass, if you actually want to know where you are, and how to get to where you want to be, you NEED an OS map, and you NEED a compass with basplate.

also knowing how to use them has its advantages too!
in some cases, those with the least to say, say the most.....
4 June 2013, 14:01,
Up here in heavy wooded areas with multiple paths and as I learned the hard way in the ways where there are also boat loads of paths that I need accuracy over convenience, So I go for Mils in general, and am content using degrees when coperating with other folks.

4 June 2013, 14:03,
(4 June 2013, 13:54)Binnie Wrote:
(4 June 2013, 11:56)bigpaul Wrote: unless your going to be doing long military route marches get a basic compass, all you need is something to point you in the right direction.

thats quite a general statement and possibly duff info"

if you just need pointed in the right direction you dont need a compass, if you actually want to know where you are, and how to get to where you want to be, you NEED an OS map, and you NEED a compass with basplate.

might be duff for you but it always worked for me and that includes walking on Dartmoor, just don't put your compass on the barrel of your rifle.Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
4 June 2013, 17:28,
(4 June 2013, 13:54)Binnie Wrote: if you just need pointed in the right direction you dont need a compass, if you actually want to know where you are, and how to get to where you want to be, you NEED an OS map, and you NEED a compass with basplate.

might be duff for you but it always worked for me and that includes walking on Dartmoor, just don't put your compass on the barrel of your rifle.Big Grin
[/quote]
course it helps to know which direction you want to go, a map is always helpful, so is local knowledge.
4 June 2013, 17:41,
Eventually I bought a Silva Compass 4 Militaire - 6400/360

A thing of beauty. Now I need to find out how to use the bad boy

X