Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GEN HELP
3 June 2013, 13:16,
GEN HELP
Im looking to buy a petrol generator it must be at least 1000w 1500w being ideal 2000w starting to get expensive its to run power tools but OBV it will be handy come SHTF can any body give me advice on a good one to buy and where to get it ?
3 June 2013, 13:21,
RE: GEN HELP
If you want branded gear then google plaes like Honda Generators UK, if your not hunting for brands try machine mart ( actuallu machine mart does HONDA and unbranded stuff like Clarkes. their g1200 is an 1100 watt unit and costs only £190

3 June 2013, 13:44,
Thanks NR the brand don't matter just the price and quality of the item I will check out MMBig Grin
3 June 2013, 14:58,
Providing you buy one with a decent engine and give its lots of loving oil changes AND its got a Brushless generator and solid state rectifier it should last for years.

3 June 2013, 15:27,
(3 June 2013, 13:21)NorthernRaider Wrote: If you want branded gear then google plaes like Honda Generators UK, if your not hunting for brands try machine mart ( actuallu machine mart does HONDA and unbranded stuff like Clarkes. their g1200 is an 1100 watt unit and costs only £190

Yes I just checked their 4.5KVA electric start at

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/produc...r-fg4050es

Ahh River Song - thou shalt not covet thy brothers genny.
3 June 2013, 17:07,
Think about a diesel genny run it on red diesel.
Failure is NOT an option
3 June 2013, 19:58,
never had one, but ive been told, and read, that diesel is better than petrol, they run at much lower revs, last longer, and use less fuel. oh, and of the many generators we sold at the shop, before we lost the retail war, we got back most of the petrol ones we sold, usually knackered and with burnt out motors in months.
we almost never saw the diesel ones again.
Its on my list, of things to get, a nice diesel genny.
3 June 2013, 20:34,
A good diesel gennie CAN if cared for have a service lifetime rated in decades, but most ( not all) petrol gennies lives are rated in hundreds of hours. A diesel cos of the torque created and simple ignition system can generate peak power at as little as 1400 to 1800 rpm, thus the oil gets an easier life and the heavy cast of the block gets a softer ride. But petrol gennies have to be revved to get decent enough torque to turn a brushless or coreless alternator and that isften 45000, to 6000 rpm and sadly petrol engines wear quicker.

At ICI we used to hae a handfull of single cyl and twin cyl lister diesels connected to pumps or alternators for mobile site maintenence, apparently they were originally cobbled together by the lads just after WW2. They got oil changes every six weeks and just went on and on and on.

3 June 2013, 21:31,
I have this one, I am able to plug into an outside wall socket [ just like a caravan electric plug in ] I have a special switch in the house that offers me `gen on, Mains off`, `Mains on, Gen off`, so I dont electrocute the electrician fixing the power,... and I have not had a problem,... I can run most of the house from it including two freezers,... you have to manage your power, some things you have on, some things you cant unless you turn something off,.. but generally I can have the freezers and the telly, and most lights on at once, but would probably turn a light off to boil the kettle

http://www.screwfix.com/p/sdmo-technic-3...110v/37430
A major part of survival is invisibility.