Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Front door security
11 June 2013, 11:39, (This post was last modified: 11 June 2013, 11:54 by NorthernRaider.)
RE: Front door security
depends in the country where you are, I think only one or two companies ctually make them and then they are sold through various shops, hardwear stores and UPVC window companies. I think both Jewsons and B & Q stock them.

I get a local free newspaper called the Advertiser I believe they are available under various titles across the country and in mines there are three or four companies advertising steel laminated doors installed.

BTW be careful folks some companies market UPVC / Foam doors as COMPOSITE doors, we are talking about the steel/wood/steel composite or laminate doors. Oddly enough I note that on many new housing developments companies like Persimmon homes often fit steel laminated front doors to new builds.

this looks good and their is a box for searching for local suppliers on a neighbouring web page

http://en.jeld-wen.ca/exterior_doors/ste...t_flamand/

11 June 2013, 16:04,
(5 June 2013, 19:22)BeardyMan Wrote: No upvc door on the new place, just wood. Old wood at that.

Lots of people rent too, landlords get a bit funny about people swapping doors over.

You dont need to break the door to get in, you cam snap the cylinder in a normal lock in seconds, dont even need a pick.

Pre SHTF these are a good idea,if you have the money and are allowed to change the door, after the event if people are knocking on your door it may be too late

please explain how to snap a cyllinder lock
Survive the jive (youtube )
11 June 2013, 16:43,
(11 June 2013, 16:04)Sunna Wrote:
(5 June 2013, 19:22)BeardyMan Wrote: No upvc door on the new place, just wood. Old wood at that.

Lots of people rent too, landlords get a bit funny about people swapping doors over.

You dont need to break the door to get in, you cam snap the cylinder in a normal lock in seconds, dont even need a pick.

Pre SHTF these are a good idea,if you have the money and are allowed to change the door, after the event if people are knocking on your door it may be too late

please explain how to snap a cyllinder lock

Copy your question above into Google Wink

Not being wilfully unhelpful, but you gotta be careful what you post.
11 June 2013, 16:58,
Has anyone considered going slightly too extreme, but might be a reasonable idea for post SHTF.

I've frequently considered the viability of doing this, but that probably just makes me a nutter....as you all already realised.

First off, you need a hole (2-3 feet deep) just behind your door, on the inside of your house (told you it was extreme).

Then insert a metal cylinder into that hole. Maybe something a bit thicker than a scaffholding tube. This is best concreted in place. Have a small recess below the level of floor so that you can cover the hole of the tube with a small piece of ply. This is for health and safety reasons.

Keep a section of metal scaffholding in your understairs cupboard. This pole should be about 1 meter higher than the depth of your hole.

Next up comes a strong door with a metal back plate, that just happens to be on your understairs cupboard (proving it is a full size door to the cupboard).

WTSHTF, you swap your front door for your cupboard door, obviously the cupboard needs locks just like a house door would have. Once the new metal plated front door is in place, out comes that scaffholding pole! Once the scaffholding is in place, you have a VERY secure door.

To make it even more fun, look into having 2 or 3 of the poles in place!

If my idea doesn't make sense, think of it as being something like one of these:

http://www.speed-ramps-uk.com/retractapo...tAod7UkAng

But inside your house, behind a door that can't be broken.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
11 June 2013, 17:06,
(11 June 2013, 16:58)Scythe13 Wrote: Has anyone considered going slightly too extreme, but might be a reasonable idea for post SHTF.

I've frequently considered the viability of doing this, but that probably just makes me a nutter....as you all already realised.

First off, you need a hole (2-3 feet deep) just behind your door, on the inside of your house (told you it was extreme).

Then insert a metal cylinder into that hole. Maybe something a bit thicker than a scaffholding tube. This is best concreted in place. Have a small recess below the level of floor so that you can cover the hole of the tube with a small piece of ply. This is for health and safety reasons.

Keep a section of metal scaffholding in your understairs cupboard. This pole should be about 1 meter higher than the depth of your hole.

Next up comes a strong door with a metal back plate, that just happens to be on your understairs cupboard (proving it is a full size door to the cupboard).

WTSHTF, you swap your front door for your cupboard door, obviously the cupboard needs locks just like a house door would have. Once the new metal plated front door is in place, out comes that scaffholding pole! Once the scaffholding is in place, you have a VERY secure door.

To make it even more fun, look into having 2 or 3 of the poles in place!

If my idea doesn't make sense, think of it as being something like one of these:

http://www.speed-ramps-uk.com/retractapo...tAod7UkAng

But inside your house, behind a door that can't be broken.

Frequently used by drug dealers to give them enough time to flush the stash should 5-0 arrive unannounced. Takes 'em ages to get through, unless you take the door frame out. You can get the same kind of thing
for a front door, it's a thick extendable pole with rubber grippers on the bottom (for carpet) which pushes up against the lock / handle of the door. Not as good as one in a hole in the ground, but less likely to enrage the landlord
13 June 2013, 10:04, (This post was last modified: 13 June 2013, 10:05 by Scythe13.)
(11 June 2013, 17:06)BeardyMan Wrote: Frequently used by drug dealers to give them enough time to flush the stash should 5-0 arrive unannounced. Takes 'em ages to get through, unless you take the door frame out. You can get the same kind of thing
for a front door, it's a thick extendable pole with rubber grippers on the bottom (for carpet) which pushes up against the lock / handle of the door. Not as good as one in a hole in the ground, but less likely to enrage the landlord

As long as you cover the hole (just pull up the carpet and sink a 4 inch square by a centimetre or so, to then cover with rubber bottomed plysection that ends up being flush to the concrete base) and use carpet to cover it, then you're smooth sailing.

Landlord will never know, until you leave, and by then you would have sold your dru.......house.....urm..... you'd be gone!
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin